Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Looking for an alternative to ebay? 
Has a life

I started doing some free charity work in an RSPCA shop last month for fun. I have put together a small collection of things im looking to sell for the shop. The old lady's that work there are great fun, but are not always sure what things are worth, and will sometimes sell stuff without realising they could get more for it. We have got some old Elvis albums from the 70's, some toys in boxes that are unopened, 70's & 80's Beano and Dandy annuals and some other bits.

I said I would see if I can sell them online or something. Anybody recommend any sites where we could maybe advertise them other than ebay because iv'e never used ebay and tbh dont want to.

Edit...We got a copy of the Sun newspaper yesterday from the day after Diana married charles back in july 81, and basically the whole paper is about them. One lady in the shop was just going to throw it in the bin, but I reckon collectors may pay a couple of quid fot it...do you?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:32 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

amazon? :shock:

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:48 am
Spends far too much time on here

D@mn, just lost my post. :(

I was saying that you should really look for something international in terms of online sales, the Americans go mad for anything Royal Family and definitely love the Diana stuff and you might be surprised by the response. I don't know of any alternatives, honestly I've always used fleabay and my Dad has a shop there that does remarkably well from the foreign markets.

Have you considered local auction houses? If you pick a big one it can attract collectors from all over the country. Or possibly check where your nearest Antiques Roadshow is going to visit. There is quite a busy collectors market for albums, especially old ones in good condition.

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 am
Has a life

Zippy wrote:
D@mn, just lost my post. :(

I was saying that you should really look for something international in terms of online sales, the Americans go mad for anything Royal Family and definitely love the Diana stuff and you might be surprised by the response. I don't know of any alternatives, honestly I've always used fleabay and my Dad has a shop there that does remarkably well from the foreign markets.

Have you considered local auction houses? If you pick a big one it can attract collectors from all over the country. Or possibly check where your nearest Antiques Roadshow is going to visit. There is quite a busy collectors market for albums, especially old ones in good condition.

Some things I might try there...thanks!!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:06 am

Can I ask why you don't want to use eBay to sell the items?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:07 am
Profile WWW

Some of the guys I have lunch with were talking about auction sites t'other week, the conclusion from the heated debate (it's always a debate with that lot) was that eBay is the most reliable and respectable out of others they have tried. I'll not see them today, but I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow about the other ones...

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Has a life

Blue_Nowhere wrote:
Can I ask why you don't want to use eBay to sell the items?

One of my friends got caught out on there, and it got quite nasty, and I would feel really bad if something went wrong. also I want as much of the money as possible to go to the RSPCA and not ebay/paypal

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 am

Just because one person had a bad experience with eBay doesn't make it an unsafe place to sell, you can even state that the proceeds from the sale will be going 100% to charity and choose the charity, and eBay has the largest market of buyers over the widest area, the obvious choice in my book, just set all the buying restrictions you can.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 am

leeds_manc wrote:
Just because one person had a bad experience with eBay doesn't make it an unsafe place to sell, you can even state that the proceeds from the sale will be going 100% to charity and choose the charity, and eBay has the largest market of buyers over the widest area, the obvious choice in my book, just set all the buying restrictions you can.

As Chris says, there are charity options on eBay, as well as buying restrictions, it's not very often you'll get trouble with a transaction on there, but as millions go through everyday, you're bound to get some that are problematic.

It's probably the most trusted site out there, and you're likely to hit the biggest audience, both nationally and internationally.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Has a life

forquare1 wrote:
Some of the guys I have lunch with were talking about auction sites t'other week, the conclusion from the heated debate (it's always a debate with that lot) was that eBay is the most reliable and respectable out of others they have tried. I'll not see them today, but I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow about the other ones...

cheers!!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 am
Has a life

Blue_Nowhere wrote:
leeds_manc wrote:

As Chris says, there are charity options on eBay, as well as buying restrictions, it's not very often you'll get trouble with a transaction on there, but as millions go through everyday, you're bound to get some that are problematic.

It's probably the most trusted site out there, and you're likely to hit the biggest audience, both nationally and internationally.

Will check out the charity options...thx!!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 am

warriorsq wrote:
forquare1 wrote:

cheers!!

I just wandered over to their office now (otherwise I would have forgotten), then couldn't remember the other two sites they were walking about, but they mentioned eBid and oneway. However, they then started the discussion up again :roll:
The major thing you get with eBay which you don't get with these sites is security. If you use PayPal with eBay then you should be fairly safe money wise, and you don't ship anything until you get the money through PayPal. PayPal is tied to eBay so everything can be monitored safely if anything goes wrong (buyer says they paid, eBay can tell you if they really did or not, etc).
They also said what Blue said, about having a bigger audience...

Ben

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Has a life

forquare1 wrote:
I just wandered over to their office now (otherwise I would have forgotten), then couldn't remember the other two sites they were walking about, but they mentioned eBid and oneway. However, they then started the discussion up again :roll:
The major thing you get with eBay which you don't get with these sites is security. If you use PayPal with eBay then you should be fairly safe money wise, and you don't ship anything until you get the money through PayPal. PayPal is tied to eBay so everything can be monitored safely if anything goes wrong (buyer says they paid, eBay can tell you if they really did or not, etc).
They also said what Blue said, about having a bigger audience...

Ben

thanks again!!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]