Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 62  Next
Brexit Britain 
What's a life?

We’re, what, 18 months away from pulling out of the EU, if the timetables that many seem to want are stuck to. However, this notion drifted across my gaze on Facebook the other day: where’s the infrastructure?

By now, the thought went, Dover should be a massive building site. All those extra checks for entrants from the EU, who would have been waved through after a cursory check, would now be subject to more stringent examination. There should be more places for customs checks on incoming vehicles - and facilities to hold and impound goods where duty is expected to be paid. All of this won’t take a few weeks to put up - this would be a massive overhaul of Dover’s docks. And you can apply this thinking to other places where goods and people enter the country from the EU.

We also have to consider the Irish border - purchasing of necessary land for the inevitable customs points should be well under way by now. Plans should be being drawn up for the buildings and other elements that the border will need (all this talk of a soft border is BS - I doubt many hardline Brexitears in the cabinet would stand for that).

Where are the job adverts to fill all the admin and other posts? You don’t recruit and train at the last minute. Recruitment should be kicking off very soon, of not now. As an example, look how long it took us to get the Olympic site up, running, and staffed.

Infrastructure is a big part of Brexit, yet there’s nothing that seems to be happening about it.

Either this is going to end as a very typically British shambles, or there are hopes in government that it will be so problematic that it would be just easier, and simpler, to stop the project, even if it does mean Nigel Farage will resurface for a bit.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm
Spends far too much time on here

paulzolo wrote:
We’re, what, 18 months away from pulling out of the EU, if the timetables that many seem to want are stuck to. However, this notion drifted across my gaze on Facebook the other day: where’s the infrastructure?

By now, the thought went, Dover should be a massive building site. All those extra checks for entrants from the EU, who would have been waved through after a cursory check, would now be subject to more stringent examination. There should be more places for customs checks on incoming vehicles - and facilities to hold and impound goods where duty is expected to be paid. All of this won’t take a few weeks to put up - this would be a massive overhaul of Dover’s docks. And you can apply this thinking to other places where goods and people enter the country from the EU.

We also have to consider the Irish border - purchasing of necessary land for the inevitable customs points should be well under way by now. Plans should be being drawn up for the buildings and other elements that the border will need (all this talk of a soft border is BS - I doubt many hardline Brexitears in the cabinet would stand for that).

Where are the job adverts to fill all the admin and other posts? You don’t recruit and train at the last minute. Recruitment should be kicking off very soon, of not now. As an example, look how long it took us to get the Olympic site up, running, and staffed.

Infrastructure is a big part of Brexit, yet there’s nothing that seems to be happening about it.

Either this is going to end as a very typically British shambles, or there are hopes in government that it will be so problematic that it would be just easier, and simpler, to stop the project, even if it does mean Nigel Farage will resurface for a bit.

i wouldn't worry to much the EU are going to do it for us.

Quote:
ETIAS visa:

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/article ... -travel-EU

the sooner we leave this piece of garbage called the EU the better ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm
Legend

Honestly, the border with the Irish Republic will likely be as Customs-imaginary as it is right now. Neither of us want it or can afford it. Even the DUP don't want it.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 am

pcernie wrote:
Honestly, the border with the Irish Republic will likely be as Customs-imaginary as it is right now. Neither of us want it or can afford it. Even the DUP don't want it.

i have no fears or worries in regard to the borders of RoI and NI that has already been sorted without any help or intervention from the EU

the EU are just trying their level best to muddy any waters for their own purposes

as of bringing trained personal in. we should start looking at FULL training for our own to fill placements. now that will upset management ...

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:04 am
What's a life?

MrStevenRogers wrote:
paulzolo wrote:

i wouldn't worry to much the EU are going to do it for us.

Quote:
ETIAS visa:

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/article ... -travel-EU

the sooner we leave this piece of garbage called the EU the better ...

That’s checking people entering the EU from elsewhere. Which will, inevitably, include the UK. We’re not going to get some special dispensation when we rock up with the blue passports. See last week’s excitable headlines from the Brexit-lovong tabloids.

