Reply to topic  [ 1759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 118  Next
Tales of Win Thread 
Occasionally has a life

Having never won anything in my life previously, in the last few weeks I have won the following

2 return tickets to London on South West Trains

£20 Game Voucher

Tron 20th Anniversary DVD + 2 Tickets to Tron Legacy in 3D when the film is released.

So as "these things come in 3's", that should be it for the next 44 years.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:20 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Fogmeister wrote:
I love lost! Brilliant tv show! Also, if you're going to watch it the really don't watch season 6 until you've seen the others.

Lol, aye.

That's why I was wondering what the series was like, whether to pick it up or not seeing as I now have 1/6th of it. :D

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:13 pm

leeds_manc wrote:
Amnesia10 wrote:
leeds_manc wrote:
I would say that using gaol is now a tad pretentious.

I don't. Jail is the american term. Gaol is the British term. Though I am not so pedantic as to get upset by it. That is what sub editors are for. ;)

Jail is now also the British spelling, quite clearly.

It quite clearly would have been underlined in red as a mistake when I was at school. My 1980 English dictionary confirms this fact.

It irks me greatly that some people would expect me to re-learn stuff like this. Why? When did the Damned Yankees win the spelling war and where's my copy of the memo?

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:57 pm
Profile WWW

JJW009 wrote:
It irks me greatly that some people would expect me to re-learn stuff like this. Why? When did the Damned Yankees win the spelling war and where's my copy of the memo?

Actually the words jail and gaol were both in use long before we even landed in the Americas. Look back to the time following 1066 when the the French being spoken in England wasn't the same as that in France. The pronunciation of 'gaol' (or gaole) morphed into 'jail' so that it would sound more like the French spoken back in France. But then when relations soured again, so did the need to differentiate language and so the two words went their seperate ways.

If you want to blame someone, blame the French, not the Americans, but then if you do that you then have to blame them for many words in the English language.

If you like blame the Romans, jail (AFAIK) actually has roots in Latin.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 pm

JJW009 wrote:
When did the Damned Yankees win the spelling war?

There isn't a war, just two different languages evolving seperately and mutually influencing each other. Your attitude really does nothing more than get you unnecessarily frustrated, and it reveals your underlying prejudice against North Americans ;) :p The 80s were so 30 years ago too :p

Last edited by leeds_manc on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:01 pm

adidan wrote:
If you want to blame someone, blame the French, not the Americans

I thought accepted English spelling was pretty much established in 1755. Prior to this, spelling was highly inconsistent.

The correct English spelling of gaol remained so until about a week last Tuesday. Jail is indeed listed in this work, as the French spelling.

Are you really suggesting that the British spelling changed so recently because of pressure from the French? They at least value their own language!

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:05 pm
Profile WWW

JJW009 wrote:
Are you really suggesting that the British spelling changed so recently because of pressure from the French? They at least value their own language!

Eh? No. AFAIK the word 'gaol' finds it's routes in the language of the Normans.

By the time the French came over and those in England wanted to sound more like the fancy pants across the water 'jail' was imported. 'Gaol' continued in parallel usage though as it was the term always used in legal documentation.

IIRC 'To put someone in jail' actually appears in English use in the 1600s...

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:19 am
Official forum cat lady

adidan wrote:
JJW009 wrote:

Eh? No. AFAIK the word 'gaol' finds it's routes in the language of the Normans.

By the time the French came over and those in England wanted to sound more like the fancy pants across the water 'jail' was imported. 'Gaol' continued in parallel usage though as it was the term always used in legal documentation.

IIRC 'To put someone in jail' actually appears in English use in the 1600s...

Dan you're like a walking encyclopedia! lol

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 am
Official forum cat lady

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Just installed my BRAND NEW Winbdows 7 Dell PC at work. It's the first time I've ever had a brand new bit of kit as I usually get hand me downs.

Shame it's a PC though ;)

Almost feels like I work here now LOL! :lol: (after 4 years!)

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:35 pm
What's a life?

oceanicitl wrote:
... BRAND NEW... Dell PC ...

This was 'win', then it suddenly veered off into 'fail'.....

Jon

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Dell tend to make nice laptops but their desktops tend to be a bit crappy, however you can rip all the software off and put better stuff on their :)

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Official forum cat lady

jonbwfc wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:
... BRAND NEW... Dell PC ...

This was 'win', then it suddenly veered off into 'fail'.....

Jon

That's why I said shame it's a PC lol

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:17 pm
Official forum cat lady

My first post from Windows 7. We're all like kids with new toys here. I've done the essentials and installed Windows Live messenger and Firefox. Oh yeah and set up work email and installed Remedy.......

:)

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:26 pm

JJW009 wrote:
It irks me greatly that some people would expect me to re-learn stuff like this. Why?

How about because English spelling is currently chaotic, incredibly difficult to learn, horribly inefficient and quite frankly, bl**dy stupid?

It harms and holds back the educations of all but the brightest children and slows the portability of the language. There are few rules and those we have don't actually always apply. The fact is that if one reads or hears an unfamiliar word, it can be nearly impossible to know how to pronounce or spell it.

JJW009 wrote:
When did the Damned Yankees win the spelling war and where's my copy of the memo?

The Americans have got a good thing going though. We really should spell things the way we pronounce them, which we don't at the moment.

And remember, languages that refuse to change are often choosing to die. English is already a totally abused, bastardised and mongrelised language. Indeed it is only as easy as at present because of the laziness and awkwardness of previous generations. We only have two main cases, neither of which is fully productive, because previous generations stopped using the old conjugations and forms that were even harder to learn. It's the ultimate in open-sourcing ;)

IMO the sooner we correct the historical aberrations and mistakes in the maelstrom that is the English language the better. Words like "though", "through", "thorough" and "trough" are mutually confusing and are hangovers from our Anglo-Norman past. We could make things a whole lot more efficient if we spelled them phonetically i.e. "thoh", "thrue", "thuruh" and "troff".

Consider that the example word "ghoti" could quite legitimately be pronounced "fish" - an utterly farcical scenario.

Tbh, I think the septics have got exactly the right idea. Systematic language ftw!

Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:50 pm
What's a life?

rustybucket wrote:
It harms and holds back the educations of all but the brightest children and slows the portability of the language.

With all due respect, cobblers. You don't have to be 'bright' to read/write/speak properly, you just have to give a toss about doing so.

Jon

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 118  Next