Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
EU slaps a record fine on Intel 
Site Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8047546.stm
Computer chipmaker Intel has been fined a record 1.06bn euros ($1.45bn; £948m) by the European Commission for anti-competitive practices.

Well at least they aren't just having a go at M$ :roll:

Wed May 13, 2009 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

WOW, I though £60 for speeding was steep!

Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Well that should be able to fund the MEP's expenses for a week or two.
Now those guys really know how to milk the gravy train. They make our MP's look like a bunch of ametuers.

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Wed May 13, 2009 12:09 pm

So, our taxes will now go down because Intel are paying them for us? :lol: :P :wink:

In all seriousness, AMD was doing well before dual cores became standard in desktops (~2006), even if Intel were passing money around to people, it surely wasn't harming AMD that much? Many people who knew anything about computers was going with AMD...
Since CD and indeed C2D, Intel seem to have the upper hand...Hands up who has built a computer with an AMD chip in the last year.

Wed May 13, 2009 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

forquare1 wrote:
So, our taxes will now go down because Intel are paying them for us? :lol: :P :wink:

In all seriousness, AMD was doing well before dual cores became standard in desktops (~2006), even if Intel were passing money around to people, it surely wasn't harming AMD that much? Many people who knew anything about computers was going with AMD...
Since CD and indeed C2D, Intel seem to have the upper hand...Hands up who has built a computer with an AMD chip in the last year.

Me, I got a Phenom. I try to buy AMD where possible on principle.

Wed May 13, 2009 12:43 pm
Occasionally has a life

Wow a market where somewhere is leading, that isnt fair, lets fine the leader!!!!

Total bull.. if they like burnt down AMD's research department then fine, but comeon, all they are doing is better than AMD.. simple..

It seems to be the same as bidding on business, saying if you use us then you pay less. Just it was hidden.

Wed May 13, 2009 5:25 pm
Has a life

Ah, but the difference is intel is saying "if you use us and not AMD we'll give you the discount"

It's not fair competition purely based on merit of chip performance anymore.

Still, Intel has been kicking AMD's ass lately

Wed May 13, 2009 6:18 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

There's a good set of "articles"/stories over at Hexus regarding the issue.

Apparently as Vigil said Intel were either paying discounts to retailers if they stocked/sold Intel to the majority/larger clients and offered rebates to those only willing to buy ~90% of their stock from Intel.

Wed May 13, 2009 6:36 pm

Alexgadgetman wrote:
Wow a market where somewhere is leading, that isnt fair, lets fine the leader!!!!

Total bull.. if they like burnt down AMD's research department then fine, but comeon, all they are doing is better than AMD.. simple..

It seems to be the same as bidding on business, saying if you use us then you pay less. Just it was hidden.

Er no, it's abusing its position to try and put a competitor out of business. This, quite rightly, is illegal. It'd be like Tesco offering bread for sale at 10 pence for an 800gram loaf, Tesco can afford the loss, but it would put a load of competitors out of business.

Wed May 13, 2009 6:45 pm
What's a life?

Alexgadgetman wrote:

Giving a PC maker backhanders that make it uneconomical to accept 1 million free AMD processors is fair practice?

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed May 13, 2009 6:48 pm
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

forquare1 wrote:
Hands up who has built a computer with an AMD chip in the last year.
<waves> I've built two Phenom based machines for friends this year. :D

Wed May 13, 2009 8:46 pm
Occasionally has a life

Linux_User wrote:
Alexgadgetman wrote:

Er no, it's abusing its position to try and put a competitor out of business. This, quite rightly, is illegal. It'd be like Tesco offering bread for sale at 10 pence for an 800gram loaf, Tesco can afford the loss, but it would put a load of competitors out of business.

They were allegedly offering smaller and mid sized firms, plus some larger ones cash bungs to scrap AMD usage !

Wed May 13, 2009 9:48 pm
Occasionally has a life

Quote:
This, quite rightly, is illegal. It'd be like Tesco offering bread for sale at 10 pence for an 800gram loaf, Tesco can afford the loss, but it would put a load of competitors out of business.

Meh, how would that be illegal lol
Special offer bread for 10p... aint it just the same as selling things as BOGOF's.

Surely Intel were just giving loyalty bonuses...

(for anyone picking up that I dont have the faintest about 'anti competitive' laws and stuff, gratz).

Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 am
What's a life?

Linux_User wrote:
Alexgadgetman wrote:

Er no, it's abusing its position to try and put a competitor out of business.

That’s the “Harvard” method of business. It’s how the Americans work, and they just don’t get it that the rest of the world don’t behave in that way.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu May 14, 2009 11:52 am

paulzolo wrote:
Linux_User wrote:
Alexgadgetman wrote:

Er no, it's abusing its position to try and put a competitor out of business.

That’s the “Harvard” method of business. It’s how the Americans work, and they just don’t get it that the rest of the world don’t behave in that way.

Good, maybe the Americans will learn that there is a world beyond the US boundary. If they want to trade in the EU they have to play by our rules, simples.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next