Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Ridley Scott: 'I'm doing pretty good, if you think about it' 
Legend

timark_uk wrote:
pcernie wrote:
if he goes for any half-measures either way
Alien is the film that gave Ridley his big break in to Hollywood. I seriously doubt he's going to take half measures with it.
Take Blade Runner (yes yes yes, I know) as an example. As I've said, it crashed and burned at the cinema upon initial release, but he poured his time and money in to the remastering and restoration of that film (even going as far as to hire Harrison Ford's son to stand in for his dad in a key reshoot).
I don't think Ridley Scott knows how to do anything of his films in half-measures.

Mark

I'm specifically talking about the Alien he thinks (and I agree) is overused though - it already seems Fox don't understand just what it'll take to give this series legs again, never mind beardy with his artistic righteousness ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if it only got to this stage cos of the 3D aspect...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:18 pm

pcernie wrote:
I'm specifically talking about the Alien he thinks (and I agree) is overused though
It's not going to be the same Alien that we were introduced to in the first film.
If you think about it, over the course of the first four films, the creature transformed and metamorphosed throughout. It's safe to say that the alien we saw in the first film was also the process of a transformation.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

timark_uk wrote:
pcernie wrote:
I'm specifically talking about the Alien he thinks (and I agree) is overused though
It's not going to be the same Alien that we were introduced to in the first film.
If you think about it, over the course of the first four films, the creature transformed and metamorphosed throughout. It's safe to say that the alien we saw in the first film was also the process of a transformation.

Mark

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but it's always been humanoid IIRC (even the Dog Alien to an extent), and I'm wondering how much the Fox bean counters will push for that - I honestly believe they'll need to make it genuinely scary again and/or give it quite an overhaul.

By the way, always loved the fact it took on characteristics of the host :geek:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:40 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

pcernie wrote:
By the way, always loved the fact it took on characteristics of the host :geek:

Yes, a great concept that the Alien of the first movie had elements from the Space Jockey and from Kane. I do hope that they can get Giger back in the fold though, I think there'd be a chance that he would come up with something suitable.

Just as a matter of interest for anybody who's not seen these, here's the artwork which Dan O' Bannon and Scott decided to use as the basis for the Alien.

And the top figure here was used as an initial design for the Space Jockey

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:25 pm

If you can get your hands on the full, oversize version of Giger's Necronomicon I'd certainly recommend it.
It's a brilliant book chronicling the work of the artist.

Mark

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:36 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
If you can get your hands on the full, oversize version of Giger's Necronomicon I'd certainly recommend it.
It's a brilliant book chronicling the work of the artist.

Mark

Mine is hidden safely away along with Giger's Alien. Both are well worth tracking down.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:41 pm
Legend

I love the imagery, but I've often wondered if Giger ever did get round to seeing a psychologist :lol:

IIRC, he offered O' Bannon opium on their first encounter. O' Bannon asks him why he smokes it and Giger says, 'For my nightmares', before displaying what became the Alien in his sketchbook :shock:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:43 pm
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
timark_uk wrote:
pcernie wrote:

Mark

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but it's always been humanoid IIRC (even the Dog Alien to an extent

The argument about the Alien in the first film is that it had not fully developed and we saw fully mature ones in Aliens. This is obviously some rather nice post-sequel speculation on the part of James Cameron, as I doubt that Scott or Giger had a sequel in mind.

The Dog Alien was actually an ox alien - the original screenplay (which was used for the novelisation) had one of the oxen used to pull the escape pod out of the sea infected. Only later, to pace up Alien 3, the dog was replaced. The Special Edition in the Quadrilogy set uses the ox as the host - and much better for it it is too.

I like the idea of the Alien using DNA from the host - or at least having the host influence the creature to a certain extent. However, we also have to bear in mind that the Alien appears to be a hive based creature, and, much like ants and termites, there are different classes of the creature, and the “Dog Alien” could just have been a certain form used in the protection of the Queen embryo - which is what its function appeared to be in the film. Social insects, such as ants, beets, wasps etc can develop differently depending on their feeding or treatment by other members of the colony. There is enough natural precedent to be able to argue that the host has no influence over the development of the final hatched creature, BUT that other environmental factors would.

I am really interested to see what Scott comes up with for the prequels - should they get off the ground, and should Fox not want to get too involved. However, as we know, the have serious form with the franchise.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:54 pm

His nightmares are chiefly centred around a train journey (or at least they were around the mid '90s), that was very badly realised in the film Species. It's informed his work for a very long time indeed.

Mark

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:56 pm
Profile WWW

Good old Dan O' Bannon. Not only the writer of Alien, but also Dark Star, Dead and Buried, Lifeforce :) , Return Of The Living Dead ("Send more paramedics!") and Total Recall, amongst others.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:58 pm
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
His nightmares are chiefly centred around a train journey (or at least they were around the mid '90s), that was very badly realised in the film Species. It's informed his work for a very long time indeed.

Mark

http://www.hrgiger.com/ghost.htm

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:02 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Well Ridley, well.

A Mac User.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:09 pm
Legend

paulzolo wrote:
There is enough natural precedent to be able to argue that the host has no influence over the development of the final hatched creature, BUT that other environmental factors would.

The AvP films should just be forgotten altogether in that debate:

:shock: :(

And this is what happened when a Facehugger met a croc (would that actually work? Must've had strong legs or the croc was asleep lol):

Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:53 am
Legend

Love these:

http://www.ugo.com/therush/gallery/alien-hybrids/668/8/

(scroll down for others)

Another great Alien/Predator pic collection from all forms of media:

http://aliensandpredators.tumblr.com/archive

8-)

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:49 am
Legend

Alien prequel gets studio approval

Quote:
Lost screenwriter Damon Lindelof has just delivered his script for the Alien prequel to the chaps at 20th Century Fox, and word is that they really love it.

Not because it kicks all kinds of xenomorph booty, but because it’s probably going to cost less to make than Ridley Scott’s original proposed budget of $150m. C’mon, they are studio execs after all.

Still, even if the good news is more monetary than creative, Natalie Portman has officially met with Scott and his team, and is the current favourite for the lead role of a “female Colonial marine General”.

More positive news keeps on coming in the report that Lindelof’s script should be a sparse, creepy number that while not involving too many giant action set pieces, imitates the feeling of the original Alien with off-screen violence and few F-bombs.

Vulture spoke with an insider who had this to say about the possiblities of a PG-13 prequel, and why it's not necessarily a bad idea of Alien vs. Predator proportions:

“The thinking is that if the original Alien were released today, minus the F-bombs, you could still get a PG-13. Alien is a very Jaws-ian movie: There’s no sex, and while there’s lots of violence, most of it is off-camera. Maybe you’d have to cut away from certain scenes two seconds earlier, but it could be done.”

So that’s where the Alien prequels currently stand. Now let’s get some official casting underway, hey?

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/alien-pre ... o-approval

Not one bit of that inspires confidence in me personally :(

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next