Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Aluminium MacBooks go Pro 
Occasionally has a life

The missus is buying a new camera this week and she'll be getting a 300x CF with memory cards being cheap as they are you had might as well get a quick one. Also a faster card will help when using burst mode.

If you have an SD camera check this out, very neat and tidy. And if you do studio work this is a must buy.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/10/eye- ... -hands-on/

Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:08 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

£900 for the 13" MBP with backlit keys and a 7 hour battery, compared to £1100 when it was just a macbook, it's very tempting now that my phone contract has expired (it is relevant - stick with me) and I'm bored of my current laptop. After seeing that Snow Leopard is going to be a £30 upgrade, compared to W7 which is likely to be closer to £100, it's frighteningly tempting and I mean that in all seriousness. May go over to PAYG and put the £25 per month towards a credit agreement...barely use my phone and it is money down the drain.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

gavomatic57 wrote:
£900 for the 13" MBP with backlit keys and a 7 hour battery, compared to £1100 when it was just a macbook, it's very tempting now that my phone contract has expired (it is relevant - stick with me) and I'm bored of my current laptop. After seeing that Snow Leopard is going to be a £30 upgrade, compared to W7 which is likely to be closer to £100, it's frighteningly tempting and I mean that in all seriousness. May go over to PAYG and put the £25 per month towards a credit agreement...barely use my phone and it is money down the drain.

If you buy the Mac between now and the release of Snow Leopard, the new OS will only cost you the P&P according to the Snow Leopard tech specs page...

Quote:
Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program.

If you purchased a qualifying Mac on or after June 8, 2009, that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade for £7.95

Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:19 pm
Profile WWW

forquare1 wrote:
gavomatic57 wrote:

If you buy the Mac between now and the release of Snow Leopard, the new OS will only cost you the P&P according to the Snow Leopard tech specs page...

Quote:
Snow Leopard Up-to-Date Program.

If you purchased a qualifying Mac on or after June 8, 2009, that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade for £7.95

That's quite incredible!

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Despite what all the fanboys have been saying for months, Apple finally realised that fleecing the punters has a limited future and added value, reducing costs and nice little deals as aforementioned are the order of the day.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:10 pm
Occasionally has a life

The only reason Snow Leopard is that cheap is because it's things under the hood that have changed not too many extra features. I think the regular price of OS X would be justified for the new OS as it will give you back disk space be quicker and smoother. These aren't things that the general user would be too interested in, but if it's only $29 then that'll seem a great deal, which it is.

That's my opinion.

I would like to see iLife be bundled into OS X, but that's being greedy as iLife is rather good value.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

gavomatic57 wrote:

Do it, do it! You'll be helping the economy too.

Edit:

not sure if you've been over to the Mac Software forum but there is "speculation" that Snow Leopard will cost £19
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.c ... id=117190&

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:07 pm
Profile WWW

Whoa! Hold it right there!

Gav, are you feeling alright? I did just read you were really considering the purchase of an Apple notebook? I mean, that's a laptop made by Apple, with an Apple badge and everything?

*goes back and checks*

Yep, it's not just my eyes. Has anyone spotted shipments of hot water bottles and mufflers to Hell?

:)

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:25 pm

HeatherKay wrote:

Gav, are you feeling alright? I did just read you were really considering the purchase of an Apple notebook? I mean, that's a laptop made by Apple, with an Apple badge and everything?

*goes back and checks*

Yep, it's not just my eyes. Has anyone spotted shipments of hot water bottles and mufflers to Hell?

He's not the only one, that's not a bad price for a(n Apple) laptop.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm

It's the same price my MacBook was when they were announced, for just over £900 I got:
60GB hdd
1GB RAM
2GHz Core Duo
Integrated graphics
FireWire 400
5hr batter
Scrabble keyboard (which I love, but backlit FTW!)
DVD burner

Compared to that, the new MacBooks Pros are an absolute bargain, Mac wise...

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:59 pm
Profile WWW

HeatherKay wrote:

*goes back and checks*

Well, the way I see it, Snow Leopard is a step in the right direction, it won't cost much to upgrade and Windows 7 is unbearable expensive sh**e, so maybe it's time to back a more UNIX-flavoured horse. It's a nice laptop and an a more acceptable price. We'll see. I'm getting married in January and have a honeymoon to save for, but I'll have a chat with the nice people at Comet and see what they can come up with. The 7 hour battery is also very appealing. Mine won't boot without being plugged in now.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Comet?

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

HeatherKay wrote:

*goes back and checks*

I think Gareth has hijacked his account! :lol:

Seriously though Gav. They are excellent machines and that price doesn't seem bad for the 13". I've been eyeing the 17", they've dropped it $300 on the German site, but it is still $1,000 more than America and $1500 more than a non-Apple 17" notebook. I'm tempted, but the price is still way too high.

But that is how I got my iMac, when they were released, they were excellent value for money, so there wasn't anything to lose. Go for it, you won't regret it and even if you don't get on with OS X, you can still put Linux or Windows on it - or do like I do, run Linux and Windows in VMs :D

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:51 pm
Profile ICQ

DaftFunk wrote:
Comet?

Yeah, the only other place around here you can buy one...the other place is PC World...

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

ahhhhhh a clear choice of the two.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next