Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Forum Game: The over-rated thread 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

So, I was driving home this evening, and was struck with an idea for a thread, inspiration coming from what I consider to be a very over-rated song on the radio, so here are the rules.

We're all entitled to our own opinion, even if you disagree with me, which obviously means you're wrong ;)
Let's keep this light, please, so without further ado, let's being. BTW, I'm putting a blank template at the bottom of this post, so you can copy and paste.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what conversations this thread starts. :)

Most Over-rated
Film: Born on the fourth of July. Depressing crap. Can't believe I paid to watch this drivel.
TV Show: Mr Robot. Stuck with it for 4 or 5 episodes, and couldn't remember any of the character names, except Mr Robot! Couldn't have cared less if they lived or died and that's not a good thing!
Song: George Harrison - My Sweet Lord. Really don't get why everyone seems to love this song. It's relentlessly repetitive, sugar coated tree hugging hippy crap, and the voice in my head started singing Oh Dear God, as in Oh dear God, make this stop!
Album: Pretty much anything by The Beatles, although, in fairness, I fully accept the fact that I'll be in the minority on this one, but I just don't like their music very much.
Band / Singer: Pretty much boy band, although Take That are not anywhere nearly as bad as they were first time round. Many they've improved with age.
Game: FIFA 16, (although this applies equally to any FIFA / PES game from recent years). I love Kick Off. I've never shirked away from shouting it from the rooftops. It's a one stick, one button game that you can pick up and play. Instead of spending an hour learning what the multitude of buttons of FIFA / PES are for. Life is too damn short!

Here are my wife's thoughts
Most Over-rated
Film: Interstellar - Really slow, didn't explain anything. Just... I'll stop now, as she went off on a psychotic rant!
TV Show: Eastenders. She doesn't like this documentary on life in the capital because it's full of unrealistic characters in ridiculous situation.
Song: Robbie Williams - Angels. Because this song just gets better every time you hear some drunk middle aged person singing it on Karaoke night.
Album: Anything by Beyonce. I can't repeat the reasons. OK, I can, but it would involve the word [LIFTED]. A LOT!
Band / Singer: Beyonce or Mariah Carey. Screechy, over-rated divas, who feel that they need to sing the entire scale in every song. And they both look older than us!
Game: Snake. Never liked it, even on the Nokia. Can't see the point. Must say that I do love Retro Bee, which is available on the Google Play Store. I might have put those words into her mouth!

Most Over-rated
Film:
TV Show:
Song:
Album:
Band / Singer:
Game:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

Most Over-rated
Film: Blues Brothers.
TV Show: Red Dwarf or any soap.
Song: There are so many...how about Pride (In the Name of Love).
Album: Any U2 album of your choice.
Band / Singer: Queen or U2.
Game: Haven't got one yet!

Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:10 am
What's a life?

@Paul1965 how could you?!?! Blues Brothers?!?! ;)

Most Over-rated
Film: Anything with Will Farrell in it. We walked out of "the Other Guys" after about half an hour. Complete drivel.
TV Show: I agree with John about Mr Robot, everybody I know raved about it, I couldn't get past episode 5. But for me DSDS or any other talent shop (Deutschland Sucht den Superstar)
Song: Too many to choose from. There is so much drivel coming out at the moment.
Album: I agree with Paul, any U2 album
Band / Singer: U2 (I saw Queen live and live they were truly electrifying - with Freddie Mecury, post Freddie I'd agree)
Game: World of Warcraft - MMORPG for dummies.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:38 am
Profile ICQ
Official forum cat lady

Mr D - I'd carry on with Mr Robot if I were you. I couldn't get in to it properly until later in the series and I'm glad I stayed with it. Just saying...

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:24 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Maybe we should all decide what counts as over-rated? For me it's something that is generally critically acclaimed, but I simply don't understand why. So Mr Robot is a perfect example (although personally I like it), while I don't think soaps or reality shows count because while they might be popular I'm sure the general consensus is that they are crap television.

So having made my definitions here are my choices.

Film: TBH I really can't think of any. I don't watch many films as I prefer TV series where there is more time to develop the character and story line rather than having to cram everything into 90-120 minutes. In the last 25 years the only films I've been to see (or borrowed on DVD) that I haven't liked, the universal consensus is that they were crap.

