Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Apple record earnings 
Occasionally has a life

If you're referring to the 17" Macbook Pro then XSL8-Q9550 is what I would call "High End" CC. If that once again confuses, compare the spec sheets between it and the 17" Macbook Pro.

Processor

Quad Q9550 2.83GHz, 1333FSB, 12Mb Cache for the XSL8_Q9550

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz 6Mb L2 Cache for the Mac

Graphics

2x Nvidia GeForce Go 9800M GTX 1GB for the XSL8_Q9550

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB for the Mac.

I could go on but the specs are there for yourself to read. Add to it a 3 year warranty and you start to see the macbook a little...erm, whats the term, mid-range?

If you're on about the 15" Macbook Pro then why? As said by monkeyphonix 15" laptops aren't what you would class as high end anyway.

Fri May 01, 2009 9:57 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

monkeyphonix wrote:
High end laptops don't have 15" screens.

High end 15" laptops do.

Fri May 01, 2009 11:04 pm
Occasionally has a life

ChurchCat wrote:
monkeyphonix wrote:
High end laptops don't have 15" screens.

High end 15" laptops do.

If you believe that I have a Bentley with a 2.0 Diesel engine in it I want to sell you.

Fri May 01, 2009 11:13 pm

stuartpengs wrote:

If you're on about the 15" Macbook Pro then why? As said by monkeyphonix 15" laptops aren't what you would class as high end anyway.

Every category has a range of spec.

Integrated, tower, laptops of various screen size from 7" (netbooks) to 20"+, shuffle, etc.

Apple make some of the best 15" laptops out there. If you think that they are "mid range" I think you are mistaken. To be "mid range" there has to be at least 60% of the competition with lower spec. As far as I can see that is not the case.

It may be that the 17" laptops are not the very very best out there but seriously are they mid range in most shops?

People often say that Apple users suffer from reality distortion. Whilst this may be true it seems that it is not confined to Apple users.

;)

Fri May 01, 2009 11:22 pm
Occasionally has a life

ChurchCat wrote:
stuartpengs wrote:

Every category has a range of spec.

Integrated, tower, laptops of various screen size from 7" (netbooks) to 20"+, shuffle, etc.

Apple make some of the best 15" laptops out there. If you think that they are "mid range" I think you are mistaken. To be "mid range" there has to be at least 60% of the competition with lower spec. As far as I can see that is not the case.

It may be that the 17" laptops are not the very very best out there but seriously are they mid range in most shops?

People often say that Apple users suffer from reality distortion. Whilst this may be true it seems that it is not confined to Apple users.

;)

I have an alu body Macbook. Is it 'high end' or is it 'mid range' or is it Apple's 'low end' being cheaper than the Pro and Air. Is it prettier than the competition ? Almost certainly. Is the spec higher for the price ? No way. DOes it have redeeming features for price ? Absolutely.

Are Alfa Romeo cars pretty ? Most certainly. Are they prettier then Bentley's ? I think so. Are they higher spec ? Are they [LIFTED] !

Fri May 01, 2009 11:34 pm

monkeyphonix wrote:

I have an alu body Macbook. Is it 'high end' or is it 'mid range'

I think that it is mid to high end

monkeyphonix wrote:

or is it Apple's 'low end' being cheaper than the Pro and Air.

In the case of the Air they are different types of computer, so you are comparing apples to pears

monkeyphonix wrote:

Is it prettier than the competition ?

Yes

monkeyphonix wrote:

Is the spec higher for the price ?

In most areas no.

monkeyphonix wrote:

DOes it have redeeming features for price ?

Yes

monkeyphonix wrote:

Are Alfa Romeo cars pretty ?

I don't know

monkeyphonix wrote:

Are they prettier then Bentley's ?

I don't know

monkeyphonix wrote:

Are they higher spec ?

I don't know, maybe is some respects, is it relevant?

Fri May 01, 2009 11:45 pm
Occasionally has a life

ChurchCat wrote:
monkeyphonix wrote:

I have an alu body Macbook. Is it 'high end' or is it 'mid range'

I think that it is mid to high end

monkeyphonix wrote:

or is it Apple's 'low end' being cheaper than the Pro and Air.

In the case of the Air they are different types of computer, so you are comparing apples to pears

monkeyphonix wrote:

Is it prettier than the competition ?

Yes

monkeyphonix wrote:

Is the spec higher for the price ?

In most areas no.

monkeyphonix wrote:

DOes it have redeeming features for price ?

Yes

monkeyphonix wrote:

Are Alfa Romeo cars pretty ?

I don't know

monkeyphonix wrote:

Are they prettier then Bentley's ?

I don't know

monkeyphonix wrote:

Are they higher spec ?

I don't know, maybe is some respects, is it relevant?

Rather than common sense dictating what is high end, e.g the spec, you seem to have some up with your own criteria, I was just using that logic there.

