Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
UK house prices in first quarterly fall since 2012 
Legend

UK house prices in first quarterly fall since 2012 - BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39842715

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon May 08, 2017 6:48 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

As someone who's stuck in private rental all I can say is good, long may it continue.

Tue May 09, 2017 11:19 am
Official forum cat lady

davrosG5 wrote:
As someone who's stuck in private rental all I can say is good, long may it continue.

Yep 0.1% & 0.2% are huge amounts! :roll:

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 am
Legend

As a new homeowner I'm disgusted by this news, have become more right wing, and I've started reading The Daily Mail...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed May 10, 2017 5:09 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I think lack of housing is the biggest problem this country will face over the next ten to twenty years.

Wed May 10, 2017 7:04 pm
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
I think lack of housing is the biggest problem this country will face over the next ten to twenty years.

More like the next 50+

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 am
Officially Mrs saspro

l3v1ck wrote:

Thousands of flats and houses are built every year. But what is built is investment property for wealthy foreign investors, not family homes. It's outrageous that those properties are left empty when people cram into tiny rented properties

Thu May 11, 2017 7:48 am
Profile WWW

TheFrenchun wrote:
l3v1ck wrote:

Thousands of flats and houses are built every year. But what is built is investment property for wealthy foreign investors, not family homes. It's outrageous that those properties are left empty when people cram into tiny rented properties

That's certainly true in London and there are good indications that the same sort of issue is spreading to other big cities (like Manchester for example). How much that's the problem in the rest of the country I think is a little less clear.

The whole housing market is borked quite frankly and it will remain so as long as people's feeling of prosperity is tied up with housing. Successive governments have bemoaned the lack of new house building to meet rising demand but they've done precious little about it because they know that really getting to grips with housing demand will mean a massive correction to house prices and they don't want to be saddled with responsibility for putting hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people in negative equity even if it's the right thing to do in the long run.

Mind you, at the moment I wouldn't necessarily trust the big house builders to deliver a particularly high quality product either. We also need significant reform of building regulations and training so that the houses that are built aren't tissue walled shoe boxes that don't actually meet the needs of the people living in them. The number of new houses that don't actually seem to have much, if any, practical storage for instance or how about building a garage that's actually big enough for a modern car to fit in (assuming it's not being used to substitute as a big cupboard due to the previously mentioned lack of storage space.
In England the whole Leasehold shenanigans needs to be killed with fire quite frankly as well.

Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 am
Official forum cat lady

TheFrenchun wrote:

I've seen stats that foreign investors account for approximately 7% of the new housing market and they tend to concentrate on apartments at the top end of the market. That's hardly 'family homes'.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 am
Officially Mrs saspro

oceanicitl wrote:
TheFrenchun wrote:

I've seen stats that foreign investors account for approximately 7% of the new housing market and they tend to concentrate on apartments at the top end of the market. That's hardly 'family homes'.

If you fancy the read : https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... berry-park
2000 council home estate in tower hamlets being redeveloped, being replaced by 5,500 2-3 beds properties. 55% sold to SE Asian and middle eastern investors. A flat starts at £800,000.
This type of redevelopment is very common in London and other big cities

Fri May 12, 2017 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]