Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next
Forum Film Reviews & Recommendations 
What's a life?

Logan

Finally watched this. I'm not clued up on the X-men universe - I watched the first three x-men films, XMO:Wolverine, The Wolverine, missed First Class and Apocalypse, watched bits of DOFP, and then watched Logan. So some bits didn't add up for me until I read about the other films but not enough to be distracting. It was a good film but not as outstanding as I'd expected from some of the memes and comments on the internet. I think the whole film was a bit longer than it needed to be, or they could have used the time to recap what had happened.
4/5 at least.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:37 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Logan

Finally watched this. I'm not clued up on the X-men universe - I watched the first three x-men films, XMO:Wolverine, The Wolverine, missed First Class and Apocalypse, watched bits of DOFP, and then watched Logan. So some bits didn't add up for me until I read about the other films but not enough to be distracting. It was a good film but not as outstanding as I'd expected from some of the memes and comments on the internet. I think the whole film was a bit longer than it needed to be, or they could have used the time to recap what had happened.
4/5 at least.

I really struggled with it, tbh. I'd really have to watch it again to catalogue everything I disliked about it, but I wouldn't waste the two hours required. It was definitely too long - but it felt like it dragged on much longer.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:21 pm
Official forum cat lady

Maybe try some of the good films I recommended?

Just saying...

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:56 am

oceanicitl wrote:

Just saying...

I will, when you do. ;)

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 pm
Official forum cat lady

Spreadie wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:

Just saying...

I will, when you do. ;)

How do you know what I've recommended isn't good if you haven't seen them?

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:37 am

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

Milla Jovovich returns for the last time as the billion-dollar grossing franchise reaches the end of the line. With the living population of the world reduced to a few thousand and facing imminent extinction, Alice returns to the Raccoon City Hive to find out whether there really is an antidote to the T-virus.

If you know the Resident Evil series, you will have a pretty good idea of what to expect; but the sixth installment is better than the last few and maybe the best since part one. The pace is frenetic from the start and the FX are impressive, especially the scenes showing a devastated world. The story is tied up reasonably neatly and despite a few too many cliches - the villain is dead…no, wait…he's back - I enjoyed it. So go get that Blu-Ray, pcernie. You know you want to!!

7 out of 10.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:00 pm
What's a life?

Right, so with the crap weather, I caught up on some of the Marvel films I've not seen yet.

Ant-Man
Actually one of the "brighter" MCU films.
pcernie wrote:
...it's probably the most kid-friendly Marvel film yet,...it's basically a comedy.

Completely agree with this - very child-friendly, lighthearted and entertaining.
4/5

Captain America: Civil War
Felt more of an Avengers film than a true Captain America stand-alone film. I loved the first two films and this one doesn't fit into that story arc as well IMO. However, viewed as a non-Captain America film, it's really quite good IMO and I agree with Ernie's comment:
pcernie wrote:
it's a cracking film overall. Good dialogue, action, pacing, the works.

4/5

Thor: Ragnarok
I watched bits of the first Thor film (it was on a plane journey and I was drifting in and out of sleep). I've watched even less of the second film (I think I remember seeing Kat Dennings and that's about it). Similar to Ant-Man, it's much more lighthearted which suits it. There were some good set pieces and scenes but some of it was a bit crap or tedious IMO.
pcernie wrote:
It's the best Thor movie...a strange mixture of Fifth Element, Empire Strikes Back, and Guardians of the Galaxy. And it's as weird as that sounds.

I agree - it's a mix of genres, which has both positives and negatives to it. There were scenes that could have been padded out and others that could have been cut or shortened. I did feel like it was two films meshed together and neither got as fully fleshed out as they could have done.
3.5/5

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 am

davrosG5 wrote:
Paul1965 wrote:
The Emoji Movie

:|

This surely can’t have come as a surprise. :lol:

Only managed 15 minutes of this, and had to turn it off. I did watch some movies on the plane, and will do some write ups, when I get a minute.

Making a list, so I don't forget:
War for the Planet of the Apes
Atomic Blonde
Emoji Movie
Thor: Ranarok

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

Why am I not surprised that you even tried?

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I saw the live action version of Ghost In The Shell last night.
I actually quite enjoyed it.
One for the sci-fi buffs.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:18 am
Profile WWW

oceanicitl wrote:
Why am I not surprised that you even tried?

