Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Would you buy a mac? 

If you haed the money would you buy a mac?
Yes 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
PIE! 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

Would you buy a mac? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Make of this what you will.

This Kickstarter fixes everything missing from the new MacBook Pro

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:22 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Surely by the time that is actually available to buy most there will be plenty of people making cables with a USB C connector at one end and a Lightning/Thunderbolt/USB3 connector at the other?

Of course with almost twice as much pledged as they claim to need they must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

There's nothing unusual about that at all. there are already masses of USB-C docks you can buy.

The Best USB-C Adapters, Cables, and Hubs to Connect Old Accessories to Your New Laptop

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:46 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Why all these adaptors which add yet another connection and more unreliability? I can understand it for the hub-like devices, but surely for everything else you need a cable with a USB-C connector at one end and the right connector for whatever you are attaching at the other?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

I voted yes but really needed a maybe option.

I currently have a 2011 i5 iMac and have been thinking recently about what I'm going to do in the next 12 months. I've found the iMac a great tool and love the screen. I have also become reliant on some Apple only software like Macphun editing apps that would make moving back to Windows a bit of a hassle.

On the flip-side I have found I've wanted to game more recently (Elite, Planet Coaster) and know pound for pound I can get better graphics performance with a self built windows PC.

If Apple release a new iMac model in the next 6 months I'm going to have to do some comparisions and work out where I'm going next.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

veato wrote:
I voted yet but really needed a maybe option.

I currently have a 2011 i5 iMac and have been thinking recently about what I'm going to do in the next 12 months. I've found the iMac a great tool and love the screen. I have also become reliant on some Apple only software like Macphun editing apps that would make moving back to Windows a bit of a hassle.

FWIW my 'go to' photo editing app (Affinity Photo) just came out on windows...

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am
Spends far too much time on here

I'm a little out of the loop on the Windows based laptop market these days. Is there anyone making a device with the equivalent of a 15" Retina screen with the chassis quality of a MBP?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

jonlumb wrote:
I'm a little out of the loop on the Windows based laptop market these days. Is there anyone making a device with the equivalent of a 15" Retina screen with the chassis quality of a MBP?

HP Envy line? Something like this perhaps. All metal body with a 15.6" 4k display. I'm pretty sure Dell do something similar as well.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 pm
Site Admin

davrosG5 wrote:
jonlumb wrote:

HP Envy line? Something like this perhaps. All metal body with a 15.6" 4k display. I'm pretty sure Dell do something similar as well.

The last Envy I saw was aluminium coloured plastic, but not full aluminium

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:02 pm
Profile WWW

saspro wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:
jonlumb wrote:

The last Envy I saw was aluminium coloured plastic, but not full aluminium

Well, they very clearly say on the one that it has an all metal body so if it's spray painted plastic they're lying through their website.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:24 pm

jonbwfc wrote:
veato wrote:
I voted yet but really needed a maybe option.

FWIW my 'go to' photo editing app (Affinity Photo) just came out on windows...

I have been looking at Affinity Photo since the beta but never took the leap and purchased it. Macphun do some apps I'd struggle to replace on Windows (Focus CK, Intensify CK) but with Windows I could go down the route of:

Lightroom (Raw and organising)
Affinity (photoshop-style edits)
Nik (single effects and HDR)

It's something to ponder.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer are my go-to apps now - weaned myself off Photoshop and Illustrator, though I’m keeping a legacy machine around incase I need them (I’ll probably make a virtual machine with them and a few other apps onboard for future proofing needs).

Really good pieces of software, and there’s a DTP app coming along too.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:49 pm

paulzolo wrote:
Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer are my go-to apps now - weaned myself off Photoshop and Illustrator, though I’m keeping a legacy machine around incase I need them (I’ll probably make a virtual machine with them and a few other apps onboard for future proofing needs).

I haven't come across these before but they look very interesting indeed. Do they have advantages over the Adobe products other than cost?

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:21 pm
What's a life?

Paul1965 wrote:
paulzolo wrote:

I haven't come across these before but they look very interesting indeed. Do they have advantages over the Adobe products other than cost?

For me, it was the cost thing more than anything else.

They’ve just released Affinity Photo 1.5 which includes 360 degree photo editing. That feature is a little bit limited at the moment (you have to merge layers down to the base image for them to “take” in the rectilinear image), but it’s a pretty nifty feature for removing tripods and adding watermarks. However, you can edit while in a 360 degree projection mode, so any distortions are handled by the software, not you.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:13 pm

Nice Guardian Article

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/12/apple-macbook-pro-review-the-best-computer-you-shouldnt-buy

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next