Reply to topic  [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491 ... 504  Next
What's on your mind right now? 
What's a life?

Similar boat here. I’m actually getting to a point where I’m considering looking for part time work to snake around my self-employed activities. Things have been very slow this year - despite being asked to quote for new work, most have fallen through with costs becoming the refrain. I think there’s a real feeling of uncertainty at the moment, and maybe people don’t want to take the risk of hiring a lone actor for their projects? Clients who are onboard, and usually feed me regular work are also slowing down, and the big project that I should be winding up now has barely passed Phase 1 because the client is so damn slow to get back with comments, feedback. Two more phases on that one to get through. :-/

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

paulzolo wrote:
Similar boat here. I’m actually getting to a point where I’m considering looking for part time work to snake around my self-employed activities.

Me too.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 pm
What's a life?

Zaphod, my kitten. He’s growing up and looking more like a small cat now. He’s been having time out in the garden no - we’ve basically let him have access all day. In the evening, we have the cat flap on “in only” so the other cats can get in if they want to. We have to revise that now as Zaphod has worked out that he can PULL the flap open and get out. His predecessor could get out with the cat flap on that setting too - she knew where and how hard to hit it to open it (I saw her do this a few times). Zaphod has taken this to a new level though. So when we want to stop him getting out (evenings, when it gets dark), we’re going to have to lock the cat flap completely, and listen out for other cats trying to get in and open the door for them.

Zaphod is just over 5 months old. We’ve got a clever cat in the making here.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 am

paulzolo wrote:
Zaphod, my kitten. He’s growing up and looking more like a small cat now. He’s been having time out in the garden no - we’ve basically let him have access all day. In the evening, we have the cat flap on “in only” so the other cats can get in if they want to. We have to revise that now as Zaphod has worked out that he can PULL the flap open and get out. His predecessor could get out with the cat flap on that setting too - she knew where and how hard to hit it to open it (I saw her do this a few times). Zaphod has taken this to a new level though. So when we want to stop him getting out (evenings, when it gets dark), we’re going to have to lock the cat flap completely, and listen out for other cats trying to get in and open the door for them.

Zaphod is just over 5 months old. We’ve got a clever cat in the making here.

Just make sure he doesn't have thumbs.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:06 am
What's a life?

Hmm. GP Surgery down to 1 doctor and four locums. Looks like the GP who was my named GP has cleared off. Last time I got a letter telling me who my named GP was, this time nothing.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am
Spends far too much time on here

Sinus pain/blocking. Pressure headaches. Pretty fed up of being ill now, it doesn't seem to happen often, but when it does it's excruciating, feels like my head is in a vice. Let the fun begin in 10 minutes when the lines open for the doctors and I try and get myself in this week.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:54 am
Profile WWW

Right - 10 minutes on hold and I can only see a doctor today if it's "medically urgent" - surely if someone has something "medically urgent" they need a hospital?

I asked to book one in advance but I was told that's not possible and to try again with the 8am crowds, wish me luck for tomorrow.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:28 am
Profile WWW

Blue_Nowhere wrote:
Right - 10 minutes on hold and I can only see a doctor today if it's "medically urgent" - surely if someone has something "medically urgent" they need a hospital?

I asked to book one in advance but I was told that's not possible and to try again with the 8am crowds, wish me luck for tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow... I went in to pick up a prescription last week, and managed to get an appointment for this Friday, at 07:10.

It's nice to have something to look forward to. *sigh*

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:39 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Blue_Nowhere wrote:

Pretty much the same here. Getting an appointment to see a GP has replaced retrieving the belt of Hippolyta as one of the 12 labours of Hercules.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 am

Got through at 8am, which was an achievement in itself, to be told my GP isn't actually in today. Guess what? I can't see another GP unless it's 'medically urgent' and if not...try again tomorrow at 8am.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 am
Profile WWW

That's really unhelpful. I can see why your user avatar is appropriate, at least for this.
If you've been trying to get an appointment for 3 days then I think it's safe to say you're not time wasting - at this rate it'll have developed into something medically urgent by the time you get an appointment :x

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 am

davrosG5 wrote:
That's really unhelpful. I can see why your user avatar is appropriate, at least for this.
If you've been trying to get an appointment for 3 days then I think it's safe to say you're not time wasting - at this rate it'll have developed into something medically urgent by the time you get an appointment :x

My thoughts exactly - part of the reason I want to go is because I've been ill for a few weeks and it's just not the flu symptoms. Miss Blue recently had blood tests and it was found she was deficient in some vitamins so I'm worried that I am too, given our diets are much the same. I'm not sure how much of an adverse affect it would have on my overall health but I'm guessing it's probably not good especially if my immune system is already diminished!

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:03 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

It is a bit better over here. Usually ring at 8 in the morning and they tell me to come at the end of surgery and they will fit me in - usually around 30 minutes wait. A proper appointment for non-emergency stuff is usually 1 or 2 days wait.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:17 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

paulzolo wrote:
Hmm. GP Surgery down to 1 doctor and four locums. Looks like the GP who was my named GP has cleared off. Last time I got a letter telling me who my named GP was, this time nothing.

That's a practice that's going to close down. Remember, the entire "named GP" is a rehash by the Govt. In the olden days, you had one GP for life (until they retired or emigrated). Then you had your main GP but could see others in the practice. Then the Govt decreed that patients should be registered to the practice and not individual GPs. Then the Govt said that old people (over 75) should have a named GP. Then they thought it was such a good idea that it should be rolled out to everyone. As far as I'm concerned, it's academic. You can see whoever you want but in a practice full of locums, there's no continuity of care. The money spent on locums means the job or area isn't attractive enough to gain new candidates, or there it's a sinking practice that will eventually close, merge or get taken over by the likes of Virgin.

Blue_Nowhere wrote:

If it can wait a week, it's not urgent. If it can't, tell them it's urgent.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
paulzolo wrote:

That's a practice that's going to close down. Remember, the entire "named GP" is a rehash by the Govt. In the olden days, you had one GP for life (until they retired or emigrated). Then you had your main GP but could see others in the practice. Then the Govt decreed that patients should be registered to the practice and not individual GPs. Then the Govt said that old people (over 75) should have a named GP. Then they thought it was such a good idea that it should be rolled out to everyone. As far as I'm concerned, it's academic. You can see whoever you want but in a practice full of locums, there's no continuity of care. The money spent on locums means the job or area isn't attractive enough to gain new candidates, or there it's a sinking practice that will eventually close, merge or get taken over by the likes of Virgin.

The practice has been taken on by a practice in Colchester. From the letters I have, this is possibly temporary while they look for a new permanent provider over the next 12 months. I get the feeling that what is currently temporary may well stick, unless that remote practice decides that it’s not worthwhile to continue. It‘s a case of “wait and see” - though I wonder if some proactive research into other practices in the area may be prudent.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491 ... 504  Next