Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Tripod and head issues. 
Doesn't have much of a life

Hi.

Last year, I bought a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and a Giottos Series 2 ball head (MH1302-652). There is a problem, in that the head mounting plate of the tripod is much larger diameter than the base of the head itself and the head-securing screws are not usable.

So, a solution was easy as I wanted a Giottos monopod (MML3270B) and I want a Manfrotto joystick ball head (327RC2). The Giottos head would remain with the Giottos monopod and the Manfrotto head with the Manfrotto tripod.

Unfortunately, the Giottos monopod base is a similar (actually slightly larger) size to the Manfrotto tripod head and the screws are still not usable to secure the Giottos head. :roll: The base disk is removable and the head can be secured simply by hand-tightening the head, but surely that isn't the point!

I want to buy the Manfrotto head next month, but I am concerned about the choice and whether I will still have issues. Online, they all look the same size, relative to the rest of the product.

Any thoughts?

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Tue May 17, 2011 8:57 pm

The screws are just an additional bit of security. My ball head for the monopod doesn't have any screws and it holds the 10--400mm lens and 40D/battery grip very well. Just check the head is tight on the tripod before you attach the camera.

Al

PS Warehouse express have sizes on all their heads - diameter of the base. You can check there.

Al

Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 pm

onemac wrote:
PS Warehouse express have sizes on all their heads - diameter of the base. You can check there.

Al

I've noticed this snippet of information on Warehouse Express..

Quote:
Designed to fit all Giottos tripod legs (the 1312 has a larger base area than its predecessor the 1302) and comes complete with a 5 year warranty.

but the size given in specifications is 10.1cm for the Giottos and 10cm for the Manfrotto, but the base dia is about 6cm. I haven't seen the diameter listed anywhere. The above seems to refer to the height, and indeed in some specs' it states- "Height".

The instructions for the tripod/monopod do mention the screws, but they are unusable on both of my products. I have to fully tighten the rotation locking screw to fit and remove the head. Sometimes it doesn't play ball and I fear doing some damage.

Anyway, thanks for the input, Al. :)

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Just to get things straight in my head, the question you are asking is what Manfrotto joystick ball head will fit the Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod, right?

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu May 19, 2011 11:38 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
Just to get things straight in my head, the question you are asking is what Manfrotto joystick ball head will fit the Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod, right?

Mark

Not exactly. When I received my Manfrotto tripod and Giottos head, I was thinking that I had made a mistake, mixing and matching, because the Manfrotto mounting base was huge, compared to the bottom of the head. And, the securing screws are set in such a way that they are unusable.

When I bought the Giottos monopod, I was surprised to find that this was exactly the same, so I thought that maybe buying a Manfrotto head (which I want anyway) would still leave me in the same situation.

OK, so the screws are not essential, but by hand-tightening the Giottos head, I was a little worried that I might damage it, as sometimes it takes a bit of force to tighten the base-rotation locking screw to remove the head. If it slips at all, I thought I might eventually wear it out.

Anyhow, having looked at some other heads on Warehouse Express last night, I found this...

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-wim ... i/p1012216

And it looks as though the base is not the full diameter, and that the screws secure at the sides, rather than press against the base. I am starting to think now that tripod/monopod bases are all the same size and that the screws- where fitted- are also a standard setting. I just hadn't realised that until now (assuming that is correct).

If anyone can tell me anything different, that's great, but I think that I've got to grips with it now. Thanks.

My Flickr

Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]