Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Best : Cheap new or old higher range DSLR? 
Officially Mrs saspro

Hi guys :)
I have a Nikon FM (f mount lenses). I'd like to buy a DSLR soon ideally compatible with the lenses.

Is it better to buy a middle of range new camera or a slightly older camera from higher range? Any models I should look for (with price range ideally?)

Cheers!

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:12 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Budget?

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:17 pm
Officially Mrs saspro

<£400 for the body.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

TBH I'd go recent-ish second hand. If you look at the last few iterations in the low end DSLR stuff, it's either been incremental changes that aren't deeply significant (14MP rather than 12MP sensors for example) or features you don't really buy a DSLR for anyway (like HD video recording). A two-generation ago Canon (say) will do just as well as an up to date one for 90% of the things you'd need it for.

The only real significant improvement (as has been discussed elsewhere on X404) is the way that high-ISO performance has come on. If you're thinking of taking a lot of shots that will need high ISO, then some of the new stuff is way better than even the stuff from a year ago.

All IMO, of course.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:18 pm

Your lenses will be full frame compatible but you'll not get an FX Nikon DSLR for your budget. Good value for money would be something like a D3000 body only, Which you should be able to pick up for under £300 these days.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Be aware too that although older Nikkor lenses will still work in manual mode, depending on the lens, you may not get full metering and AF capabilities. If the lens is a pre-CPU so doesn't have a microprocessor inside, a D3000 may not know what it is and so not be able to control it's aperture and focus in any auto mode.
I don't know what lenses you have but have a look here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm before you decide what body to buy.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:29 pm

nvj1662 wrote:
If the lens is a pre-CPU so doesn't have a microprocessor inside, a D3000 may not know what it is and so not be able to control it's aperture and focus in any auto mode.
From what I gather the lenses all have manual aperture control on them, so if TheFrenchun has got used to using the manual settings of the lens it'll not really be an issue for her to carry on that way, I would suspect.
It's always a consideration though, and one that I hadn't properly taken in to account when looking at bodies within budget, so good to be reminded about.

Mark

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Officially Mrs saspro

Indeed. I have a fully mechanical lense and what is a AI converted one I believe ( with the metal prongs). Both with aperture rings.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:49 pm
Profile WWW

I'm far from an expert (In fact I'm very cautious of being more harm than good) but I have a feeling that any lens that could autofocus would require the autofocus motor to be in the body of the camera, and I'm not sure if the D3000 does or doesn't. In conclusion; I'm all very confused.

timark_uk wrote:
Edward Armitage is Awesome. Yes, that's right. Awesome with a A.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm
Officially Mrs saspro

I have this one, with the silver ring http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50f18E.htm

as well as this one
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/4386mm1.htm

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:30 pm
Profile WWW

EddArmitage wrote:
I'm far from an expert (In fact I'm very cautious of being more harm than good) but I have a feeling that any lens that could autofocus would require the autofocus motor to be in the body of the camera, and I'm not sure if the D3000 does or doesn't. In conclusion; I'm all very confused.

For an AF motor in the body a D80 or upwards is required. I'm not sure if maybe some of the more recent lower models were given this feature or not.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:41 pm

The D3000 does not have an in-body auto focus motor.
Whether this will be a problem or not only the OP can answer.

Mark

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]