Google and Twitter crumble under Jackson traffic 
Spends far too much time on here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8120324.stm

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:26 am

Continued from the meeting place:
pg2114 wrote:
Nick wrote:
That means they couldn't handle the traffic. ;)

No, it was to stop automatic scripts. Nothing to do with Google not being able to handle the traffic.

Peter.

The traffic was not automated scripts, so shouldn't have been blocked. That, by definition, means they couldn't handle it. :roll:

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:52 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

We get that page at work quite a lot, I wonder if Google's algorithm looks at the IP range...In this case, the IP range of various ISP's could be blocked because of high traffic...

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:27 am
Profile WWW

Do you mean at home or at work?

If you mean at home, then perhaps the IP your ISP has given you was previously used by someone who's computer was being used as part of a bot-net??

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:32 am

At home...

I'm wondering if the Google algorithm saw lots of similar requests coming from the IP range 86.10.100.xxx to 86.10.110.xxx then would that cause it to think that the IP range was perhaps a bot-net...If it just happens that your ISP gave you an IP in that range (because that was the IP range they owned) and you joined the masses looking at some big news, the algorithm would see you as part of this 'bot-net' and give you that page...

Basically, does it look for single IP addresses, or for IP ranges?

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:47 am
Profile WWW

Well, we can only speculate of course but I wouldn't imagine they would associate IP address ranges with a bot-net.

My understanding of a bot-net is a collection of machines which have been "taken over" by a piece of malware. I understand them to be spread around the world, and therefore across lots of different ISPs so that wouldn't be effective?

Of course, if someone had bought a load of IPs, and set-up some sort of bot-net farm somewhere then it would work, but I'm not sure how common this is.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Nick wrote:
Well, we can only speculate of course but I wouldn't imagine they would associate IP address ranges with a bot-net.

My understanding of a bot-net is a collection of machines which have been "taken over" by a piece of malware. I understand them to be spread around the world, and therefore across lots of different ISPs so that wouldn't be effective?

Of course, if someone had bought a load of IPs, and set-up some sort of bot-net farm somewhere then it would work, but I'm not sure how common this is.

I get multiple spam hits from consecutive IPs a lot. You look them up, and it's all from the same company. Luckily I use a free host so I don't care, and it's only ever a few dozen hits anyway.

It's just about "unusual patterns" of traffic. The AI isn't perfect, and doesn't read the news.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:10 pm
Profile WWW

JJW009 wrote:
The AI isn't perfect, and doesn't read the news.

Let's be honest though, it should do.

I mean, Google run their own news service. They know what the popular stories are, they've already written an algorithm somewhere to figure it out.

Why then, does it take them by surprise when people start punching those phrases into their search engine?

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]