Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 
What's a life?

So I make an order from a website. I haven't used it since before I moved. As part of the order, I update the delivery details. A week later (today) I get a text and email telling me my parcel has been dispatched and should be ready for delivery tomorrow. To my old address! :evil:

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:00 pm
Legend

For people often desperately concerned with aging, why are women usually so bloody late?!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 pm
Official forum cat lady

pcernie wrote:
For people often desperately concerned with aging, why are women usually so bloody late?!

Late? Late for what?

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 am
Legend

oceanicitl wrote:
pcernie wrote:

Late? Late for what?

Take your pick lol.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 am
What's a life?

oceanicitl wrote:
And that, people, is what's wrong with the UK today. Bratty have you never been told to respect your elders? You'll be an OAP one day (if you're lucky enough to have a long life). Just because they are slow does not make them stupid.

Obv, the older you get the longer some things take. And you don't get stupid, but some old people do take longer with cognitive tasks, not just physical ones. That's just the nature of getting old.

But then (and this is kind of the initial point that was made I think) if you're an elderly person, who is retired, you have all week to get the jobs you need to get done so if they do take longer, surely you want to do then when things aren't as busy so you'll be able to take the time to do the things you need to do without getting flustered or rushed and without holding anyone else up? Surely that would be a better experience for you, regardless of everyone else?

I don't want them banned from supermarkets on a weekend or anything daft like that but when I see a retired couple in the middle of the noise and chaos and, frankly, deeply unpleasant environment of a supermarket at 2.30 on a Saturday, I just think 'Why do you do it to yourself, when you've got ample opportunity to do something that's easier?' I know I certainly don't want to be there but I don't have much choice. But they do, so why choose the worst possible option? I find it incredibly perplexing.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:09 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

jonbwfc wrote:
But then (and this is kind of the initial point that was made I think) if you're an elderly person, who is retired, you have all week to get the jobs you need to get done so if they do take longer, surely you want to do then when things aren't as busy so you'll be able to take the time to do the things you need to do without getting flustered or rushed and without holding anyone else up? Surely that would be a better experience for you, regardless of everyone else?

I don't want them banned from supermarkets on a weekend or anything daft like that but when I see a retired couple in the middle of the noise and chaos and, frankly, deeply unpleasant environment of a supermarket at 2.30 on a Saturday, I just think 'Why do you do it to yourself, when you've got ample opportunity to do something that's easier?' I know I certainly don't want to be there but I don't have much choice. But they do, so why choose the worst possible option? I find it incredibly perplexing.

My neighbours are a case in point. Both in their early 80's and can get about, if slowly, but they still go shopping on a Saturday afternoon and then complain on how busy it is an how impatient people are

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 pm
What's a life?

Maybe they're busy during the week?
Maybe it's the only time they get a lift to the supermarket?
Maybe it's the best time to pick up produce?
Maybe it's the day after they pick up their pension?

I don't mind old people shopping. I don't think they should be stuck indoors on a weekend just to make room for "younger" people.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:37 pm
Official forum cat lady

pcernie wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:
pcernie wrote:

Late? Late for what?

Take your pick lol.

Need more info. If I'm going to be concerned about aging I want to know what I'm late for

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:22 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Maybe they're busy during the week?
Maybe it's the only time they get a lift to the supermarket?
Maybe it's the day after they pick up their pension?

I don't mind old people shopping. I don't think they should be stuck indoors on a weekend just to make room for "younger" people.

They may indeed be busy during the week but as they don't (necessarily) have a job they've arguably got a lot more flexibility in when they do things.

Can't argue about the 'only time they can get a lift' one other than to say that it probably depends very much on the age of person and their level of independence. Fair enough if they can't drive or no longer have a car but if they do have their own transport or there is decent public transport provision...

Best time to pick up produce? Maybe if they are reliant on little tiny village shop than doesn't get daily deliveries but that's increasingly rare these days and realistically goes right out the window if you're talking about a supermarket.

I was under the distinct impression that pensions are paid direct into your bank account so there's not really a 'pick up pension' day other than going to the bank or a cash point. According to the pensions advisory service (linky it's usually paid 4-weekly now anyway so there's not a 'pick up pension' day every week now like there used to be.

I agree with your that pensioners have as much right to be out doing their shopping as anyone else and that they shouldn't have to be sequestered away just to make room for young people. At the same time however, people who have retired and are no longer working (not necessarily the same things these days :x ) have a greater degree of flexibility in when they do things than people who have to fit things in around a job.
It comes down to inter-generational respect. Older people have generally worked hard and have a wealth of life experience that is in many cases very different from the generations after them. That doesn't give them the right to be d!cks about it or to complain about 'young people' being brusque or rude when they've chosen to go about a time when said young people are trying to do something in their increasingly short lunch break or something. Likewise younger people shouldn't dismiss someone out of hand or be rude to someone because of their age.
If you make the mistake of watching the news however you get the distinct impression that tolerance and respect are rapidly diminishing everywhere.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 pm
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:

All I'd say about that one is anybody who cares enough about the quality of produce to go and buy it at a specific time to optimise it's quality wouldn't be seen dead inside any British supermarket. The quality of the produce (as in fresh fruit & veg for example) is uniformly terrible.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:33 pm
Legend

@ Caz

I was implying that for all the anti-aging activity some women indulge in, maybe checking the time would help... You know, in general.

The usual get-out clauses apply: this is only some women, but apparently all the ones I know...

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:49 pm

female managers striking again at my work, :roll: Sometimes I think "god" was high on crack cocaine when he created the thought process of a lady, theres just something missing...

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:59 pm

brataccas wrote:
female managers striking again at my work, :roll: Sometimes I think "god" was high on crack cocaine when he created the thought process of a lady, theres just something missing...

Comfortable chair? Check!
Popcorn? Check!

Let the show begin... :P

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

pcernie wrote:
@ Caz

I was implying that for all the anti-aging activity some women indulge in, maybe checking the time would help... You know, in general.

The usual get-out clauses apply: this is only some women, but apparently all the ones I know...

You mean they're slapping on the anti aging creams a bit late?

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:52 am
Official forum cat lady

John_Vella wrote:
brataccas wrote:

Comfortable chair? Check!
Popcorn? Check!

Let the show begin... :P

Why? Are you doing a show? lol <deliberately ignores Bratty lol>

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 334  Next