Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Train company sued by passenger over delays 
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
News CLICKY

Quote:
Mr Pochin, an ecologist, who moved to Halesworth a year ago, said he was considering moving to Ipswich to avoid the delays, which he claims added up to almost 28 hours over 12 months.

28 hours over 12 months.
So 52 weeks, minus 6 weeks for holidays and bank holidays, is 46 weeks, times by 5 days is 230 days.
28 hours times 60 is 1680 minutes, divided by 230 days is 7.3 minutes per day. Two trains per day, one in each direction gives an average delay of 3.7 minutes per train.

Hardly the end of the world.
Either that or they've seriously misquoted how much he thinks he's been delayed.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:09 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Quote:
Between February 2017 and February 2018, he made 550 journeys and recorded 183 delays.

According to his figures, the majority of trains were between one and 10 minutes late.

Mr Pochin said 26 journeys were late by more than 15 minutes, with the 100-minute delay on a journey last August.

So 550 journeys and only 26 were more than 10 minutes late. That's under 5%.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

3.7 minutes didn't sound right.

Quote:
Between February 2017 and February 2018, he made 550 journeys and recorded 183 delays.

So only 183 delays. Dividing this into 1680 minutes gives 9m11s delay for each journey.
If you factor in the 100 minute delay, then the remaining 182 delays cost 1580 mins which resulted in 8m41s delay for each journey.

Still, almost 9 minutes isn't a massive issue IMO. It represents about a third of the journeys, which means that for two-thirds of the time, there was no delay.

EDIT: Oh God, 26 journeys were more than 15m late. If you say 25 journeys were 15m delayed and the 26th one was 100m, that means the remaining 157 delays were 7m35s lond

PS: I'm doing this in between seeing patients so calculations may be a little off.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 am
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
So only 183 delays. .

Ah, but a British train is only late (on paper) if it's more then ten minutes late.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Okay, so taken as an average the delays weren't massive but I think that's kind of missing the point the guy was trying to make.
Greater Anglia services in general have a reputation for being rubbish anyway and if you're commuting in Suffolk you get precisely zero choice so it's not like there's any competition on the line to encourage some level of improvement in the service. Hitting them in the pocket when they cock it up is the only way they'll improve and it would appear that the Small Claims Court agreed in this instance and GA flouted the ruling by failing to pay up on time - how likely is it they'd be accepting of similar treatment of a passenger who didn't pay a fine?

We're too accepting of sh!tty service in this country so good on him for sticking to GA.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 am

l3v1ck wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:
So only 183 delays. .

Ah, but a British train is only late (on paper) if it's more then ten minutes late.

Yeah, that's one of the problems isn't it. Watch how quickly things improve if they have to refund passengers for delays of more than 1 minute :twisted:

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am
What's a life?

The entire network would be bankrupt in a week.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Completely agree the guy did the right thing - if you start penalising poor performance, companies will clean up their act.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am
What's a life?

I doubt it. They're tied into the trains they use as part of the franchise. If they inherit old unreliable stock, it could take years to get them into shape. Then there's all the issues outside their control. I was delayed 15 minutes a few weeks ago because a yob was threatening the guard. When I asked him about it he said it happened on almost a daily basis.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Part of the Wikipedia entry for East Midlands Trains....
Quote:
The Sprinter fleet that EMT inherited at the start of the franchise was in a very poor state.[44] Problems ranged from basic and simple to major complicated faults. The fleet was put together from various sources – around four different previous companies, with some coming directly from passenger work but some that had been lying idle surplus to requirements off lease in sidings. East Midlands Trains has claimed that it will take the lifetime of the franchise to get the trains to a standard that it is happy with.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Delays are unavoidable at times - bad weather, broken down trains, people jumping in front of trains etc.

I commute every day with the train to work now and I find 10 minutes is okay, in general. Mostly the trains arrive within 5 minutes of the allotted time at the point of departure, which given the distance they have to travel isn't too bad and they have often pulled back a few minutes by the time we get to the destination.

I've had one train cancelled and another couple were up to 10 minutes late (departure, but only 5 minutes late at the destination). Over here, you get 25% refunded for 60 minutes and 50% for 120 minutes late at the destination.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:15 am
Profile ICQ

l3v1ck wrote:

It's be one way to get them to 'voluntarily' hand back the franchises to state control :)

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm
What's a life?

Getting trains to run on time seems to be an inconvenience when it comes to making money.

Mind you, I can see some legislation being lobbied for by rail companies to stop people randomly suing them like this.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
l3v1ck wrote:

It's be one way to get them to 'voluntarily' hand back the franchises to state control :)

And then the state would be bankrupt the week after.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 am
Profile WWW
Officially Mrs saspro

l3v1ck wrote:
Quote:

According to his figures, the majority of trains were between one and 10 minutes late.

Mr Pochin said 26 journeys were late by more than 15 minutes, with the 100-minute delay on a journey last August.

So 550 journeys and only 26 were more than 10 minutes late. That's under 5%.

Is it 10 minutes on top of the 10 minutes window in which trains are «  not late » ? If I got somewhere consistently 20 min after announced time I’d be annoyed too.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next