Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Help with technology work 
Occasionally has a life

Hey, some of you may remember some time ago I set some surveys for you to do; now I have the finished product and need some feedback / evaluation :)

Here are the questions I am needing answered, would be great if you could give a sentence or more for all, or as many as you can bother with for each point please.

The pictures;
EDIT: This is only showing part of the final train, just to a larger scale

EDIT: I just realised you cant answer most of these, so ill leave the ones you can.

Questions;
o The Metropolitan line must look much more modern
o The trains must appeal to business people and tourists alike
o The looks must reflect the changing London

Thanks! :)

Last edited by KRKux on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:52 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Its looks a bit small

oh

there's no sick and wee on the floor of the carriage

:D

Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Yeah, as in the edit comment, its a section of the train, I have other pics of the whole layout, but you cant comment on it, cos its not a true rep of the final, so I just need you to comment on the three I left..

Bearing in mind this is the one now..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... n_line.JPG

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:02 pm
What's a life?

KRKux wrote:
Hey, some of you may remember some time ago I set some surveys for you to do; now I have the finished product and need some feedback / evaluation :)

Here are the questions I am needing answered, would be great if you could give a sentence or more for all, or as many as you can bother with for each point please.

The pictures;

Questions;
o The Metropolitan line must look much more modern

The Met line runs through the suburbs to Watford. A lot of the outer laying stations were designed by to Art Deco and Modernist principles. It would be great if the rolling stock took that into account.

KRKux wrote:
o The layout must be well thought out

The Met line goes to Baker Street, residence of Mr Holmes, who usually found no [LIFTED].

KRKux wrote:
o It must allow for enough seating to carry the numbers expected on the Met.

Yes - but must also take into account the growing proportions of 21st century Londoners. You may want to address the safety aspects of jamming even more people onto a system which conforms to dimensions laid down in Victorian times.

KRKux wrote:
o The materials for the seating must withstand prolonged use

Enough with the Sherlock observations already.

KRKux wrote:
o The trains must appeal to business people and tourists alike

Agreed - though the experience of travelling on the underground is horrible - noisy, dark, flickering lights.

KRKux wrote:
o The trains must be easily usable for wheelchair and pram users, offering good space

Yes. Again, consider how you would evacuate wheelchair users from a train in a hurry.

KRKux wrote:
o The materials used must be safe for all; there must not be any sharp edges or even blunt spikes

Blunt spikes are what I travel on the tube for :-) But, yes, you need to be sure that people aren’t impaled by the hardware. Consider toxicity as well, both during sourcing, manufacture, use and disposal.

KRKux wrote:
o The materials on the seat must not be itchy or uncomfortable

Well, yes. I remember the tube in the early 1970‘s, and the seats were uncomfortable.

KRKux wrote:
o The looks must reflect the changing London

Should also reflect the history. Note that a lot of buildings in London are changing, but their exteriors are remaining constant. Even the black cabs are similar enough to the originals to be recognisable and retain the character of the place. A tube train has a style all of its own. A new design should reflect that.

KRKux wrote:
o The seats must be tested so that an average build person can easily fit into a seat

Yes - and not have Mr Fatty spill over on to it.

KRKux wrote:
o The making of a train uses many industrial processes so I must make sure that some parts can be made from recyclable materials

As much as possible, I would say.

KRKux wrote:
o I must take into account Style obsolescence

Hmm - you see, style obselecense is good until your design become obsolete. Try to design it so that it remains constant rather than needing to be replaced every couple of years. Again, look at vehicles in London. Busses, taxis - how have they changed? How have they stayed the same? Why are Routemasters still being used, and more importantly why was there a competition last year to design a new form of Routemaster? I would say that this is in part nostalgia, and part necessity. Somethings are as they are because that’s the best way to solve the problem.

KRKux wrote:
o The train must be made easy to keep clean

London Transport seems to be losing that battle at the moment, so anything to help is welcomed.

KRKux wrote:
Thanks! :)

Are we playing Jeopardy? I thought questions had a ? at the end.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:14 pm
What's a life?

KRKux wrote:
Yeah, as in the edit comment, its a section of the train, I have other pics of the whole layout, but you cant comment on it, cos its not a true rep of the final, so I just need you to comment on the three I left..

Handy hint - line your section up against a mirror. You’ll get a better idea of how the symmetry of it works. Take pictures of that too.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:16 pm
Occasionally has a life

Thanks paul for the criticism of poor thinking.

I realised you couldnt answer most after post so is edited now, and didnt think of that shot, but will take one when in school.

Erm.

I think I will make up the answers for my coursework. :)

Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 pm
Spends far too much time on here

"I don't wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!"

Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]