Reply to topic  [ 1759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 118  Next
Tales of Win Thread 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I think Rusty that with all due respect the majority of what you said, while feeling intuitively correct, is in fact false, if something is overly inefficient then it evolves and dies out, calling something a 'hangover from the past' is a testement to how useful it is, if it wasn't useful it would have died out. Those words you list are totally understandable, if you know them then you can pronounce them, and your suggested revisions are just as arbitrary in assigning sounds to symbols on a page.

It's clear that words like 'fewer' are in the process of dying out, through redundancy, is it that 'less' is wrong in certain situations, or that the rule that it is wrong is unnecessary? Who's to say, but there is no logic to it, language is an instinct that humans are born with, it is like a spider creating a web, you wouldn't say that the spider is wrong in developing a different method of spinning a web, even though earlier versions of the web in previous generations must have been simpler. It simply evolves to be as efficient as possible, there's no logic behind it, and it defies intuition.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:34 pm

leeds_manc wrote:
It's clear that words like 'fewer' are in the process of dying out, through redundancy, is it that 'less' is wrong in certain situations, or that the rule that it is wrong is unnecessary?

That's one which can annoy me. Let me give you an example from a recent GCSE Maths paper. I can't remember it exactly, but it was something like:

Quote:
9, 1, 1

Which is the least of the above numbers?

Correct answer: 9

To my mind, the question should have been "which is the fewest number". I know the grammar is really messed up, but you can see the distinction and why less is not fewer.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:53 pm
Profile WWW

jonbwfc wrote:
rustybucket wrote:
It harms and holds back the educations of all but the brightest children and slows the portability of the language.

With all due respect, cobblers. You don't have to be 'bright' to read/write/speak properly, you just have to give a toss about doing so.

With all due respect, Daily Mail-esque fail.

I never said that proper use of language is restricted to the bright. My point was that non-systematic, exception-ridden languages like English take much longer and much more effort to learn than those that are systematic. Thus it takes effort, time, energy and resources away from learning other things. The use of English creates barriers to learning that simply magnify differences in intelligence. This is even more of an issue if you have a learning difficulty that makes it even harder to handle the oddities of the language.

leeds_manc wrote:
Those words you list are totally understandable, if you know them then you can pronounce them, and your suggested revisions are just as arbitrary in assigning sounds to symbols on a page.

... there's no logic behind it, and it defies intuition.

Therein lies the issue; they're easy and totally understandable if you know them. The issue is the lack of predictability in the pronunciation of the "ough" letter sequence.

If you're learning the language anew, you simply cannot learn how to pronounce "ough" - you have to learn each esoteric pronunciation individually. If you come across a new word, you have ten or more possible sounds to choose from. This is terribly difficult and obfuscatory.

I agree that my spellings are arbitrary but then all communication schemes are to some extent. However, there's a load of difference between the systematic but arbitrary transcription of a certain phoneme and rampant unpredictability.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:25 pm

JJW009 wrote:
Quote:
9, 1, 1

To my mind, the question should have been "which is the fewest number". I know the grammar is really messed up, but you can see the distinction and why less is not fewer.

No, it's not fewest. I almost want to say "lesserest" because least sounds wrong strangely, even though it's grammatically correct. I think to get around it I'd say "smallest number".

Last edited by leeds_manc on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:37 pm

leeds_manc wrote:
JJW009 wrote:
Quote:
9, 1, 1

No, it's not fewest. I almost want to say lessest because least sounds wrong strangely, even though it's grammatically correct. I think to get around it I'd say "smallest number".

Least common?

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Oh right, yeah of course. Least common is what it should be. I was misunderstanding the question...

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 pm

leeds_manc wrote:
Oh right, yeah of course. Least common is what it should be. I was misunderstanding the question...

... which proves JJ's point surely?

:lol:

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:43 pm
What's a life?

Spelling fail from the town events manager - the use of the word 'courses' instead of 'causes'.
Also, entire letter set out in italics. In something like Zapf Chancery. *shivers*

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:44 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
Spelling fail from the town events manager - the use of the word 'courses' instead of 'causes'.
Also, entire letter set out in italics. In something like Zapf Chancery. *shivers*

Is this in the wrong thread per chance?

Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:19 pm
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
ProfessorF wrote:

Is this in the wrong thread per chance?

Yes. Apparently it is. :oops: :lol:

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:08 pm
What's a life?

rustybucket wrote:
I never said that proper use of language is restricted to the bright. My point was that non-systematic, exception-ridden languages like English take much longer and much more effort to learn than those that are systematic.

