Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

There's no evidence of damage so without some sort of evidence it actually happened what can you do.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:59 pm
What's a life?

l3v1ck wrote:
Burn_IT wrote:
And the police would do yo for wasting their time.

Nope. You might not have to report an accident to the police, but you do have to provide insurance details to the person you've hit. Not to do so is an offence, therefor it's not wasting police time for reporting someone who's failed to do so.

In Germany it is similar, you are legally required to hand over your details to the other party. If they are not on site (i.e. you hit a parked car), it is not acceptable to pop a note under the windscreen wiper and drive off. In that situation, you have to wait a reasonable amount of time and if the other vehicle owner doesn't come back, you HAVE to inform the police.

If you don't hand over your details to the other party or the police, it is considered fleeing the scene of an accident and has a high financial penalty, points on your license and, in extreme cases, where somebody is injured, for example, a license suspension and possibly a prison term is also possible.

Somebody rammed one of our directors a few days back, then drove off without stopping. They managed to get the registration number and the police found the HGV, along with damage to the front, where he had hit the car. The driver is being done for fleeing, luckily nobody was hurt, otherwise it would have been failiure to provide assistance to an injured party, which is a serious criminal offense (if you see an accident (or cause it), you are legally required to stop and provide first aid until the emergency services arrive, failure to do so can carry a high penalty).

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:54 pm
Profile ICQ

Americans. :roll:

Does anyone else find it somewhat worrying that Americans very often refer to 'good guys' and 'bad guys' in situations like this? Are they 8 years old mentally?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 pm
What's a life?

Possibly... And if it was a gun free zone, the shooter would have not got in there in the first place.

That said, knife attacks are up in Germany. :(

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:49 pm
Profile ICQ
Official forum cat lady

I really don't get their obsession with guns. I was horrified to read the other day that a 9 year old boy shot his 13 year old sister and killed her over a video game.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 am

big_D wrote:
Possibly... And if it was a gun free zone, the shooter would have not got in there in the first place.

That said, knife attacks are up in Germany. :(

But its very hard to kill 17 with a knife

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:13 pm
What's a life?

oceanicitl wrote:
I really don't get their obsession with guns. I was horrified to read the other day that a 9 year old boy shot his 13 year old sister and killed her over a video game.

We have a Texan working here part time. He says that he was once handed a pistol and felt uncomfortable holding it (i.e. he felt uncomfortable, not that the gun was uncomfortable in his hand) and gave it back to the owner straight away. He doesn't like guns... A TEXAN, I say; what is the world coming to? ;) He is a student, studying here in Germany.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:16 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:

We have a Texan working here part time. He says that he was once handed a pistol and felt uncomfortable holding it (i.e. he felt uncomfortable, not that the gun was uncomfortable in his hand) and gave it back to the owner straight away. He doesn't like guns... A TEXAN, I say; what is the world coming to? ;) He is a student, studying here in Germany.

He probably voted democrat as well :D which is why he left

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:14 pm
What's a life?

I'm going away for a fortnight. Swmbo was uptight about home security because her family have been broken into a few times now. So managed to get the alarm guy in to fit a new alarm (which he did three weeks after he was originally supposed to come). I also bought some Nest indoor cameras to point at the front and back doors. The front door one works fine. The back door one has gone offline twice in the two weeks I've had it. No idea whether it's due to poor wifi connection or something else but I've had to powercycle it each time. So I bought a digital timer socket so it will powercycle each day to minimise down time.

This morning, the Virgin router decided to stop working for approximately an hour. It's now up and running but the Nest cameras won't work without an active internet connection. So now I find myself looking at buying a new router. I fly out in two days time.

EDIT: Two weeks ago, I found an old O2 router and decided that since I hadn't used it in ten years, I'd be better off chucking it away. Might have been able to use it as a repeater.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:07 am
Doesn't have much of a life

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I'm going away for a fortnight. Swmbo was uptight about home security because her family have been broken into a few times now. So managed to get the alarm guy in to fit a new alarm (which he did three weeks after he was originally supposed to come). I also bought some Nest indoor cameras to point at the front and back doors. The front door one works fine. The back door one has gone offline twice in the two weeks I've had it. No idea whether it's due to poor wifi connection or something else but I've had to powercycle it each time. So I bought a digital timer socket so it will powercycle each day to minimise down time.

This morning, the Virgin router decided to stop working for approximately an hour. It's now up and running but the Nest cameras won't work without an active internet connection. So now I find myself looking at buying a new router. I fly out in two days time.

