Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Dennis Interactive 
Doesn't have much of a life

Well, just checked my e-mails, guess what's in the spam folder? This:
Quote:
Your message was passed onto me by Pete Wootton who asked me to reply in person.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write to the board at Dennis. I would like to apologise for the lack of notice we gave you about the changes we are making on our forums. The reasons behind the decision were both technical and strategic.

For some time now, Dennis Publishing’s strategy has been to build on the strengths of each core brand within its portfolio. Rather than merge content together across our core brands, we want to provide our readers with sites that have different personalities that you can pick/choose from. Each site is unique in its content and appeal to the reader and, subsequently, each site will host content and forums that are unique to that brand. In a media environment that is becoming increasingly fragmented we believe this strategy will sustain us through what are very challenging market conditions.

That’s the strategy part of why we took the decision to change the way our forums operate. More importantly, as a direct consequence of Dennis recently moving hosting supplier and upgrading our entire registration infrastructure, we had a week’s notice to inform our editors, and subsequently our readers, about the planned changes – the main impact being that the new registration system doesn’t allow shared forums.

However, this does not mean you’ll need to go through the full registration process on every Dennis site you visit. Once you’ve registered on one site, all you need do is pick a new forum screen-name for each additional site you want to access. This means you can have different screen-names on each site, allowing you to have a different persona on, say, Maxim and PC Pro. If you wish to keep the same screen-name on every site, that’s fine too (as long as it hasn’t been taken already by another user).

By moving to our new registration system we will also be able to introduce new features ourselves without being reliant on a third party or supplier as we were formerly. This has stifled our ability to evolve this platform in the past and we are confident that you will appreciate how we evolve/improve our sites and associated forums moving forward.

This has been a major undertaking for this company and mistakes have been made. Apologies again for the short notice that shared forums will no longer be available, but let me assure you that it was never our intention to hide anything from the community. This mistake was an oversight in a very large and complex project.

We will have the forums back up and running shortly and we will continue to offer what we believe to be the best editorial content on the web, and the forums we had before (now brand-specific).

I hope you will continue to enjoy our sites and will be joining us when the forums are back live.

Kind Regards,

Barry

*sigh*

flickr

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:02 pm

mars-bar-man wrote:
Well, just checked my e-mails, guess what's in the spam folder?

That's really strange. You won't imagine how similar the email I received was ;)

Peter.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:14 pm

pg2114 wrote:
mars-bar-man wrote:
Well, just checked my e-mails, guess what's in the spam folder?

That's really strange. You won't imagine how similar the email I received was ;)

Peter.

Wow!!! It's almost as if they've cut and paste!! The genius of these people!

Maybe I'll send one back, or we all should that says exactly the same thing!

Just an idea :roll:

flickr

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:26 pm

mars-bar-man wrote:
Maybe I'll send one back, or we all should that says exactly the same thing!

I'm sending one back to him, Mr Wootton and the board to tell them to take this matter seriously.

Peter.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:29 pm

This is the very quick email I sent to them.

Quote:
Dear Mr Wootton,

I recently emailed you personally to complain about the changes to the Dennis Interactive forums and am completely disatisfied with the response received.

Not only was I hoping for a personal response from yourself, I was also hoping any response I did receive would answer the points in my original email. Barry's copy-and-paste reply has simply made this matter worse.

I have telephoned today and cancelled my two subscriptions and shall not be using your forums when they return later this week. You have lost yourselves a lot of loyal subscribers and users over this issue.

Peter.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:33 pm
What's a life?

How very odd - I just checked my spam and got the same. This is very unsettling, but to be expected.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:46 pm
What's a life?

Just sent this off:

Quote:
thank you for your reply to my email, which appears to have been sent to a few other people who have contacted you with similar concerns to mine.

I understand a few of your points, and I do accept that there is a case for keeping some magazine forums apart. To take your example, keeping Maxim and PCPro separate makes sense. However, what doesn’t make sense is breaking apart a number of publications which share a common theme - in this case IT. As I stated previously, the shared forums for magazines such as PCPro and MacUser (to name but a few) were very helpful, and I would add beneficial to your brands. I am primarily a MacUser, but it really helps to know that on the forum there are Windows and Linux users who can help me out of scrapes when it comes to my fumblings in those areas. And the Dennis forums were the first place I’d think of going to ask a question.

Breaking the forums up adds a level of complication which is wholly artificial, and an unnecessary obstacle. What happens if you want to comment on the same news story on MacUser and PCPro to get a better perspective of opinion? Post on both? Check both? Reply on both? I hope you can see the redundancy in having to check in more than one place.