I'd say it is overweighed by the massive factor of whether it's the first language you learn or not. All languages have exceptions and weird conventions you have to learn, except possibly Esperanto. In Italian, for example, you have to learn whether things are male or female even when they're neither. It's just massively easier to do so if it's you're 'native language'. If you think English is bad, try learning Japanese, it'll turn your brains to cheese. Yet Japanese people all manage it somehow.

Pretty much everybody in England is capable of speaking/reading/writing English well, or at least is not inherently prevented from doing so. There are obviously a small number of people who have genuine physiological or psychological issues with doing so but they are a tiny minority. The fact most people don't is because they largely don't see the value in it. People do things well when they see a reason to do so.

And this has sod all to do with the Daily Mail thank you very much, and I rather resent the insinuation.

Jon

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:15 pm

jonbwfc wrote:
I'd say it is overweighed by the massive factor of whether it's the first language you learn or not.

I'm not sure that's relevant.

My contention is that, all other things being equal, English is much harder to learn than more systematic languages.

For instance, is it easier for a child to learn English or Swedish as a first language?

jonbwfc wrote:
All languages have exceptions and weird conventions you have to learn, except possibly Esperanto. In Italian, for example, you have to learn whether things are male or female even when they're neither. It's just massively easier to do so if it's you're 'native language'. If you think English is bad, try learning Japanese, it'll turn your brains to cheese. Yet Japanese people all manage it somehow.

Again I think you're missing my point (or more likely I'm not communicating it properly - irony indeed)

Yes it seems easier to learn a language when it's your mother tongue. My question is whether parsing text to speech (and v.v.) in English carries an inherent penalty due to its strange and archaic spelling (non-)system. If it were true (and I'm pretty certain it is) then communication and learning as whole would surely have to be demonstrably adversely affected.

Your allusion to Japanese is quite pertinent here I think. A few years ago I made a stab at learning Japanese - I've forgotten it all since I'm sorry to say :oops: . However one thing became very clear to me very quickly. Once I learnt the Hiragana symbols and their attendant sounds, it didn't take me very long at all to be able to read Hiragana text out loud or to be able to transcribe speech into passable text.

I freely admit that the Japanese then proceed to mess it up with the Katakana (letters for foreign words) and the Kanji (10,000 strange pictograms borrowed from Chinese for those that don't know). However my point is that if they'd stuck to just one alphabet, Japanese could be lightning-quick to learn. Sure it takes a little while to get your head around subject-object-verb grammar but again, that not material to my argument. If you can't spell or pronounce a word, it doesn't really matter where it's supposed to go in a sentence.

jonbwfc wrote:
Pretty much everybody in England is capable of speaking/reading/writing English well, or at least is not inherently prevented from doing so. There are obviously a small number of people who have genuine physiological or psychological issues with doing so but they are a tiny minority. The fact most people don't is because they largely don't see the value in it. People do things well when they see a reason to do so.

Again this isn't quite the point I was making.

What I was trying to say was that while most people are capable of speaking/reading/writing well per se, having to do it with an esoteric and chaotic spelling system makes success a whole lot less likely.

jonbwfc wrote:
And this has sod all to do with the Daily Mail thank you very much, and I rather resent the insinuation.

I didn't mean to suggest that you have any to do with the DM. :oops:

Rather I was trying to respond to what I saw as your reaction to something that wasn't in what I wrote. In my defence however, I was being nagged by wife and mother whilst typing it on a Windows laptop and trying to find news that wasn't about the budget or miners. Oh and I did stop myself going way over the top and comparing you to Marklarr - that would have been unforgivable ;) .

Apologies for any offence - none was meant.

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Would it be helpful to have a new thread for this debate about language? It would seem we are veering a little off topic.

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:43 am

davrosG5 wrote:
Would it be helpful to have a new thread for this debate about language? It would seem we are veering a little off topic.

It's the nature of the beast, I suppose.

ProfessorF once wrote:
And let's face it, this thread has wandered so off its intended path it's probably found a nice little taverna somewhere, where the tourists never go and is enjoying cocktails with an ever-so-witty barman who's posing for photographs to show Aunt Vera and Uncle Charlie back home. 'Our little hideaway,' they'll say as they pass the 6x4 snaps around on a Sunday morning over coffee. 'He didn't speak much English, but my, what a laugh we had, eh Charlie?'

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:52 am
Official forum cat lady

Moving swiftly on... I got brought tea and toast in bed this morning! :D

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 1759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 118  Next