Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
Star Trek: Federation 
Legend

15 Amazing Things You Never Knew About 'Star Trek' Writers
http://sciencefiction.com/2016/09/08/15 ... k-writers/

Writer Nicholas Meyer Explains Why 'Star Trek: Discovery' Is Set Pre-Kirk
http://sciencefiction.com/2016/09/08/wr ... -pre-kirk/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:02 pm
What's a life?

Quote:
New Discovery Launch Date -- May 2017

Star Trek: Discovery will now launch in May, 2017, it was announced this afternoon by CBS All Access. The new premiere date is driven by the creative team's belief that this will give the show the appropriate time for delivery of the highest-quality, premium edition of the first new Star Trek television series in more than a decade.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-dis ... e-may-2017

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:45 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Just ordered the first 10 star trek films on bluray from Amazon for £30.
Bargain.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Legend

http://metv.com/stories/how-mork-from-o ... -star-trek

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Bryan Fuller has vacated the 'showrunner' position on ST:D, citing a schedule that's just too packed to provide the necessary time the show was demanding.
When should we actually start caring about this show? It gets pushed back six months, there's no cast announcements, and now the person that was supposed to be the shows guiding light has departed from that role (he'll still be exec. producing the show, apparently).
I'm hoping it's a good show, but there's actually nothing indicating - at this moment in time - that it will be.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:27 am
Profile WWW

CBS doesn't think Star Trek works for broadcast TV anymore..
Well, this is interesting; place the show on an online streaming service that - right now - not very many people have, and prove the above statement correct, thus vindicating your point of view and making yourself look good, or stop being a dick and put the show on your broadcast network where many more people will see it but ratings expectations will be so much higher that the show will be considered rubbish - no matter how good it may or may not be.
Hmm, tough choice.

Mark

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:28 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I guess it is hard to do sci-fi well on TV. On top of good stories you need to provide impressive visuals which is going to mean a decent budget for special effects/cgi.
None of those challenges go away if you're putting it on a streaming service though, in fact if anything they could be worse given the models employed by Netflix et al, in other words dropping an entire series in one go.
I just hope they don't screw it up.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:41 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
I guess it is hard to do sci-fi well on TV. On top of good stories you need to provide impressive visuals which is going to mean a decent budget for special effects/cgi.
None of those challenges go away if you're putting it on a streaming service though, in fact if anything they could be worse given the models employed by Netflix et al, in other words dropping an entire series in one go.
I just hope they don't screw it up.

It can be done, though. Ronald D Moore proved that you can take an old franchise and totally rework it, and make it relevant to a modern audience. The skill isn”t just getting funky CGI in place, it’s getting your premise, characters, and a story line beaten down. I don’t know how long it took to plan and write BSG, but I expect the extra time they’ve given ST:D means that they realised that they just can’t rush it.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:21 am
What's a life?

Quote:
"futuristic swearing" and even "naked aliens" aren't totally off of the table.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/ ... aming-only

Hmm. OK. :?

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:48 am

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done - BSG is a prime example that it most certainly can be done and despite a thing for truly terrible programming at times SyFy have been doing some good things recently as well (The Expanse is meant to be pretty good).

I guess my main concern here is that CBS seem to be doing this principally not to launch a new chapter in the Star Trek franchise but to push their own online offering. If, to do so, they put in the investment in, not just in terms of studio cost but also in terms of good stories then great. On the other hand, if they've gone "we need something big to get the online service off the ground" and just grabbed a franchise they know will pull in viewers (at least initially) then that's not so good.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:01 am

davrosG5 wrote:
I wasn't saying it couldn't be done - BSG is a prime example that it most certainly can be done and despite a thing for truly terrible programming at times SyFy have been doing some good things recently as well (The Expanse is meant to be pretty good).

The Expanse was good but then it is the TV series of (IMO) a good set of books - the 1st season was only 1/2 of the 1st book

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:06 am

hifidelity2 wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:

The Expanse was good but then it is the TV series of (IMO) a good set of books - the 1st season was only 1/2 of the 1st book

I know it's based on a series of books. Having a good book behind a production however doesn't garuntee a good series (or film) though.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:32 am

davrosG5 wrote:
hifidelity2 wrote:

I know it's based on a series of books. Having a good book behind a production however doesn't garuntee a good series (or film) though.

True but it gives it a better than even chance

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Airdate scrapped yet again.
I really think CBS has no idea how to handle this show.
It has been rushed, pushed back, delayed cast announcements, delayed synopsis, pushed back again, showrunner left …
Quite the disaster on paper.

Mark

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

timark_uk wrote:
Airdate scrapped yet again.
I really think CBS has no idea how to handle this show.
It has been rushed, pushed back, delayed cast announcements, delayed synopsis, pushed back again, showrunner left …
Quite the disaster on paper.

Mark

And that's before they put it where next to nobody will see it...

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next