Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Theresa May seeks general election 
Spends far too much time on here

jonbwfc wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:
i believe there is a bigger reason behind it such as having a mandate for a no deal brexit, just a thought ...

Possible. I suspect they will try to make it about 'giving them a mandate', but the bare fact is a general election should not be about any single issue - the government we elect now will be in power for three years after brexit, and will also be able to make changes to our laws and society which are nothing to do with our relationship with Europe.

GE's are important, not just a tool to get you the veil of popularity for your pet issue. And It's not as if there's any real actual opposition to Brexit within parliament anyway. Corbyn is patently in favour of it regardless of what he says (actions speak louder than words) and, assuming labour MPs don't go completely feral, will almost certainly back whatever the government ends up with. That's all that it needs. The SNP and lib-dems (and other stragglers) don't actually have enough numbers to do anything about it at all without labour backing and a few rebel tories.

The GE isn't in any way necessary to give May a 'mandate' - they've been charging along whatever path they please for the last nine months claiming 'the will of the people' anyway, so it's not as if they need anything more.

This is simple political opportunism - May thinks she can increase her parties majority so she's going for it. And for Christ knows what reason Labour have decided to let her do it. I simply cannot fathom what is going on inside Labour right now that makes them think a GE right now is a good idea for them.

i agree in part TM needs a mandate from the voters to be able to command her own party but also to deal with Brexit without the threats from other parties which have been many and plentiful.

but more importantly with a massive majority Govt. it would be able to impose more Tory crap about the so called benefits of further and future privatisation of public services.

i dont agree with the torys never have and never will but i will vote for them on one issue and one issue alone, Brexit.

as stated in a bygone post 'i would vote for the devil him/herself if it meant Brexit' ... my view hasn't changed ...

just as a ps.
Labour have been their own suicide jockey, they have no one else to blame but themselves ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 pm
What's a life?

MrStevenRogers wrote:
i agree in part TM needs a mandate from the voters to be able to command her own party but also to deal with Brexit without the threats from other parties which have been many and plentiful.

And also completely empty. The time to stop Brexit was during the vote to trigger article 50 - and at that point labour sided with the government, so the result was never in doubt. Now? How could they stop it? There's never going to be another vote on Brexit - again, Corbyn had said he'd oppose holding a second referendum, and if there was any attempt to veto whatever deal we end up with he'd just side with the government again. Without at least the support of the labour party, Brexit cannot be stopped. There just isn't a viable mechanism within UK law. And Corbyn has plainly shown he's not going to oppose Brexit. So unless the labour PLP rebels completely and/or he is ousted from office, any threat from the lib dems, greens, SNP or whoever else to stop Brexit is an utterly hollow threat.

MrStevenRogers wrote:
i dont agree with the torys never have and never will but i will vote for them on one issue and one issue alone, Brexit.
as stated in a bygone post 'i would vote for the devil him/herself if it meant Brexit' ... my view hasn't changed ...

Well we've got Brexit and this GE won't change that either way IMO. Plus, as I say, the government we get this time will be in power long after the cut off date of the Article 50 process. So if I was you, I'd take a longer term view.

Quote:
Labour have been their own suicide jockey, they have no one else to blame but themselves ...

In this case I have to agree. I have no idea what they're on.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

As far as what Corbyn is up to I think there are several possibilities:
1 - He thinks he can really win, despite the odds (because that's not happened several times in recent history)
2 - If they lose as badly as predicted it will purge quite a few of his opponents in the PLP and he'll carry on
3 - He actually wants out so losing the election gives him a traditional way of doing so and also achieving the first part of number 2 as f*ck you to the PLP.

I think it was a mistake for Labour to accept Mays GE. They should have told her to sod off and get on with what she promised to do repeatedly.
A government with a slim majority is actually the best sort for this sort of situation (Brexit) because they will have to come to compromises to get things agreed rather than just bulldozing their way through.

I think TM may have badly misread the situation. Yes, the polls give the Tories a massive lead at the moment but traditionally the electorate have been pretty negatively inclined towards political leaders who seem to be doing stuff for their own gain rather than the best interests of the country. Plus, even more voting after the last couple of years doesn't seem to be going down well. It would be hysterical if this seriously backfired on the Tories.
If it doesn't go wrong for them we're all basically screwed whatever happens with brexit - the NHS will implode for a start, employment will get more precarious for everyone and inequality will continue to rise.

I'll also just lob this in for fun:
EU leader: UK would be welcomed back if voters overturn Brexit
I expect that will give the Lib Dems something to campaign with at the very least.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 am

I think she also wants as long as possible post Brexit to sort out all the [LIFTED] that's invariably going to happen afterwards.

Electorates seem to have notoriously short memories for massive [LIFTED], so she's effectively giving herself 3 years post exit before there has to be another general election.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

jonlumb wrote:
I think she also wants as long as possible post Brexit to sort out all the [LIFTED] that's invariably going to happen afterwards.

She’s putting a few years between Brexit and the next GE to giver her and the Tories a bit of space to paper over the cracks. This is nothing about “getting a mandate” - they are claiming that anyway from last year. This is purely about saving the Tory party form itself. Again.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 am

davrosG5 wrote:
As far as what Corbyn is up to I think there are several possibilities:
1 - He thinks he can really win, despite the odds (because that's not happened several times in recent history)
2 - If they lose as badly as predicted it will purge quite a few of his opponents in the PLP and he'll carry on
3 - He actually wants out so losing the election gives him a traditional way of doing so and also achieving the first part of number 2 as f*ck you to the PLP.

