Reply to topic  [ 4020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268  Next
Tales of Fail Thread 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

davrosG5 wrote:
Currently in talks with Virgin Trains East Coast over a refund for the journey up to Scotland last Saturday.
My journey was from Peterborough to a place called Croy. Visiting the parents and that’s the most convenient station to meet at. Croy is between Glasgow and Edinburgh so I have to change at Edinburgh.
So, the VTEC train was delayed by 28 minutes. This meant that I missed the scheduled connection in Edinburgh to get to Croy. At the time of night I arrived there’s only one train an hour that stops at Croy so I was actually an hour late getting to my destination.
Now, VTEC have rejected my ‘delay repay’ claim on the grounds that my delay was only 28 minutes.
Their T&Cs don’t say they only consider their portion of the journey and in any case, the delay to the entire journey actually seems to make them liable to pay compensation under the National Rail Conditions or Cariage regardless of any internal procedures.

Further, the delay on the VTEC train was largely down to problems with the train staff and the train - a miscommunication between the train manager and the driver, a door that was reluctant to lock at a station and a signalling problem (fair enough the last one was presumably outside their control but it wasn’t the major contributor to the delay).

Will see what they say but I suspect I’ll have a fight on my hands :x

As expected VTEC rejected my claim a second time... using exactly the same text they used the first time. It's almost as if they didn't even bother reading my complaint. Next stop Passenger Focus I think.

Wed May 30, 2018 10:01 am
What's a life?

I was going through some old paperwork and found my claim to HMRC for professional expenses. They said they'd adjust the tax code to reflect the expenditure. I naively assumed the tax code would remain so I didn't have to keep claiming. Turns out they did it for that year and then reverted to standard. So I've just gone through my expenses and resubmitted a claim for the last four years. Hopefully should be accepted.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:45 pm

One of my friends appears to be determined to bate the notoriously good humoured people at airport security in Texas where he's flying for business.
He picked up Iran in his works World Cup sweepstake thingy so has updated his bookface profile with a 'I support Iran' banner and is apparently wearing an Iranian team t-shirt for his flight.
What could possibly go wrong. :roll:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Just done a business card design for a new client, who is going to get it printed at Vistaprint. So I download the relevant template from the Vistaprint site and create the design over the top.

However when I come to test the artwork by uploading to Vistaprint, I discover that the specifications on their upload page are 3mm shorter than those in the template! Then spend a frustrating hour on the phone talking to various Vistaprint representatives trying to explain that the 3mm discrepancy is not the difference between the trim and bleed sizes but the fact that the template they supply does not match the measurements on the upload page and consequently when I upload my artwork 1.5mm extra is trimmed off the top and bottom.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I can see how that would be annoying. I use them for my business cards too. Thankfully I've never had a problem, but them I don't think I used one of their templates. I did my own from scratch.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
I can see how that would be annoying. I use them for my business cards too. Thankfully I've never had a problem, but them I don't think I used one of their templates. I did my own from scratch.

The template just has the bleed, trim and text safe area marked on it. I thought it would save some time not having to create them first. I was wrong.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:53 pm
Profile WWW

I can't help but thinking that the Daily Mash are being a bit too clever when it comes to data sharing transparency:

clickety

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 am

So, my attempt to make Falafel from scratch didn't go terribly well. They didn't so much cook as disintegrate when I was frying them - I ended up with a really nice green coloured oily chick pea sludge.
I think the mixture might be too wet so a bit of flour should hopefully remedy the situation.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:28 am
What's a life?

So a few weeks ago, I painted the small bedroom in the house to give it a refresh. Nothing special, just white paint. There was a mirror on the wall that was large enough and tricky enough to hang that it took two of us to do so. Swmbo took it on herself today to try and hang it. Result? Scraped the wall where I had painted and cracked the mirror frame (though not the mirror).

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:37 am
What's a life?

Automatic translation.

I hate it! I'm doing some research at work and having to prepare information in German, as usual. I need a lot of information from Microsoft and Google. The sites are available in English and "machine translated" German. As I am doing the work in German, I used the German pages, because it should be easier, as I then shouldn't have to translate the information a second time for my report...

Only the machine translated pages (using both companies respective translation engines) are complete jibberish. Well, at first glance it looks like German, but when you try and read it, verbs are missing or misrepresented or it uses the wrong verb altogether or the meaning the of the sentence is the exact opposite of what was written in English!

Original wrote:
Journal all messages that are sent to and received by mailboxes on a specific mailbox database. To journal all messages in your organization, you need to configure journaling on all mailbox databases on all Exchange servers.

Translation of the translation wrote:
The Journal all mailboxes in a specific mailbox database, that are sent and collection in a specific mailbox database. In generation you must configure all messages in your organisation journaling on all mailbox databases on all exchange servers

Original wrote:
Place a mailbox on Litigation Hold to preserve all mailbox content, including deleted items and original versions of modified items. When you place a mailbox on Litigation Hold, the user's archive mailbox (if it's enabled) is also placed on hold. Deleted and modified items are preserved for a specified period or until you remove the mailbox from Litigation Hold. All such mailbox items are returned in an In-Place eDiscovery in Exchange 2016 search.

Translation of the translation wrote:
Placing a mailbox keeping for eventual legal processes, including the deleted objects and the original versions of change objects retain. When you place a mailbox on keeping for eventual legal processes, user's achrive mailbox (if activated) is also placed in the queue. Deleted and changed elements will be retained for a specific time period or until you remove the mailbox from keeping for eventual legal processes. a such mailbox elements will returned in an in-place eDiscovery in Exchange 2016 search.

In fact, the re-translated English sounds a lot better than the German that was created!

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:47 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... ooded-road

Kayaking on The Strood isn't a good idea, but driving across it in that kind of condition is idiotic too. People get stranded trying to drive across at high tide is a common occurrence.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 pm
What's a life?

Someone has just sent me a JPEG of a certificate. Can I make it into a Word document for him to play around with?

I don’t even HAVE Word. No need for it, and it’s way too costly for the amount of use I’d get out of it. So an answer was no.

Also: never ask a designer to do stuff in Word.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:46 am
What's a life?

Some PDF editors/OCR software will convert images into editable items. Might be worth a go?

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:44 am

paulzolo wrote:
Someone has just sent me a JPEG of a certificate. Can I make it into a Word document for him to play around with?

I don’t even HAVE Word. No need for it, and it’s way too costly for the amount of use I’d get out of it. So an answer was no.

Also: never ask a designer to do stuff in Word.

If you did have Word, you could have simply imported the JPEG into it and sent it back to him.

I've lost count of the number of time I've asked for logos only to be supplied with a Word file containing a very low resolution version of the logo (probably off their web site) embedded in it.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:46 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

LibreOffice and save in Word format?

But a pretty silly request.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 4020 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268  Next