As the die is cast on this, I suspect that it’s not worth commenting much further. I’ll be spending a lot more time on the x404 forum, where I will be able to mix with the usual folk regardless of platform or magazine brand. I really think you have broken something rather precious with this move, and from what you say, it appears that it’s not going to be fixed. The new forums will just not be the same, however much you try to talk it up.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:11 pm
Occasionally has a life

paulzolo wrote:
Just sent this off:

Quote:
thank you for your reply to my email, which appears to have been sent to a few other people who have contacted you with similar concerns to mine.

I understand a few of your points, and I do accept that there is a case for keeping some magazine forums apart. To take your example, keeping Maxim and PCPro separate makes sense. However, what doesn’t make sense is breaking apart a number of publications which share a common theme - in this case IT. As I stated previously, the shared forums for magazines such as PCPro and MacUser (to name but a few) were very helpful, and I would add beneficial to your brands. I am primarily a MacUser, but it really helps to know that on the forum there are Windows and Linux users who can help me out of scrapes when it comes to my fumblings in those areas. And the Dennis forums were the first place I’d think of going to ask a question.

Breaking the forums up adds a level of complication which is wholly artificial, and an unnecessary obstacle. What happens if you want to comment on the same news story on MacUser and PCPro to get a better perspective of opinion? Post on both? Check both? Reply on both? I hope you can see the redundancy in having to check in more than one place.

As the die is cast on this, I suspect that it’s not worth commenting much further. I’ll be spending a lot more time on the x404 forum, where I will be able to mix with the usual folk regardless of platform or magazine brand. I really think you have broken something rather precious with this move, and from what you say, it appears that it’s not going to be fixed. The new forums will just not be the same, however much you try to talk it up.

Good email.

Oh and by the way, your avatar is broken.

Depends if it’s an air brick or not, I suppose.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 pm

mars-bar-man wrote:
Well, just checked my e-mails, guess what's in the spam folder? This:
Quote:
If you wish to keep the same screen-name on every site, that’s fine too (as long as it hasn’t been taken already by another user).

*sigh*
This concerns me. So unless I rush and make sure I get the username of choice, someone else can take that username and simply assume my presence on the forums?

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:12 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
This concerns me. So unless I rush and make sure I get the username of choice, someone else can take that username and simply assume my presence on the forums?

I would also assume that all of our PMs and user data will be lost?

Peter.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:18 pm
Occasionally has a life

I'd be willing to bet it says in Dennis' T&Cs that everything you post is there's to use as they see fit. I can't quite remember back 5 years to what I signed up to...

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:44 pm
Profile WWW

Coref wrote:
I'd be willing to bet it says in Dennis' T&Cs that everything you post is there's to use as they see fit. I can't quite remember back 5 years to what I signed up to...

Then they would accept responsibility for the things posted, IIRC it said that all posts are owned by the person who made them. Or something like that. So, if I own them, and any are missing, can I prosecute them for theft? :lol:

flickr

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:54 pm

pg2114 wrote:
timark_uk wrote:

I would also assume that all of our PMs and user data will be lost?

As far as the MacUser side of things go, we were told in a posting that if you remember the original edress you signed up with, and you know your password then you will be able to login using your old account, meaning no posts/PMs/other data will be lost.
If you can't remember your original edress then you'll have to re-register all over again.

I don't know if this is applicable to any other forums outside the MacUser ones.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

timark_uk wrote:
As far as the MacUser side of things go, we were told in a posting that if you remember the original edress you signed up with, and you know your password then you will be able to login using your old account, meaning no posts/PMs/other data will be lost.
If you can't remember your original edress then you'll have to re-register all over again.

I don't know if this is applicable to any other forums outside the MacUser ones.

Mark

PcPro had exactly the same message about 2 weeks before the forums were stopped.

I also had a post / PM saying that you would still be able to use teh same logon on all forums which suggests that they will still be linked :o

Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:38 am
Profile WWW

AlunD wrote:
timark_uk wrote:

Mark

PcPro had exactly the same message about 2 weeks before the forums were stopped.

I also had a post / PM saying that you would still be able to use teh same logon on all forums which suggests that they will still be linked :o

From what I gather, they will still be linked as far as registration is concerned, but there won't be any cross-magazine discussion forums like Comments, The Meeting Place etc.
It certainly doesn't look like they are making a u-turn to please the patrons it has just lost, so it looks like x404 could be a long-term thing. Hurah! :D

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next