TV Show: Game Of Thrones - boring over-hyped rubbish. Maybe interesting if you're a 14 year old boy for the nudity. A close run second would be anything with Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer in it - it's simply not funny.

Song: Hallelujah. Say no more.

Band / Singer: Anyone covers Hallelujah, especially anyone who does it because they think it shows what a sensitive and worthy artist they are.

Album: Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. Dull blues-based rock dressed up as something important.

Game: Football. What is so special about 22 people kicking a round ball about for 90 minutes that people and the media have to give over so much time and energy to it?

And let me add one more category:
Book: American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Picked this up as my 3rd book in a 3 for 2 offer many years ago after just about everyone I knew had been raving about it. I really don't get what is so special. Boring....

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

Most Over-rated
Film: Anything with Marvel in the title / Superhero sh1te
TV Show: Mrs Brown's Boys - utter rubbish
Song: Anything by Susan Boyle
Album: Now That's What I Call Music - why are they still going?
Band / Singer: One Direction
Game: Don't play games so can't comment

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:31 am
Legend

This is the sort of thread that requires serious thought lol

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:38 am

Film: The Tree of Life. IIRC critics fell over themselves to lavish praise on this steaming pile of a pretentious turd.
TV Show: This is tricky as obviously there's a lot of TV I haven't seen personally but the general option is that it's overrated garbage. I'm also picky with what I spend my time watching so the chances are if it's known widely to be garbage then I'll avoid it. So I'm going to have to go with Big Bang Theory. I quite like it, it's fairly amusing, but I do think it's overrated. And don't get me started on Penny....
Song: I don't 'do' the Beatles so could put a number of their songs here but I'll go with Hey Jude.
Album: OK Computer. Critical acclaim? Good for Radiohead. I'd rather listen to cats screaming over a background of motorway noise. Although maybe that was one of Radiohead's samples.
Band / Singer: Kanye West. Him being a prick aside I don't get the praise his 'music' gets e.g. Fade - wtf is that. Gets loads of airtime, track of the week, blah blah. It's terrible.
Game: Gone Home. Just mentioning the name almost sends me on a rant of epic proportions. Must.... resist... anger....

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

veato wrote:
Film: The Tree of Life. IIRC critics fell over themselves to lavish praise on this steaming pile of a pretentious turd.

The Tree of Life was abysmal lol

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:51 am

Film: Lost in Translation - tedious garbage
TV Show: The Office. I'm not averse to cringe inducing comedy (hello Peep Show) but this passed me by entirely.
Song: Anything pumped out by the X-factor winner
Album: Meh, I can't think of any album that I actually own that I don't like.
Band / Singer: Dizzee Rascal.
Game: Sid Meir's Beyond Earth - was sooo looking forward to this as the successor to Alpha Centauri and it left me totally cold. The Rising Tide expansion didn't really make it any better either. If Civ 6 turns out to be crap I will be very sad indeed.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:08 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Film: Apocalypto. Only film I've walked out of the cinema.
TV Show: Friends. Jesus what a pile of [LIFTED].
Song: Imagine by John Lennon
Album: Anything by the Beetles
Band / Singer: The Beetles
Game: Angry Birds

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

Film: Taxi Driver. It's a collection of random scenes, nothing more.

TV Show: Mad Men. Dull as [LIFTED].

Song: Someone Like You (?) by Adele. *Gulps bleach* 'DON'T FORGET ME!'

Album: Probably something by Adele.

Band / Singer: Guess who?

Game: Anything from Platinum Games.

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Most Over-rated

Film: The Godfather or possibly Apocalypse Now
TV Show: The Big Bang Theory
Song: Losing my Religion by REM
Album: Nevermind by Nirvana
Band / Singer: Band : REM ... Singer : Kurt Cobain
Game: Candy Crush

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

Yeah, just about anything with Brando in it is overrated.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 am
Spends far too much time on here

Film: Disney's Frozen
TV Show: The West Wing
Song: This Charming Man
Album: Anything by Bob Dylan
Band / Singer: Band : The Smiths
Game: Farmville

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next