EDIT: Two weeks ago, I found an old O2 router and decided that since I hadn't used it in ten years, I'd be better off chucking it away. Might have been able to use it as a repeater.

Not wanting to add to your other half's paranoia, but how effective are these measures in your neighbourhood?

Does your alarm system contact the police or a security company or does it just make a loud noise? I live in a reasonably nice area where I know all my permanent neighbours and I am part of the local resident's group, but should anyone's alarm go off here the best you will get is a couple of people coming out into the street to see what's making all the noise. If it happens more than a few times a year it will soon get completely ignored. The alarm on one of the house across the street from me used to go off on a regular basis (at least a couple of times a month) and inevitably when they did have a n actual break-in, the first the rest of the street knew about it was when the police came round doing door-to-door enquiries which meant that it must have been a bit more serious than the average burglary.

Also I wouldn't consider anything that uses WiFi as a serious security measure since it can be simply defeated with the use of an inexpensive WiFi jammer.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:54 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

The alarm is more of a deterrent. I've advised one of the neighbours that we're going away and if the alarm goes off, to have a look and see what's going on. Family will go in and look around daily (and collect post).

There's no real point in monitored alarms as far as I'm aware. I know when swmbo's family got a quote from ADT, they said they would send a message to the police who might come out if they've got capacity (but no guarantee). One of their neighbours was hit and the thieves managed to disable the alarm within 30 seconds so the main siren didn't trigger. It gave them all the time in the world to ransack the place. The only reason swmbo's family didn't lose as much was because they couldn't find and disable the main box. The thieves were later caught and police said this was their MO.

The Nest cameras are inside the house so won't be spotted from outside the house. It's a temporary measure until I can get a proper wired in system set up so it records to hard drive rather than reliant on wifi (the flakiness of which is now apparent) or broadband (can also go down). I have considered using some form of UPS as back up in case the power is cut off as well.

ATEOTD, everything is meant to be a deterrent but if someone really wants something, they'll get it. I know of two robberies where thieves had broken in and taken stuff at gunpoint.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:41 am

You do usually get a discount on your insurance if the property has a working alarm, even if it is just for deterrence.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:23 am
What's a life?

I've been through a lot of routers over the years, the most reliable I've used are the AVM Fritz!Box series.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:36 am
Profile ICQ

Yet another phone call from SSE trying to get me to agree to a smart meter. This despite me having told them on numerous occasions that I'm not interested until the new v2 ones that are transferable between suppliers are available.
I have little confidence that the person on the phone telling me they've added a note to the record to say I'm not interested will work as that's what was meant to have happened last time.

In any case, I don't really see the point for me. I live on my own and I take monthly readings anyway so I'm already pretty on top of my energy usage.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:27 am
Official forum cat lady

cloaked_wolf wrote:
The alarm is more of a deterrent. I've advised one of the neighbours that we're going away and if the alarm goes off, to have a look and see what's going on. Family will go in and look around daily (and collect post).

There's no real point in monitored alarms as far as I'm aware. I know when swmbo's family got a quote from ADT, they said they would send a message to the police who might come out if they've got capacity (but no guarantee). One of their neighbours was hit and the thieves managed to disable the alarm within 30 seconds so the main siren didn't trigger. It gave them all the time in the world to ransack the place. The only reason swmbo's family didn't lose as much was because they couldn't find and disable the main box. The thieves were later caught and police said this was their MO.

The Nest cameras are inside the house so won't be spotted from outside the house. It's a temporary measure until I can get a proper wired in system set up so it records to hard drive rather than reliant on wifi (the flakiness of which is now apparent) or broadband (can also go down). I have considered using some form of UPS as back up in case the power is cut off as well.

ATEOTD, everything is meant to be a deterrent but if someone really wants something, they'll get it. I know of two robberies where thieves had broken in and taken stuff at gunpoint.

I've got an ADT alarm but rarely remember to put it on.

I agree that you shouldn't have any kind of security that relies on the internet. What exactly is she worried about? It sounds like she doesn't want to be alone rather than being worried about a break in. If someone does break in there's a whole heap of things that could happen, as we've seen in the news this week, long before any assistance arrives.

If it's likely to be a regular thing have you thought about suggesting self defence classes to her? If she is able to defend herself she may feel safer and build her confidence. Alternatively could she stay with family if you're away?

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 334  Next