Not sure how that will do anything for us. If we’re closing the borders, we’ll need to set up our own bureaucracy to allow people to get in - visas, etc.. That will require staff to set up, issue, and check. Those people will need recruiting, training, somewhere to operate from. It will also, no doubt, require some kind of IT system to work on. That needs specifications drawn up, a contractor to create it (bet that will be Capita), time to write/evaluate/test. We have a not very good track record when it comes to IT solutions commissioned by the government. Look at the NHS computer systems, Universal Credit, and others. Think something that complex can be done in 18 months and be ready for deployment? I doubt it very much.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 pm
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:

At some point, this will require some kind of hard border. Otherwise, people will just merrily cross over from one to the other without any checks. And that is just what the Brexit folk do not want. There are real problems with this, and some solutions are headaches in their own right:

1 - Northern Ireland becomes some kind of special case on the UK. IN order to enter mainland Britain (Wales, Scotland, England), anyone crossing from NI would be subject to the same kind of checks that someone arriving from (eg) France would get.

2 - Northern Ireland secedes from the UK and rejoins Eire. I doubt that that will be popular, but that could also be the inevitable outcome of point 1 above. NI then becomes part of the EU (again). That would remove the border issue on that island, but may create other problems.

3 - Northern Ireland becomes a nation in its own right - fully independent - and leaves the UK but has some special connection (ie Channel Islands, Isle of Man, etc). The inevitable outcome would be the demands from Scotland to be allowed a second referendum.

The Irish Question remains a sticking point, and has to be handled carefully. However, if you want to control the people entering and leaving the UK, then what option other than a hard border are there?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:40 pm
Legend

I think we'll carry on with make-believe. We certainly never implemented proper border/crosspoint checks for terrorists, drugs traffickers or fuel smugglers, so I'll be amazed if we do it for Jo Fo.

It certainly wouldn't fly with the DUP in this parliament or the next, whether that's Corbyn, Tories, or some coalition.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:45 pm
What's a life?

We have less than 18 months before the Brexit date, and nothing has been achieved, save for some ambiguous prattling from the Bexit secretary.

It’s going to take four years for the clock and tower at the palace of Westminster to be repaired.

The work on the tower housing Big Ben is a known quantity, and can be planned for. Brexit, though, is a massive project by comparison, and we have given ourselves very little time to get it all sorted out. Norther Ireland is still a real problem.

Meanwhile, plans are afoot to bypass the UK when it comes to energy supplies to Ireland. https://www.euractiv.com/section/electr ... passes-uk/ - this project has been given funding.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 am

paulzolo wrote:
Norther[n] Ireland is still a real problem.
Some things never change! (8+D

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 pm
Profile WWW

a nice little piece about leaving the EU ...

Quote:
Continuity Remainers are so determined to hate Brexit that they've become detached from reality.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... -detached/

some may not be able to view this ...

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Continuity Remainers? What about the continuity leavers?
'Oh! We want to leave the EU, but we still want free movement of goods. We don't want long queues at airports (because we want to control our own borders - except between Northern and southern Ireland).'
Aye, it's the continuity remainers that have taken their leave from reality. *sigh*

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:45 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Quote:
Top EU Lawmaker Floats Sept. 21 Date for May's Big Brexit Speech

A senior European lawmaker appeared to let slip the date of U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May’s big Brexit speech by alluding to “an important intervention” expected Sept. 21 that would push back talks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nd-eu-says

This story is doing the rounds today. I have no idea if this is genuine, or if this is some kind of idle media speculation. It’ll be conference season soon.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 pm
Officially Mrs saspro

Apparently after Brexit , EU nationals will need to show passports at the border. It's always been the case as the UK is not in Schengen zone. The only border where it does not happen is Irish border. Is it a covert way to say that they're bringing back a hard border?

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:23 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

They can't bring back a hard border because there never was one. The border between NI and the RoI has never been anything approaching 'hard'.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 am
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
They can't bring back a hard border because there never was one. The border between NI and the RoI has never been anything approaching 'hard'.

"Hard border" has come to mean checkpoints, towers, and fences with barbed wire all over them. Like they were during The Troubles.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 62  Next