Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jer Bulsara RIP 
Legend

I thought it was an interesting little point of note as someone with an interest in popular culture in general. I wasn't looking for any significance in it to start with. And I don't think Paul was implying any.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

oceanicitl wrote:
This is incredibly sad news and would get a reaction from me especially as my best friend's daughter also died of cancer at 13

Jessica Whelan cancer death: Four-year-old who touched hearts dies

Yes, this was terribly sad. My daughter is five and to have someone of a similar age die having had no chance to grow up is grim. I can't even look at that photo of her suffering.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:59 am

jonbwfc wrote:
So we're supposed to stop and pay respects for every blood relative of every famous person whose work we enjoy? Seriously? But if they're not related to a famous person then hey, that's just life I suppose...

On a slightly different note, I noticed last week that there are going to be two memorials to remember the seven people who died in the Croydon tram crash. One at the site and one in New Addington where 5 of the dead came from. Now it was a tragic thing - not least because there is filmed evidence of the driver asleep at the controls - but does this seem a little OTT to anyone else? Are we going to have memorials for every fatal accident on the road/rail from now on? Or can memorials only be put up if,say, three or more die?

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:05 am
Official forum cat lady

I've just called Casey a toad. That told him. I feel better now :)

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:16 pm

John_Vella wrote:
but did you actually have to take the time to click reply and type a reply?

:lol: yes lets just leave the forum blank and having only posts that only you agree with :roll: :P lets stop people from having their own say on things be it positive or negative etc etc :roll: :lol:

John_Vella wrote:
but shouldn't we just stop for a moment and say thanks and R.I.P?

er nope :x :evil:

oceanicitl wrote:
I've just called Casey a toad. That told him. I feel better now :)

I officialy declare the renaming of this strange man "headcasey" :mrgreen:

Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:13 pm

There have been quite a few times when I, (and I'll guess I'm not the only one) have wanted to call some out for... a post which is just not right, but I've always stopped and thought, and decided that getting into an argument because someone doesn't share my opinion isn;t worth the hassle.

If you can't say anything nice don't say anything... isn't that how the saying goes?

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:01 pm
Profile WWW

John_Vella wrote:
If you can't say anything nice don't say anything... isn't that how the saying goes?
Pretty much my thoughts as well.
It seems we are in the minority here, which is fine. Each to their own, but it won't stop me in the future of calling out rude behaviour if I see it and feel strongly enough motivated to get involved.
I'm just as much entitled to my opinion as others are to theirs.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile WWW

Absaloutly noone on here should be made to feel like they cant post or say certain things just because some things in some peoples skewed perception of whats right or wrong, ie something "wrong" in their mind is perfectly acceptable with others etc, so the so called "bad post" isint bad whatsoever :shock:

especially also when the post was misinterpreted :oops:

sayings should be banned from society, I find them irrelevant and should not be adhered to just because a long time ago someone said it and it spread over many years etc :(

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Nobody's saying otherwise, but when people find those comments rude or distasteful it's also perfectly fine to call them out for that.
So equally, "Absaloutly noone on here should be made to feel like they cant post or say certain things just because some things in some peoples skewed perception of whats right or wrong" also applies to people responding to comments left on a story.
Your argument works for both sides.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:
There have been quite a few times when I, (and I'll guess I'm not the only one) have wanted to call some out for... a post which is just not right, but I've always stopped and thought, and decided that getting into an argument because someone doesn't share my opinion isn;t worth the hassle.

Well, there's a difference between 'accepting someone has a different opinion' and 'allowing someone to say something which is factually incorrect and/or offensive because it's somehow 'wrong' to question people's opinion'. The internet has recently had not very much of the former and an awful lot of the latter.

I've always been taught that if you hold an opinion and state it in pubic, you have to be able to defend that opinion against reasonable counter argument. If you can't do that, then that opinion isn't actually worth much in the first place. 'Reasonable argument'' is not 'abuse', so you have a right to be addressed civily, but it also doesn't mean you get to say whatever you like and anyone disagreeing or questioning you is somehow abusing you.

Quote:

Y'see the problem with that is it lets the loudmouthed idiots shout whatever they like. Recent experience suggests attempting to be 'even handed' with people who have no intention of reciprocating doesn't get you very far.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:40 pm
What's a life?

I'm with John and Mark, sorry Caz.

I've seen some deaths posted on here, where I've thought, "meh, I never liked them," or "meh, I've never even heard of them." But I kept it to myself, because I didn't feel it contributed to the conversation and out of respect for those that genuinely found the death affected them personally, I didn't want to belittle it for them. So what if the post had faded away with 0 replies? PCErnie has posted enough of those sorts of threads over the years! ;)

For me, the post was there to say that this woman had died, I found Caz's comment insensitive and unnecessary. My initial reaction was similar (she was old and had a good innings, although I spared myslef the "meh"), but I kept it to myself, because I didn't want to ruin it for those that genuinely found the story truly moving.

If she had been an evil despot, then I might have chipped in with a qualified "good riddance," but she was a just little old lady who supported her son. I am sorry that she died. Yes, she reached a ripe old age and therefore it isn't such a tragedy, but it is still the passing of a human being.

That is why I didn't post anything. I didn't have anything positive or derogatory to say and we are talking about a death here, not some trumped up medical study that we can pull to bits, so out of respect for others, I kept quiet.

I must say, I find neither side shines, having ruined a thread remembering a old woman, who never did them any harm, with their rantings and the escalation that it has found.

Keep calm
and think
before you post.

:(

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:38 am
Profile ICQ
Official forum cat lady

And in all this bickering not one of you has said RIP to the poor woman yet I'm the bad guy :roll:

big_D wrote:
I'm with John and Mark, sorry Caz.

I've seen some deaths posted on here, where I've thought, "meh, I never liked them," or "meh, I've never even heard of them." But I kept it to myself, because I didn't feel it contributed to the conversation and out of respect for those that genuinely found the death affected them personally, I didn't want to belittle it for them. So what if the post had faded away with 0 replies? PCErnie has posted enough of those sorts of threads over the years! ;)

I had said she was 94... meaning she'd had a long life and it's not as if her life was tragically cut short. It was not meant, in any way, as disrespectful towards her.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:43 am

I actually did say R.I.P, Caz, in my first post in this thread.

Anyway, this is getting us nowhere, and I am ducking out of this thread. Bye. :|

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

John_Vella wrote:
I actually did say R.I.P, Caz, in my first post in this thread.

Anyway, this is getting us nowhere, and I am ducking out of this thread. Bye. :|

You actually said 'we should say RIP' not RIP

Give me strength

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:02 pm
Legend

big_D wrote:
So what if the post had faded away with 0 replies? PCErnie has posted enough of those sorts of threads over the years! ;)

As this very thread shows, you never know where one will go in terms of discussion! I've also started some of the most popular threads here :P

Everybody has their own reasons for posting whatever those may be...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next