Reply to topic  [ 4975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324 ... 332  Next
Random $h!t Thread - Part VI 
What's a life?

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

That has been the way America has been seen for the last century and a half.

Now, in 2017, that seems to be

"Keep your tired, your poor
Keep them, the homeless, the entrepreneurs, tempest-tossed,
I have doused my lamp and closed the golden door!"

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:20 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

big_D wrote:
“Give me your tired, your poor,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

That has been the way America has been seen for the last century and a half.

Now, in 2017, that seems to be

"Keep your tired, your poor
Keep them, the homeless, the entrepreneurs, tempest-tossed,
I have doused my lamp and closed the golden door!"

It's not just America. Britain seems to be going down a similar route as well.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 am
What's a life?

The Qashqai had problems with the air system - it was pumping out cold air on the driver's side and warm air on the passenger side (A/C turned on for 20°C, outside temperature over 25°C). I had them do the annual service at the same time.

They removed the complete dashboard and inserted a complete new air system. That was done under guarantee, luckily!

Total cost 195€, which I find is reasonable, compared to my old Toyota and Citroen.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:33 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Congratulations to mr and mrs saspro, and welcome baby saspro to X404. 8-)

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Congratulations to mr and mrs saspro, and welcome baby saspro to X404. 8-)

Not sure why I didn't notice this before... Congratulations to you both! :D

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Hands up anyone in the UK who cares that OJ Simpson has been given parole. Anyone? Anyone?

Then why the heck is it front page on half the newspapers and item 3 on the BBC news? It's bizarre.

One of the news reports I saw this morning started "OJ Simpson - a man never far from the spotlight..." HE SPENT THE LAST NINE YEARS IN JAIL.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 am
Legend

jonbwfc wrote:
Hands up anyone in the UK who cares that OJ Simpson has been given parole. Anyone? Anyone?

Then why the heck is it front page on half the newspapers and item 3 on the BBC news? It's bizarre.

One of the news reports I saw this morning started "OJ Simpson - a man never far from the spotlight..." HE SPENT THE LAST NINE YEARS IN JAIL.

The BBC website is fast becoming Buzzfeed and it's gonna land them in court again I predict. And it being the Beeb, the reputational hit will be much worse.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:08 am
What's a life?

Now, it's very possible the BBC has a number of questions to answer on it's wages structure but... Am I the only one who is struggling to have a lot of sympathy for someone who earns a quarter of a million pounds a year for reading an autocue claiming they are underpaid? Yes, you earn less than some other people and it turns out a lot of them are men. And some of the money some of the men are paid frankly cannot be good value for money - Hugh Edwards gets half a million a year for like 10 hours work a week? But really, is this the issue you should be campaigning on?

The fact is they are ALL paid vast sums of money by the terms of any normal person's earnings - seriously, all of the women who have signed that letter earn ten times what the vast majority of the people (male or female) reading the newspapers in which the open letter has been published do. I want to hear about pay equality in the BBC's service and backroom staff much more than I want to hear about one individual who is paid a massive fortune being paid a slightly less massive fortune than some other individual, regardless of what their individual genders are.

Jonathan

Last edited by jonbwfc on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 am
Has a life

Here! Here!

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:01 pm
What's a life?

Adobe announce End-Of-Life for Flash

'Bout bloody time.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Did some house insurance comparing, and managed to save about £300 on the renewal price. Woohoo! :D

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:
Did some house insurance comparing, and managed to save about £300 on the renewal price. Woohoo! :D

Who did you go with in the end? I'm with esure IIRC and the cost was £250 total.

In a similar vein, I got a renewal for breakdown cover with the RAC. Last year I paid around £130. This year they wanted £250 and it would be automatically renewed. I went to the RAC website on my phone and they quoted £114 for the same level of cover. I rang up to cancel my renewal with the AA and then went to the same site on my phone. The quote had now jumped to £130 without doing anything. I used my work computer and they quoted £114, so i signed up for that.

I knew I had to shop around every year for breakdown cover, home insurance etc, and I knew when looking for flights/holidays that prices would jump. I hadn't realised that it had spread to other industries.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:52 am

cloaked_wolf wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

Who did you go with in the end? I'm with esure IIRC and the cost was £250 total.

In a similar vein, I got a renewal for breakdown cover with the RAC. Last year I paid around £130. This year they wanted £250 and it would be automatically renewed. I went to the RAC website on my phone and they quoted £114 for the same level of cover. I rang up to cancel my renewal with the AA and then went to the same site on my phone. The quote had now jumped to £130 without doing anything. I used my work computer and they quoted £114, so i signed up for that.

I knew I had to shop around every year for breakdown cover, home insurance etc, and I knew when looking for flights/holidays that prices would jump. I hadn't realised that it had spread to other industries.

We were with the Co-op and are now with the Post Office. Wife phoned the Co-op to tell them we're not renewing, and they didn't even ask why, just said OK, no problem. Fair enough. Guess they have enough business without us ;)

Edit to add: £300 wasn't the cost... that's how much I saved. The annual cost is £144. :D

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

We put out the electronic / metal rubbish out for collection today and within an hour over half of it had been stolen! :shock:

The old TV (Aldi 28" TV), old iMac, freezer, old Sony amplifier and 2 bikes disappeared before the rubbish lorry turned up - the thief was busy packing the items into his car as the lorry came down the road, the thief climbed back into his car quickly, before he could load the rest into his car, and reversed around the corner.

Tonight we should be putting out the "Sperrmüll" (awkward rubbish), which is things like beds, old cupboards etc. that are too big / awkward to be collected with the normal rubbish.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:15 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 4975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324 ... 332  Next