Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Canon EOS 60D 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Looks like Canon have announced the EOS 60D.

Initial impressions are that I'm not that upset I got the 50D earlier this year.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:52 am

It's an odd thing is this. It sits awkwardly between the 550D and the 7D.
At the moment I don't really know what to make of it. Obviously, if the video side of it's operation is what grabs you then it is a very capable camera, but as a stills camera it's positioned oddly.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:59 am
Profile WWW

Looks like a good replacment for the 50D especially if you want HD video. I like the 1080p 24fps option! It is getting dangerously close to the 7D though. I think the 7D does 8fps and has 100% viewfinder coverage but still......

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:24 am
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
It's an odd thing is this. It sits awkwardly between the 50D and the 7D.

I agree it sits oddly, but it's not between the 50D (which it effectively replaces) and the 7D, it's the 550D/600D (Not sure if the 600D has been released yet) and the 7D. The 7D has, to my mind, thrown a bit of a spanner into the heirarchy. I see it as something like this:

xxxxD - Absolute novice, stripped down version of the xxxD
xxxD - Standard entry point
xxD - Used to sit just below the 5D, as a "serious amateur" type upgrade for those not wanting/needing/being able to afford a pro body
5DII/7D - The 5D II is a seriously good camera, that's definitely "semi-pro" or "pro-backup" and I know a number of pros do just use 5Ds instead of the 1Ds. I see the 7D as the non-full-frame equivalent, that's faster and with better AF. Both do high quality video, although the 7D is newer and better on that front.
1D(s) - The pro-level bricks. The 1Ds being full-frame (but more studio-y than the 5DII in my mind, although I have zero justification), and the 1D IV is just machine-gun fast.

This is just how I see the range, mind.

timark_uk wrote:
Edward Armitage is Awesome. Yes, that's right. Awesome with a A.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:49 am

EddArmitage wrote:
timark_uk wrote:
It's an odd thing is this. It sits awkwardly between the 50D and the 7D.
I agree it sits oddly, but it's not between the 50D (which it effectively replaces) and the 7D, it's the 550D/600D
I did actually mean the 550D in my original post. I'll go and edit it now for clarity.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Given what Canon decided to do with the 550D there was bound to be a bit more of an overlap int he range than there was before.

One thing that did strike me is that they've dropped CF support in the 60D and gone for SDXC like they did with the 550D. I haven't seen any SDXC cards that can match the transfer rates of CF cards yet though (the top rate in the SDXC standard is faster than CF I think). It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up for continuous shooting as it's a bit slower than the 50D (5.3 vs 6.3 fps until the buffer is full) although that's presumably mainly down to the larger image size.

Still, some useful stuff on there like an electronic level meter. There's an in depth preview up on DP Review.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:03 pm

davrosG5 wrote:
Given what Canon decided to do with the 550D there was bound to be a bit more of an overlap int he range than there was before.

Now I reckoned it was the introduction of the 7D that created the overlap. I presumed the next xxD model would be similar (although not *quite* as good - only one processor, for example) as what the 7D ended up being. That and the fact it caused the 50D not to be updated for a good long while.

timark_uk wrote:
Edward Armitage is Awesome. Yes, that's right. Awesome with a A.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]