In fairness, I was on a plane, bored, and having seen a grown man sit through the entire thing on the outward flight, figured it was worth a go. I was wrong. ;)

War for the Planet of the Apes - My best opportunity to watch a Planet of the Apes film, as Lady V is not a fan. Really enjoyed it. Good action scenes, and even the apes were *almost* relate-able, in a strange way.

Atomic Blonde. Another good movie. A bit cliched at times, but a good example of the cold war, eastern european spy fily type genre, and a half decent soundtrack, for people of a certain age. Recommended.

Thor: Ranarok. Quite a bit has been said about this already. Liked it. A good blend of action and humour, and some set-ups for the next movies in the MCU.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:38 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Black Panther

Not sure what to make of this film. Boseman came across quite impressively in Civil War. I think his acting in Black Panther is good. The other characters aren't as compelling. The plot IMO is a bit feeble and I knew what was going to happen well before it did. The whole thing is so CGI-ladenfest that it IMO negatively detracted from the film. The backstory of how Wakanda became so advanced is very briefly touched upon at the start and not really explored, nor how vibranium was manipulated, nor how did such a country become rich and powerful when it had no import/export. Was Wakanda entirely self-sufficient? So many questions and plotholes IMO ruin this movie.

3.5/5

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:18 pm

Ready Player one

Really enjoyed it (And so did SWMBO)
Lots of geeky games references and good sound track

4/5 for what it is and would recommend it to any gamers out there

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:45 am

hifidelity2 wrote:
Ready Player one

Really enjoyed it (And so did SWMBO)
Lots of geeky games references and good sound track

4/5 for what it is and would recommend it to any gamers out there

Agreed. I liked this, as did the daughter. Wife is going to watch it when it comes out on DVD.

Watched Avengers Infinity War. Good film, but not great. It was very predictable, and I haven't read the comics, so I don't know if anyone knows what happens in those, or even if it follows any comic book storyline, but it left me, at least, knowing what is going to happen in the next, and only half caring how they pull it off.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun May 06, 2018 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

So we watched the new Avengers at an Everyman Cinema - something I've never experienced before. It seems a bit more of a cinema for grown-ups. There's a bar. No tickets or ticket stubs. I just showed the email with the details and it was all good. Ordered food from the bar and it gets brought up to you during the trailers. Reasonably comfy sofas (although I did notice food stains on a few of the sofas as I walked by), room to stretch out your legs. Even a little shelf raised above floor height for you to rest your feet on or put used crockery down. However, the sound wasn't as good as a Vue, Cineworld or Odeon cinema. The screen was of sufficient size. Pretty good experience although it was pricey (around £50 for two once you factor in food and drink). There was no obvious way to validate parking, so that cost extra. Still, it might be worth considering for future films.

Avengers: Infinity War
Preface: I've not watched GotG 1 or 2, and haven't yet seen Spiderman: Homecoming (though I already knew what to expect from his appearance in Civil War and in the trailers for Homecoming and Infinity War). I imagine this will influence my review.

So I knew months ago that this was going to be a two-part film. There's no way you can build up to this and then attempt to do it justice in a single film. One of the trailers reminds us it's been 10 years of the MCU. I was generally underwhelmed, mainly because of my expectations. However, if you ignore that for a moment, there's a big bad villain that they try and give a backstory to. For some reason, I just didn't care about Thanos. I wasn't emotionally invested. I think it was either down to the writing or the acting. Or maybe a combination.

Some of the other characters who previously took a backseat in previous movies were more upfront and central, something which I enjoyed. The characters who played a smaller part in this film I imagine will play a much larger role in the next film to balance it out, so everyone's had a good amount of screen time. There were some good interactions and team-ups which I enjoyed. Some of the humour was good. Some of it was inappropriate or rubbish. I didn't care much about the ending, mainly because I know what'll happen and it makes for a weaker point, bearing in mind that the "ending" is essentially the middle of a 5+hour long film.

As I mentioned earlier, I suspect you really needed to have watched all of the MCU films to fully appreciate this film in its entirety. There are characters present not in any of the previous Avengers films.

Score: 4/5 - I'd still rate it as one of the better MCU films and worth watching. (I was originally going to give it 3.5 but then I saw how I scored Thor 3 and Black Panther.

Tue May 08, 2018 7:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next