I think it was a mistake for Labour to accept Mays GE. They should have told her to sod off and get on with what she promised to do repeatedly.
A government with a slim majority is actually the best sort for this sort of situation (Brexit) because they will have to come to compromises to get things agreed rather than just bulldozing their way through.

I think TM may have badly misread the situation. Yes, the polls give the Tories a massive lead at the moment but traditionally the electorate have been pretty negatively inclined towards political leaders who seem to be doing stuff for their own gain rather than the best interests of the country. Plus, even more voting after the last couple of years doesn't seem to be going down well. It would be hysterical if this seriously backfired on the Tories.
If it doesn't go wrong for them we're all basically screwed whatever happens with brexit - the NHS will implode for a start, employment will get more precarious for everyone and inequality will continue to rise.

I'll also just lob this in for fun:
EU leader: UK would be welcomed back if voters overturn Brexit
I expect that will give the Lib Dems something to campaign with at the very least.

believe it or not i have a lot of time for JC but he isn't in the real world only in the PLP world (which has not supported him whatsoever) as of his out at the results of the GE, yes he is looking for a way out saving face. someone else can step into the breech afterwards whoever that maybe.

clever move by TM ... UKIP voters (4+ million) in Tory areas will vote Tory. in other areas they wont be voting labour.
in held labour areas which voted out (17.4 million total referendum out vote) they will vote UKIP, Tory, other or abstain. Tories win.
SNP will lose seats, to whom labour/libdems/greens no. Tories will gain, it already is the 2nd largest party in Scotland and will increase its seats.
(who would have believed that a few years ago, the Tories are the 2nd main party in Scotland. labour wiped out)

libdems stated that the would frustrate Brexit by all means.
HoL stated they would frustrate Brexit by all means.
Labour are split on supporting or frustrating Brexit.

to get a full Brexit it requires a massive majority Govt. that is about to happen.
the reason behind this is very simple the referendum result will not be abided by the remain camp.
they have used all means to derail the referendum result. well have news for you, now comes along judgement day.

be prepared for a no Brexit deal, let me repeat that, a no Brexit deal as this election will ensure that ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:56 am
Legend

General election 2017: Labour plans four new bank holidays - BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682388

Jesus wept :lol:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:42 pm

pcernie wrote:
"Mr Corbyn believes the move will "celebrate the national cultures of our proud nations".
He does know that St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, right?

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

timark_uk wrote:
pcernie wrote:
"Mr Corbyn believes the move will "celebrate the national cultures of our proud nations".
He does know that St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, right?

Mark

I did wonder about that.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:28 am
What's a life?

Quote:
Normally, England and Wales have eight bank holidays a year, Scotland nine, and Northern Ireland 10. Labour says the average for G20 countries is 12.

But don't forget, that in many countries, those holidays don't move. If they fall on a Saturday or Sunday, then that is the day you have free. The UK tends to move bank holidays from weekends to the next possible Monday.

For example, May Day is celebrated on the 1st May here, every year. In the UK, it is pushed to the first Monday in May.

Christmas Day and Boxing Day (or 1st Day of Christmas and 2nd Day of Christmas here) are celebrated on the 25th and 26th of December and those are the two days you get free. If they happen to be a Saturday and a Sunday, then you work until midday on the Friday (Heiligabend or Christmas Eve is the day where the family gets together in the evening, eats a big dinner and opens the presents) and you go back to work on Monday.

The other thing to remember is, in many countries, different regions have different holidays. Bavaria gets an extra 2 days more than we do in Lower Saxony, for example, but Saxon-Anhalt gets days that Bavaria doesn't. But, because they are all celebrated somewhere in Germany, they are all added together to give a national total, even if nobody will actually be able to get all of them.

It would be like saying England get St. George's Day off, Scotland St. Patrick's Day, Wales St. David's Day and N. Ireland St. Andrew's and they are all counted as UK bank holidays, even though you only get to have one of them off.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:07 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

General election 2017: Tories to pledge energy bill cap - BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39685106

Quote:
Iain Conn, the chief executive of British Gas parent company Centrica, said "the facts do not support that the market is broken," claiming his firm's average bill had only increased by 3% each year since 2007.

Iain Conn, there. A bit of a [LIFTED] by the look of it...

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:00 pm
Legend

General election 2017: UKIP manifesto to pledge a burka ban - BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682939

Quote:
Mr Nuttall also told the programme that he wanted to prevent sharia law becoming "a parallel legal system in this country".

"It cannot be right that we have court or councils in this country where the word of a woman is only worth half that of a man. That has no place in a liberal, democratic, functioning Western democracy," he said.

But he said that Beth Din, Jewish rabbinical courts, would not be affected, because they had been established for centuries and the Orthodox Jewish population was falling.

Totally logical.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:24 pm
Legend

General election 2017: Women's Equality Party leader to challenge MP Philip Davies - BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39683982

I'd vote for them if they ever organise in this sh1tbox.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 pm
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:

Wasn't that a policy the Tory party scoffed at when Ed Milliband suggested it before 2015?

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:11 pm
Legend

jonbwfc wrote:
pcernie wrote:

Wasn't that a policy the Tory party scoffed at when Ed Milliband suggested it before 2015?

But this is totally different! ;)

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next