Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Ernie needs to click more 
Official forum cat lady

Spotted on last week's popbitch :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
>> Wonderwall <<
Will Guardian go pay-to-play?

Hushed discussions are taking place around the Guardian about whether the execs are finally planning on putting a paywall up around the site.

Usually implementing such a thing would lead to a dramatic drop-off in traffic, but the Guardian needn't worry too much about that.

If what editors have been overheard saying is correct (that as many as 85% of the stories that the Guardian publishes on its site get practically no views at all) they're already well ahead of the curve...

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:21 am
What's a life?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least TBH. Especially if you count (for example) football match reports - the big teams will get a lot of clicks, the little teams very few. Plus the opinion section is frankly a car crash in action - it's either 5000 shouty comments or tumbleweed.

They don't know what they want to be, they don't seem to know who their audience is (half of the paper seems to be left wing, the other half right wing and all that does is piss EVERYBODY off) and their style has become very hectoring and adversarial. They already have a 'friends of the Guardian' thing on their website where you can pay 49 quid a year to stop them nagging you, but frankly I can't see why anyone would pay that, let alone a proper subscription. And their tablet app is god-awful.

I read at the weekend that the total readers of all the UK daily newspapers amount to less than 10% of the population. The Sun, which proudly proclaims itself to be 'Britain's Most Popular Newspaper', is in fact only read by 2.5% of the population. Fundamentally, newspapers are the shambling zombie corpses of 'old media' and need to sod off.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:46 am
Legend

It was obvious just by their homepage they couldn't maintain that level of content indefinitely. Especially while haemorraging money! It's amazing they got this far even with the Trust.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:48 pm
What's a life?

I "read" the Guardian (pro-NHS), Daily Wail (for trolling) and the BBC News websites. None of them are worth paying for. The only things I enjoy reading on the Guardian site are Jay Rayner's restaurant reviews, and Felicity Cloake's "Perfect" recipes.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:13 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Daily Wail (for trolling)

My last account there was curtailed rather abruptly...

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]