Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Tesco's cheapest carrier bag to cost 10p 
Legend

Tesco's cheapest carrier bag to cost 10p - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40848779

More like, there was less money going through the tills and we know nobody will exchange the bags over buying new ones.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:17 pm
What's a life?

We always take linen bags or wicker baskets with us. You are only allowed a specific number of carrier bags every year and the prices keep going up to disuade people from using carrier bags.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:22 pm
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I was under the impression that Tesco donated the money from the bag charge to local charities - if you buy a plastic bag at the big Tesco near me you get given a token to put in sot to identify which local charities etc get the money - there is usually a choice of three and at the end of the month or whatever the money s divided between the charities based on the number of token each one has received.

big_D wrote:
You are only allowed a specific number of carrier bags every year and the prices keep going up to disuade people from using carrier bags.

How do they manage/enforce that one?

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:39 pm
What's a life?

No idea, I just know that each citizen can have a maximum number of carrier bags per year - it was brought in about 18 months ago. There had been no word on how this is enforced, but most people bring bags with them, when they go shopping - every kind of shopping. whether it is food, clothing, DIY, electronics, whatever.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:56 pm
Profile ICQ
Legend

davrosG5 wrote:
I was under the impression that Tesco donated the money from the bag charge to local charities - if you buy a plastic bag at the big Tesco near me you get given a token to put in sot to identify which local charities etc get the money - there is usually a choice of three and at the end of the month or whatever the money s divided between the charities based on the number of token each one has received.

big_D wrote:
You are only allowed a specific number of carrier bags every year and the prices keep going up to disuade people from using carrier bags.

How do they manage/enforce that one?

Here I've never even seen a sign saying which charities it supposedly goes to. I say that because we all know how good Tesco is at reporting it's figures, even when someone had stolen millions from them!

And the exchange scheme? Here that's a tiny piece of cardboard notifying you when it's too late. And what are the chances of remembering next time?

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:42 pm
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
Here I've never even seen a sign saying which charities it supposedly goes to.

I do remember when the mandatory charge came in supermarkets, at least on the mainland, had to have a method of asking people which of a set of charitys the money was to go to. One near me had five 'voting bins' and you were given a token at the checkout to put in which bin you preferred.

IIRC they are allowed to keep a fraction of a penny per bag to cover costs, but most of the 5p does go to the charity as part of the regulations. But since Scotland has had a different deal on bags I suppose it's possible NI might too.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:23 pm
Spends far too much time on here

no plastic bags should be available in any shopping place. paper bags only ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:52 pm
Legend

Certainly never saw tokens or anything like it, but then Tesco play very dirty over here. Discount notifications that don't ring through, mainland deals on the basics that somehow don't make it here, the ever persistent allegations that their fuel is wrecking engines (I could believe it, taxi drivers of all people won't use them IME)...

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:56 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

pcernie wrote:
Certainly never saw tokens or anything like it, but then Tesco play very dirty over here. Discount notifications that don't ring through, mainland deals on the basics that somehow don't make it here, the ever persistent allegations that their fuel is wrecking engines (I could believe it, taxi drivers of all people won't use them IME)...

Taxi drivers quite frequently won't use ANY supermarkets petrol or diesel at least IME.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:58 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

pcernie wrote:
Here I've never even seen a sign saying which charities it supposedly goes to.

There is a pizza oven in the community park where I live that was paid for by Tesco through their charity scheme.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]