Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 62  Next
Brexit Britain 
Spends far too much time on here

If you're purely talking about legal requirements, then the entire referendum can be completely ignored, as it's not legally binding. Whilst it might be legally possible to just waltz out, it's likely to queer our pitch with the EU for a long time if we do (not that you seem to care about that of course).

Her point also ignores the fact that there has already been a high court cases that states that we cannot leave the EU without a vote in parliament.

Finally, Britain does have a constitution, it's just not formally codified into a single document like say the USA:

https://www.bl.uk/magna-carta/articles/ ... nstitution

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:22 am
Profile WWW

jonlumb wrote:
If you're purely talking about legal requirements, then the entire referendum can be completely ignored, as it's not legally binding. Whilst it might be legally possible to just waltz out, it's likely to queer our pitch with the EU for a long time if we do (not that you seem to care about that of course).

Her point also ignores the fact that there has already been a high court cases that states that we cannot leave the EU without a vote in parliament.

Finally, Britain does have a constitution, it's just not formally codified into a single document like say the USA:

https://www.bl.uk/magna-carta/articles/ ... nstitution

im fully aware of the 'unwritten' constitution up to and including Magna Carta and the freedoms inherent within. and would use this as a basis and reason for leaving the EU.

i am hoping that at the Supreme court the details within this article are placed before the court.

as of a vote in parliament in regard to A50 this only becomes relevant if A50 is invoked, clearly this is not necessary as we can leave without invoking A50. but i still dont object to a vote.
also please note at the time the referendum was placed before Parliament it was stated 'in' Parliament that the result would be 'binding' and was voted on 6 to 1 in favour of holding the referendum.

as of the EU (not Europe) i have no time whatsoever for ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Last edited by MrStevenRogers on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 am

No, it really wasn't binding in any legal sense of the term. Compare to the AV vote from a few years back which was legally binding.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:18 am
Profile WWW

jonlumb wrote:
No, it really wasn't binding in any legal sense of the term. Compare to the AV vote from a few years back which was legally binding.

two different kettles of fish. please read my reply above. i have placed it in bold and a Supreme court case is in the offing ...

Last edited by MrStevenRogers on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:25 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_ ... 15#The_Act

See the third paragraph. You can even read the complete Act if you'd like, please do tell me where you find the bit that states the result to be legally binding:

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... ments.html

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:29 am
Profile WWW

jonlumb wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Referendum_Act_2015#The_Act

See the third paragraph. You can even read the complete Act if you'd like, please do tell me where you find the bit that states the result to be legally binding:

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... ments.html

Parliament made it binding by voting for a binding referendum 6 to 1 and passing that act to enable the referendum. please read and understand common law.
it was an act of Parliament which enabled the referendum vote which stated the result would be binding.

it can be placed before the courts who have to decide if the contents and execution are right or wrong and within the law but the referendum result is binding ...

Quote:
Parliamentary sovereignty is a principle of the UK constitution. It makes Parliament the supreme legal authority in the UK, which can create or end any law. Generally, the courts cannot overrule its legislation and no Parliament can pass laws that future Parliaments cannot change. Parliamentary sovereignty is the most important part of the UK constitution.

the above is under review by the Courts in regard to the content and administration of invoking A50 which in my view is quite correct to question.

Quote:
Common Law : The body of law based on court decisions, customs and practices rather than on statutes.

this is the part that by an act of Parliament invoking a binding referendum the referendum result can not be over turned ...

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:37 am

Quote:
SCHULZ EXITS: Martin Schulz QUITS EU as he 'makes bid to OUST Angela Merkel in Germany'

i have 3 letters for Germany ... AfD ... wait and watch ...

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:14 pm
What's a life?

After the Brexit vote, there was a lovely Facebook post:

Die Briten haben für Brexit gewählt.
Heute googeln sie die Bedeutung von EU
NACH der Wahl.

Liebe Deutsche, bitte AfD googeln
BEVOR der Wahl!

(The British voted for Brexit.
Today they are googling the meaning of EU -
AFTER the vote.

Dear Germans, please google AfD
BEFORE the vote!)

The AfD is pretty disgusting and bordering on illegal, with some of their "policies".

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:26 pm
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
After the Brexit vote, there was a lovely Facebook post:

Die Briten haben für Brexit gewählt.
Heute googeln sie die Bedeutung von EU
NACH der Wahl.

Liebe Deutsche, bitte AfD googeln
BEVOR der Wahl!

(The British voted for Brexit.
Today they are googling the meaning of EU -
AFTER the vote.

Dear Germans, please google AfD
BEFORE the vote!)

The AfD is pretty disgusting and bordering on illegal, with some of their "policies".

i had every reason to believe you would post. have a nice day big-D but please remember Afd ...

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Some interesting writing from AC Grayling on the subject of the referendum, responding to a letter he received from David Jones MP on behalf of the government:

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/article ... 89695?=kok

(Of interesting note, not even the government thinks the election result was legally binding).

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

MrStevenRogers wrote:
big_D wrote:

i had every reason to believe you would post. have a nice day big-D but please remember Afd ...

Are you trying to intimidate me? I am happy living in Germany. I don't want to leave. :?

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:57 pm
Profile ICQ

jonlumb wrote:
Some interesting writing from AC Grayling on the subject of the referendum, responding to a letter he received from David Jones MP on behalf of the government:

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/article ... 89695?=kok

(Of interesting note, not even the government thinks the election result was legally binding).

we will just have to agree to disagree on this ...

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:23 am

big_D wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:
big_D wrote:

Are you trying to intimidate me? I am happy living in Germany. I don't want to leave. :?

no not at all, far from it, just pointing out it looks like they will be polling well in next elections.

the results from Italy will also prove interesting along with Austria and France ...

Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:24 am

MrStevenRogers wrote:

no not at all, far from it, just pointing out it looks like they will be polling well in next elections.

the results from Italy will also prove interesting along with Austria and France ...

Out of interest, do you think that the likes of Trump winning in the USA, and the possibility of groups like the NF in France and AfD in Germany doing well or winning those elections a good thing?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:55 am
Profile WWW

jonlumb wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:

Out of interest, do you think that the likes of Trump winning in the USA, and the possibility of groups like the NF in France and AfD in Germany doing well or winning those elections a good thing?

in themselves no. but if it destroys the EU that is the way its going to be.

as of President Trump i believe he is the better of two evils ...

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 62  Next