Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Twitter hype punctured by study 
Site Admin

Quote:
Micro-blogging service Twitter remains the preserve of a few, despite the hype surrounding it, according to research.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8089508.stm

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:49 am
Profile WWW

Heh. I saw that story earlier.

Twitter certainly appears to be all about hype with little substance. It'll all be over by the summer, with something else rising to take its place.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 am
What's a life?

I'm thinking about a service called Idioter, where you can send yourself 'dolts' which are limited to 12 characters.
It'll be great.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Twitter is pretty pathetic and very self-indulgent, but it isn't blocked at work and allows me to update my facebook status, should I feel the need to (facebook is blocked unfortunately), so it has a use.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:06 pm
Profile WWW

As I'm making tentative preparations to stand as an independent candidate at the next general election, I find I may have to acquaint myself with being a twit after all.

I did consider signing up a while back, and just posting about how bored I was all the time.

"What are you doing now?"
"Twittering boring things. Again."

"Being boring about boredom. I could bore for England, me. How boring is that? Hang on, time for some tedium."

Do you think it might catch on?

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:15 pm
Occasionally has a life

Twitter isn't for everyone, it has it's uses though. Being able to interact with friends making small talk in those moments of boredom. It's quite good for embedding onto a webpage to keep customers notified of whatever you do. It's nice to get a feel for the company knowing they actually exist, more human. Not sure I'm explaining it right but hope you get the jist.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 pm
Profile WWW

DaftFunk wrote:
Not sure I'm explaining it right but hope you get the jist.

It's okay, I do sort of "get" Twitter. It's just not for me.

I like to use more than 140 characters when I let forth, so I'd find myself horribly restricted. I can see how it can be useful for some purposes, though it does appear right now to be the "Hey, look! Aren't we hip and with it, 'cos we got Twitter and stuff!" thing of the moment for a lot of organisations.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:06 pm
What's a life?

HeatherKay wrote:
As I'm making tentative preparations to stand as an independent candidate at the next general election, I find I may have to acquaint myself with being a twit after all.

Twit is a registered trademark of This Week in Tech (Leo Laporte) and his Twit Army. You'll be a Twitterer or Tweeter. ;)

Interestingly, Twitter haven't trademarked anything, yet...

BTW, it is worth checking out TWiT (http://www.twit.tv), he runs a range of live casts and podcasts for a lot of tech interests. I subscribe to MacBreak Weekly, Windows Weekly, TWiT, Security Now and net@night. The shows are usually very amusing and often very informative.

Edit: Oh, and GizWiz with Dick DeBartolo (from MAD magazine) is usually a hoot (a daily short podcast about a gadget. The Friday ones, where they delve back into tech history can get very nostalgic.

HeatherKay wrote:
I did consider signing up a while back, and just posting about how bored I was all the time.

"Twittering boring things. Again."

"Being boring about boredom. I could bore for England, me. How boring is that? Hang on, time for some tedium."

Do you think it might catch on?

I don't tweet much, but it has provided a couple of interesting information feeds. For a few of the blogs I follow, it is certainly a much more informative and immediate way of getting updates than RSS.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:08 am
Profile ICQ
Dennis Magazines

Twitter is a mine of information, informed comment and humour, if you choose your followees carefully. If you don’t then yes, it’s full of crap.

As for the BBC story, what a load of garbage.

Quote:
Just 10% of Twitter users generate more than 90% of the content, a Harvard study of 300,000 users found.
Estimates suggest it now has more than 10 million users and is growing faster than any other social network.

So that’s 1 million active users, hardly the “preserve of a few”, as the BBC describes it in the first paragraph.

But this is the best sentence: “And most people only ever ‘tweet’once during their lifetime, the researchers found.”

How the [LIFTED] can they know that? Twitter is three years old. Most lifetimes last a lot longer.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:27 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I probably tweet far too much for some people. My sister has complained that it’s cluttering up her Facebook profile :D

Mind you, if I didn’t tweet, certain people would not be entertained by my regular iPhone autocorrect FAILs.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:12 pm
What's a life?

You tweet too much?

You should try following bobgarret, mediaprince or newyorkdj (I think, he's stopped following me). NY DJ was tweeting pop video links about every 20 seconds! :shock:

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:13 am
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

I follow Bill Bailey, which is amusing...if a little surreal...

Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]