I think Stupengs was right, its spec, like anything else. If it was Handbags, well a Prada may be 'high end' compared to a one from Next. But its not, its computers and the bits are generic, mostly. Are you trying to be the replacement Marklar77/Swissmac/Macpheasto illogical type person ?

Fri May 01, 2009 11:50 pm

monkeyphonix wrote:
I think Stupengs was right, its spec, like anything else. If it was Handbags, well a Prada may be 'high end' compared to a one from Next. But its not, its computers and the bits are generic, mostly. Are you trying to be the replacement Marklar77/Swissmac/Macpheasto illogical type person ?

I think Stuart is mistaken.

Apple don't sell components they sell computers. They compete is some areas of the computer market and not in others. In the area they compete in they tend to go for the higher end rather than the lower. Where is the lack of logic in that?

:?

Fri May 01, 2009 11:55 pm
Occasionally has a life

ChurchCat wrote:
monkeyphonix wrote:

I think Stuart is mistaken.

Apple don't sell components they sell computers. They compete is some areas of the computer market and not in others. In the area they compete in they tend to go for the higher end rather than the lower. Where is the lack of logic in that?

Following that logic I was draw a comparison. Marks and Spencers dont just sell food they sell M&S food. Just like Apple they want the customers to believe that the products they sell are of higher quality than others. In some cases this is true. Marks and Spencers cakes, truly are better than Bobby's or Asda Smart Price. I won't argue there for a moment, no siree. Marks and Spencers don't want to compete with Bobby's and Asda smart price though. They are lots more money than M&S though, I won't lie about it.

However, because there are lots of cakes which are much better than M&S on the market, using higher quality and spec ingredients, but they are lots more money than M&S though, I won't lie about it. M&S cannot be considered a 'high-end' vendor of cakes. Just mid range at best. With the low end accolade being awarded to Happy Shopper (Advent), Asda Smart Price (Compaq) or Bobby's (Dell).

Sat May 02, 2009 12:12 am

monkeyphonix wrote:
Following that logic I was draw a comparison. Marks and Spencers dont just sell food they sell M&S food. Just like Apple they want the customers to believe that the products they sell are of higher quality than others. In some cases this is true. Marks and Spencers cakes, truly are better than Bobby's or Asda Smart Price. I won't argue there for a moment, no siree. Marks and Spencers don't want to compete with Bobby's and Asda smart price though. They are lots more money than M&S though, I won't lie about it.

However, because there are lots of cakes which are much better than M&S on the market, using higher quality and spec ingredients, but they are lots more money than M&S though, I won't lie about it. M&S cannot be considered a 'high-end' vendor of cakes. Just mid range at best. With the low end accolade being awarded to Happy Shopper (Advent), Asda Smart Price (Compaq) or Bobby's (Dell).

Sorry I don't understand the cake analogy

I in an arbitrary way consider the top third in any category to be high end.

What percentage of any catagory do you consider high end?

In the case of 15" laptops to continue the example what percentage sold are "higher end" than the MacBook Pro?

Sat May 02, 2009 12:28 am
Has a life

Mixing high end "price" with high end "specs"

Yes there is definitely a market for high end "price" laptops as demostrated by Apple.

But are they high spec? Any I mean pure spec, none of that aesthetics, build etc etc, just hardware. Not compared to the rest of the competition. Maybe possibly, if you take into account the size of laptop it is compacted in.. but I haven't compared and cannot say.

So first you need to decide whether you are arguing about "high end spec" or "up market" laptops.

Not with you on the food analogy though, since taste is very subjective so not very easy to benchmark ;) .

Sat May 02, 2009 1:39 pm

Vigil wrote:

But are they high spec? Any I mean pure spec, none of that aesthetics, build etc etc, just hardware.

Well the build is part of the hardware, but even if we ignore that. Staying with the one example

MacBook Pro
15-inch:
2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
320GB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
Illuminated keyboard

What percentage of 15' laptops in most stores online or otherwise would make that spec look mid range?

Sat May 02, 2009 2:31 pm

ChurchCat wrote:

Apple don't sell components

They actually do, but they are priced just as high as their computers!
They want £80 for 2gb RAM for a unibody macbook...
They want £800 for 8gb RAM for an imac...
They want £635 for a 24" monitor...

They definitely have a sense of humour!

Sat May 02, 2009 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

Like someone's said... high spec laptops don't usually come in 15"

Really depends if you want to restrict it to just 15" laptops :/

Sat May 02, 2009 5:37 pm
Occasionally has a life

gavomatic57 wrote:
They actually do, but they are priced just as high as their computers!
They want £80 for 2gb RAM for a unibody macbook...
They want £800 for 8gb RAM for an imac...
They want £635 for a 24" monitor...

They definitely have a sense of humour!

... £280 for a HD4870...
£166 for an 8800GT...
£120 for a GT 120 [9500GT]...

but as you can't just use any old 4870/8800gt/etc... you have no choice but to pay those prices... at least with the RAM and monitor can go elsewhere for them...

Sat May 02, 2009 7:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next