Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Bad news for drivers 
What's a life?

Looks like they're gonna start to enforce the speed limit, with automatic speed restrictors.

clicky

I once saw a documentary on C4 a long time ago. It showed a kid who was used to speeding in his chavmobile fitted with one of these. Because he had less control of the car, he was arsing around more in his car, paying much less attention.

Mon May 11, 2009 8:35 pm
Occasionally has a life

IIRC most buses already have limiters limiting their top speed like lorries do though they only limit the top speed

at the end of the day it still wont stop idiots walking out into the middle of the road without looking... and as you said actually make certain people pay attention...

Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 pm
What's a life?

This is simply dangerous.
The pedal on the right is just as useful getting you out of trouble as it can be getting you into it.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Mon May 11, 2009 9:27 pm
Occasionally has a life

ProfessorF wrote:
This is simply dangerous.
The pedal on the right is just as useful getting you out of trouble as it can be getting you into it.

true... and what if it breaks [which it probably will] and you're left limited to 20 on a motorway?

Mon May 11, 2009 9:39 pm
Spends far too much time on here

RedFlames wrote:
IIRC most buses already have limiters limiting their top speed like lorries do though they only limit the top speed

Some of them it's for fuel savings on smaller vehicles too, less revs = less fuel used

Complete joke IMO, though saying they should give a boost to allow you to turn it off for a short period of time lol

I hope they enjoy the speed camera revenue if it becomes law lol

Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 pm
What's a life?

One of the news presenters read out an email which said the people would be distracted by the smily face - they’d be watching that rather than where they were going.

It would also add another layer of complacency to driving. Speed - one less thing to worry about.

I assume it’s linked to the breaks, so the added wear could be costly too.

Nope - won’t be having one of those fitted to my car voluntarily.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

A better system would be a warning noise when you go over the limit, and potentially something that would tell you when you've gone over the limit on the road you are driving on. That way there is little excuse to have not noticed how fast you are going.

Tue May 12, 2009 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

forquare1 wrote:
A better system would be a warning noise when you go over the limit, and potentially something that would tell you when you've gone over the limit on the road you are driving on. That way there is little excuse to have not noticed how fast you are going.

Its like my car nags me if I've been driving for over 2 hours. Telling me I should stop and have a break. Drives me nuts :roll:

Tue May 12, 2009 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

I'm in 2 minds about this.

First off the bat I'm thinking, this is going to fail miserably. There will be more road rage, if you’re late; you can't go that extra 5-10mph extra. The acceleration pedal can be as dangerous pressing it to hard as pressing it too little.

When on your driving test, or lessons, you are taught to drive the speed limit, in every zone, you are to change.

This is because if someone is going to slow, it can interrupt the flow of traffic, thus meaning an accident on the horizon. Going too fast, is just an opposite of this.

My second thought was, okay, this is a good mean for saving fuel, saving excessive harm to your vehicle, and an all round money saver, not to mention the "Helping Global Warming" thing that everyone is going on about at the moment.

Just thinking about it, all I can think of are cable cars. ONE LIMIT FOR ALL!

Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 pm
Site Admin

forquare1 wrote:

My satnav does that in potential speed camera zones. It's very annoying. I just turn the sound down to ignore it.

People just need better training.

You'll cause more accidents limiting speed, what happens if someone stops in front of you and you need to pull a quick overtake to avoid them?

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Tue May 12, 2009 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

forquare1 wrote:

Mercedes have had a manual version of that for donkey's years... My '87 BMW M5 also had something similar. I think it was the forerunner of cruise control. But it was "user defined".

If you were doing a long motorway drive, you could set it for 75 or 80 and it would start buzzing when the car exceeded that limit.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue May 12, 2009 3:33 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

The new Honda Jazz has a system on it that 'bongs' every time you pass 30mph (and I'd imagine 70mph, but we never took it up that speed) and it's the most irritating 'feature' I've come across. Consider how often you creep up to 31mph unintentionally.
As Paul said, it'll just add another layer of complacency to drivers already bad habits.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue May 12, 2009 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]