Reply to topic  [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504  Next
What's on your mind right now? 
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
Crisps of every description tasted OK but the texture was totally wrong or vice versa. Came off the Coke because it just had a chemical taste to it. Chocolate bars are so small now you need two of them to get the same 'hit'. And so on. So fcuk that noise.

Annoyingly, pretty much all mainstream chocolate bars taste like rubbish to me. I'm still partial to a Turkish Delight but the chocolate isn't the main event here. I drink Coke Zero but mainly for the caffeine (I hate tea and coffee). I agree about chocolate bars being smaller - I remember something about chocolate bars needing to be under 250 calories (hence you get a smaller bar), and probably "shrinkflation" - cost has gone up but instead of putting up the price, the manufacturers reduce the size of the product. Quality has also gone down.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:24 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

How difficult can it be to describe a mountain range? Quite difficult, apparently. Oh well, I'll go back to that later.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Legend

John_Vella wrote:
How difficult can it be to describe a mountain range? Quite difficult, apparently. Oh well, I'll go back to that later.

Purple-headed? :D

Relative to their surroundings? 'The mountains were no less imposing for being quite some distance away, with their ragged peaks and both time and weather-worn exterior showing...'

Or just cloud the buggers :lol:

So long as you don't do as some authors... 'I spent quite some time researching X, so by gumbo you're gonna read about it'. Cue the intricacies of an airplane seat for half a page!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:42 pm

pcernie wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

Relative to their surroundings? 'The mountains were no less imposing for being quite some distance away, with their ragged peaks and both time and weather-worn exterior showing...'

So long as you don't do as some authors... 'I spent quite some time researching X, so by gumbo you're gonna read about it'. Cue the intricacies of an airplane seat for half a page!

This is what I've got at the moment... remember that this is the first draft!

In case you didn't read the first novel, Vameradiant is the name of the spacecraft that they are in and Jax is one of the characters.

It didn’t take long for the Vameradiant to reach her destination, and Jax slowed the ship down until it was barely moving. A collective gasp was uttered as the crew caught sight of the view. An example of nature at its most beautiful, the cold, desolate mountains jutting out of the lush green grass. *Better description required*

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Legend

John_Vella wrote:
pcernie wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

In case you didn't read the first novel, Vameradiant is the name of the spacecraft that they are in and Jax is one of the characters.

It didn’t take long for the Vameradiant to reach her destination, and Jax slowed the ship down until it was barely moving. A collective gasp was uttered as the crew caught sight of the view. An example of nature at its most beautiful, the cold, desolate mountains jutting out of the lush green grass. *Better description required*

Nice, works for me. Good starting point.

'Nobody ever went up there because reasons.'

Depending on colour you could work around descriptions of slate or coal, for example?

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 pm

John_Vella wrote:
pcernie wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

Nice, works for me. Good starting point.

'Nobody ever went up there because reasons.'

Depending on colour you could work around descriptions of slate or coal, for example?

Nobody ever went there because it was a hidden base which nobody knew about. I like the idea of working the colours into the description, but since it's on another planet I may make the colours a little more unexpected than shades of grey.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

I don't believe in a god, so may the people who made awesome music, TV and movies in the 1980s bless Martin Lewis. That man has helped me out my entire adult life.

Deals and deal sites and the best credit cards to purchase with. The ISAs and accounts that enabled me to save for my house. The advice I needed for buying the house. The insurance for it. Rates advice. Sorting a will. There's likely stuff I'm forgetting, but just today he told us about Santander's antics and so I'm about to get £100 off someone else for switching.

Legend.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:33 pm

How sh!t DHL are.

My son has been waiting in all day for a delivery. At 5pm he gets a text to say delivery completed and signed for, by him.

They delivered it to a house up the street, and the occupant signed their own name but didn't realise until after the courier left, but DHL says he signed for it. Morons.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 pm
Legend

Spreadie wrote:
How sh!t DHL are.

My son has been waiting in all day for a delivery. At 5pm he gets a text to say delivery completed and signed for, by him.

They delivered it to a house up the street, and the occupant signed their own name but didn't realise until after the courier left, but DHL says he signed for it. Morons.

Recently they handed my parcels to Yodel without telling me, who then promptly lost them. I'm still fighting that one...

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 pm
Legend

How Ulster politicians are currently astounded to find that the Tories are still a bunch of conniving cnuts. I mean, it's not like there's prior history or anything.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:52 pm
What's a life?

There's a thread on Reddit about the most horrifying thing you've encountered on the internet. After reading the replies, I am very sickened. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I know how horrifying mankind can be.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:30 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
There's a thread on Reddit about the most horrifying thing you've encountered on the internet. After reading the replies, I am very sickened. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I know how horrifying mankind can be.

Because you're somewhat removed with being in front of a screen, I think people might view stuff they otherwise wouldn't dare. Almost like watching a horror film. Indeed, that's often what it could be. Encourages the sort of evil that sees folks pushed to harm and suicide by others too.

The internet is basically the wild west, IMO. It enables every spectrum of intent, good or bad.

Even in the almost analogue days (and all they wanted was to sell papers), The Scum certainly shone a light on paedophilia and broke that taboo of 'just too dark to talk about'. Similar investigations across the world basically destroyed the Catholic church (and good riddance). But the net is ground zero for all involved. The aftermath will be beyond our lifetimes.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:06 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Finally!
After years of being stuck on an Exchange Only ASDL connection, while most of my area has been on FTTC, Openreach have announced FTTP is coming to my area soon. Finally I can get really good internet for media streaming on multiple devices at once.

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Legend

I'm so used to DIY jobs turning into epic sh1tshows* that there's a false sense of accomplishment when something actually goes right! 'Dremeled' the oil tank and it's cap holes** to enable a bigger version of a bike lock to go through.

* Screws threading just using a cheap screwdriver is why I never use the drill to tighten things now.

** Had to get a new tank and couldn't believe it when I got home to find a plastic push pin was all that held the cap and my oil. I'd never seen that before.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:59 pm
What's a life?

I've done DIY jobs in the house. It's my first home and really the first time I started doing DIY. I can empathise with the relief that something's worked out after going wrong instead of the sense of accomplishment that something has been done well.

Youtube has been very useful in watching how to do something, which is easier than reading a post. Even then, forums like ultimate handyman, screwfix community, and diynot have been helpful in asking for advice.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 498, 499, 500, 501, 502, 503, 504  Next