Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Yorkshire boozer establishes 'smoking research centre' 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Quote:
A Yorkshire boozer which last week established a "smoking research centre" has attracted the attention of Barnsley Council, evidently unimpressed with its vital scientific work.

Register Clicky

I had to laugh at this, it's a great idea, but more so because they have a room for people who want to smoke and a room for people who don't.

Thu May 14, 2009 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

It seems a very sensible approach to me.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:19 pm
Profile WWW

Shame it's still illegal.

Thu May 14, 2009 2:19 pm
What's a life?

Another place to avoid... Lucky I'm not in the UK.

The smokers here smoke outside my office window. If the wind is in the wrong direction, I get a coughing fit and have to leave my office until the smoke subsides (it is an old building and the windows aren't airtight).

The new law is great, I can visit pubs and restaurants again, sort of. The biggest problem I have now is smokers gaggling around the main entrace to pubs, restaurants, shops and offices. :(

I had to talk urgently to somebody, yesterday, who was outside smoking. I had to use my asthma inhaler within 30 seconds of leaving the building. I was still coughing and have general problems about 6 hours later!

I still don't know where my sensitivity to smoke comes from, but somebody smoking 50-100M away, up wind, will set me off - and no, it isn't I see a smoker and start coughing, I often start coughing before I can even smell the smoke and end up looking around to see what caused the fit. So the sooner smoking is banned in towns, the better. Going shopping is a complete nightmare at the moment.

I feel sorry for smokers, not being able to smoke in pubs or restaurants, but as it allows me to go out and visit such establishments, I am happy that the law is in place...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Last edited by big_D on Thu May 14, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 14, 2009 3:06 pm
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
I often start smoking before I can even smell the smoke and end up looking around to see what caused the fit.

Blaming others when you're just as bad, tut tut Dave, tut tut :wink: :P

I really like the idea of two separate rooms like that pub had, especially if they were completely separate with no chance that the smoke would drift (smokers walking through the non-smoking room would smell, but they would if they had been smoking outside...)
It would allow you to spend more time with mates (I don't feel the need to smoke every five minutes, so I'll be damned if I'm going outside), and if you were so inclined, join them once or twice without having to make a scene (i.e. walking through the pub)...

Otherwise, I agree that the smoking ban is good, I do like being able to go home and not have to wash all the clothes just because of the smokey smell...

Thu May 14, 2009 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Here in sunny Spain they solved the problem by letting the owner's of bar's a certain size decide if they wanted to be smoking or non smoking , 30m2,
the next size up 60m2 must have a separate no smoking zone , htis is normally then decided as no smoking outside and smoking inside .
this solves the separate areas problem .
the next size up is basically considered non smoking hotels ,confrence center's and such ,these are allowed to build a separate smoking area but it must be self contained ,so in the case of one of the hotels where i do business there is a separate bar glassed off from the rest of the hotel where us smokers can kill ourselves in peace.
Also children are not allowed in any smoking areas anywhere and the fines can be quite harsh . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .

hope this is informative and gives you an idea about an alternative .

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming...
Damn, What a ride!!

Thu May 14, 2009 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]