Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
Yes they do but that assumes it's based on accurate meter readings.

This. Before I bought our first home, I'd read lots of stories about bills, incorrect meter readings, faulty meters or faulty appliances leading to high charges etc. So I've been tracking our usage to ensure the bills are in the right region and there's no surprises when the DD has to be adjusted to reflect usage.

davrosG5 wrote:
Each to their own. It really doesn't take much time to keep an eye out for your energy supplier trying to rip you off.
I usually take a meter reading (Gas, Electricity and Water) every month and it must take me a whole 5 minutes every month.

+1. I normally put a reminder on my phone every month to check the meters. I'll take a photo and then submit readings online. I keep a spreadsheet at work so it takes a few seconds to load and enter figures.

Next thing is you'll be calling me sad for recording mpg/fuel usage in a spreadsheet too. Twice it's helped me find a fault with the car when mpg has dropped drastically.

Last edited by cloaked_wolf on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:30 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Next thing is you'll be calling me sad for recording mpg/fuel usage in a spreadsheet too. Twice it's helped me find a fault with the car when mpg has dropped drastically.

I'll be sad as well then :lol:

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:51 am
Official forum cat lady

I don't remember calling anyone sad. As a home owner of nearly 30 years I guess I just know what bills to expect and quickly spot any anomolies <shrugs>

And someone has misquoted me - just so you know

cloaked_wolf wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:
Each to their own. It really doesn't take much time to keep an eye out for your energy supplier trying to rip you off.
I usually take a meter reading (Gas, Electricity and Water) every month and it must take me a whole 5 minutes every month.

I definitely didn't say that. I'm not that organised lol

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:27 am
What's a life?

oceanicitl wrote:

Edited.

I think everyone has their own way of doing things. I've owned a house for three years so far. First own home and all that. I prefer fixed rate mortgages so I know how much goes out each month and how much is left to play with. Similar approach with bills. I don't want to have unexpected hikes because I've been underpaying for six months. Hence the need for monitoring.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 am
Official forum cat lady

cloaked_wolf wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:

Edited.

I think everyone has their own way of doing things. I've owned a house for three years so far. First own home and all that. I prefer fixed rate mortgages so I know how much goes out each month and how much is left to play with. Similar approach with bills. I don't want to have unexpected hikes because I've been underpaying for six months. Hence the need for monitoring.

Fairy nuff

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:36 am
Has a life

I tend to treat my suppliers as a means of getting a lump sum every so often. They keep insisting on putting my DD up and I have to keep asking for a refund when the overpayment reaches £100 or so.
They won't accept the fact that I know better than them what my usage is likely to be and the won't accept that it is ALWAYS a lot lower than they estimate.

It is a real shame I can't charge them Interest on my money they keep in THEIR bank account. I really will have to get nasty with them one of theses days!!

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:48 pm
What's a life?

Burn_IT wrote:
I tend to treat my suppliers as a means of getting a lump sum every so often. They keep insisting on putting my DD up and I have to keep asking for a refund when the overpayment reaches £100 or so.
They won't accept the fact that I know better than them what my usage is likely to be and the won't accept that it is ALWAYS a lot lower than they estimate.

It is a real shame I can't charge them Interest on my money they keep in THEIR bank account. I really will have to get nasty with them one of theses days!!

The cost is slightly higher but you can opt for quarterly billing which would be based on actual readings submitted (either by you or meter reader). Doing monthly direct debits gives a slight discount because they "overcharge".

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:25 am

Burn_IT wrote:

Ovo used to pay interest on any credit you had with them over a certain amount. Not sure if they still do but might be worth checking out if you're regularly in credit.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 am

Isn't it great when people totally ignore the 2 working days delivery time for the service I provide - requesting something for the morning of the following day at 4pm really is taking the proverbial.
I mean, what could possibly go wrong rushing through chemical safety research :x

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:31 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
So apparently I can't get fibre broadband because I'm too close to the exchange.
They say I'm connected directly to the exchange rather than to a green cabinet which means I can't get it. They're looking into Technical solutions, which is a polite way of saying they're doing nothing.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:04 pm
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
So apparently I can't get fibre broadband because I'm too close to the exchange.
They say I'm connected directly to the exchange rather than to a green cabinet which means I can't get it. They're looking into Technical solutions, which is a polite way of saying they're doing nothing.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

How very irritating. Although do you at least get a decent turn of speed on ADSL if you're that close?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm
What's a life?

Yeah, I get the full 20MB

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:33 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

High end Android phones.
Why are the manufacturers removing headphone jacks when there are no adaptors available that allow you to charge the device and use the USB connection to plug in headphones at the same time. Sort it out! All the older phones with jacks have small batteries.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

People asking for help, and then not trying the solution offered. In a software forum, someone posted an error message and wanted to know how to get rid of it. I know (pretty much to 100% certainty) what has happened, I’ve offered a solution, but the person seems to be incapable of, or unwilling to follow instructions. I’ve posted one last time, but that’s it. The thing is, it’s not hard. Basically the equivalent of turning it off and on again (delete object, put new object in, restore settings). I’ve had three goes at explaining what to do. That’s two more than I should have to.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:00 am
Site Admin

l3v1ck wrote:
High end Android phones.
Why are the manufacturers removing headphone jacks when there are no adaptors available that allow you to charge the device and use the USB connection to plug in headphones at the same time. Sort it out! All the older phones with jacks have small batteries.

Bluetooth headphones or a bluetooth adapter for your existing ones or a wireless charger. Job done.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329 ... 334  Next