Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jer Bulsara RIP 
What's a life?

Who? Well, Jer Bulsara was Freddie Mercury’s mother. She died recently. Here’s Brain May’s tribute.
http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/ ... 6a.html#07

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:34 am
Official forum cat lady

She was 94. Meh.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:45 am

oceanicitl wrote:
She was 94. Meh.
One of the worst comments I've read on here for a long time.
Someone died, if you've nothing positive to say or constructive to add, don't say anything.
Being rude and dismissive achieves nothing.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

So a 94 year old woman none of us have ever met died, and you expect people to do anything other than shrug? Fine, in principle you're right but in reality 94 year old women none of have met die every single day. This 94 year old woman none of us met had a famous son who died years ago who we may or may not have liked as a performer but does that really change much?

Yes, it's sad. But realistically if we were upset every time a 94 year old woman we didn't know died, we'd get nothing done in life at all.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:42 pm

If you don't care, then that's cool, but if you don't care, then why post?
It's not about feeling anything for a dead 94 year old person, it's about making rude and dismissive comments about something or someone you don't appear to care about.
The Internet has enough trolls.

Mark

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

oceanicitl wrote:
She was 94. Meh.

timark_uk wrote:
Someone died, if you've nothing positive to say or constructive to add, don't say anything.

Mark

quite surprised at this comment tbh, ;) :shock: nothing wrong with her comment I believe, im also quite stunned you mention trolls, oceanicitl is certainly not a troll, (not insinuating youre calling her a troll :) ) what her post most likely translates to is something like "well, ok she lived a good age, whatever,"

correct me if im wrong of course ;) "one of the worst comments ive read on here for a long time" :lol: well my posts in the past most probably top that by a long shot with my brashness and speaking my mind mindset, just appears to me as if youre saying "I dont want ANYONE posting their thoughts on here UNLESS I MYSELF agree to it or allow myself not to be offended by it,

in all honesty I think mr timark has taken the comment far too seriously than need be :oops: that ladys death shouldnt be news in my opinion anyway, she was someone famous family, so what who cares, people die everyday and most of them dont get any mention in the news, so just cos she was related to someone famous it somehow makes her "special" :?

silly easily offended mr timark :o :P

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:03 pm

brataccas wrote:
just appears to me as if youre saying "I dont want ANYONE posting their thoughts on here UNLESS I MYSELF agree to it or allow myself not to be offended by it,
Hahaha if this was true there'd be a lot less posts taking place in here.
That made me laugh out loud.

Mark

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 pm
Profile WWW

:P

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:18 pm
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
If you don't care, then that's cool, but if you don't care, then why post?

Err... discussion forum. I could equally ask you, why make a thread on a bulletin board that has nothing particularly to do with Queen or Freddie Mercury about the death of his mother, who was 94 and had no public profile at all? What led you to believe this would be of interest or importance?

If you don't want to deal with the likely reaction, why bring it to people's attention?

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:15 am

jonbwfc wrote:
I could equally ask you, why make a thread on a bulletin board that has nothing particularly to do with Queen or Freddie Mercury about the death of his mother, who was 94 and had no public profile at all? What led you to believe this would be of interest or importance?
Nothing. I didn't create it.

Mark

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

timark_uk wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:
She was 94. Meh.

Mark

You have taken my comment completely the wrong way. She wasn't anyone famous. She had a very long life and died at 94. I lost both of my parents before they got to 75 (4 years ago today for my Mum) so yes I will shrug when something like this is posted. What were we supposed to think?

Thanks everyone else for their comments more or less saying the same thing.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:16 am
Official forum cat lady

This is incredibly sad news and would get a reaction from me especially as my best friend's daughter also died of cancer at 13

Jessica Whelan cancer death: Four-year-old who touched hearts dies

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:28 am

oceanicitl wrote:
timark_uk wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:
She was 94. Meh.

Mark

You have taken my comment completely the wrong way. She wasn't anyone famous. She had a very long life and died at 94. I lost both of my parents before they got to 75 (4 years ago today for my Mum) so yes I will shrug when something like this is posted. What were we supposed to think?

Thanks everyone else for their comments more or less saying the same thing.

OK, so you shrug your shoulders when you hear news like this. Fair enough, they're your shoulders, and what you do with them is your business, but did you actually have to take the time to click reply and type a reply?

She may not have been famous, but consider this... Had it not been for this woman who supported her son, and his lifestyle choices, and this couldn't have been easy in the '60's as an immigrant in a society which was not very tolerant of immigrants or homosexuals, the world may not had one of the greatest rock bands of all times, (in my opinion) so, yes, she may not have been "famous" but shouldn't we just stop for a moment and say thanks and R.I.P?

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:48 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:
She may not have been famous, but consider this... Had it not been for this woman who supported her son, and his lifestyle choices, and this couldn't have been easy in the '60's as an immigrant in a society which was not very tolerant of immigrants or homosexuals, the world may not had one of the greatest rock bands of all times, (in my opinion) so, yes, she may not have been "famous" but shouldn't we just stop for a moment and say thanks and R.I.P?

So we're supposed to stop and pay respects for every blood relative of every famous person whose work we enjoy? Seriously? But if they're not related to a famous person then hey, that's just life I suppose...

Stop this. Stop it now. It's celebrity worship culture gone VERY creepy. She may have hard a hard life, she may have been a wonderful person. We don't know. Why don't we know? Because she was patently a private person. She didn't court fame or notoriety as far as I can see. Somehow after her death that right to privacy is null and void?

No, it is not. Unless you can say different, you never met her, you didn't know her. She didn't give you anything or expect anything from you. Grieving for people you have no relationship at all with is not just pointless, it is (IMO) inappropriate and a little odd.

When Freddie Mercury, or David Bowie, or some other person whose work has given many people pleasure and meant something important in their lives passes on, I can see the deal. Even though the relationship is fairly ethereal, it's possible to feel loss for a person because their body of art may have been part of your own growth as a person. But the late Mrs. Bulsara is simply not in that category. Claiming the fact she gave birth to someone who touched your life somehow gives you some level of connection with her is... weird.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 am

jonbwfc wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

So we're supposed to stop and pay respects for every blood relative of every famous person whose work we enjoy? Seriously? But if they're not related to a famous person then hey, that's just life I suppose...

Stop this. Stop it now. It's celebrity worship culture gone VERY creepy. She may have hard a hard life, she may have been a wonderful person. We don't know. Why don't we know? Because she was patently a private person. She didn't court fame or notoriety as far as I can see. Somehow after her death that right to privacy is null and void?

No, it is not. Unless you can say different, you never met her, you didn't know her. She didn't give you anything or expect anything from you. Grieving for people you have no relationship at all with is not just pointless, it is (IMO) inappropriate and a little odd.

When Freddie Mercury, or David Bowie, or some other person whose work has given many people pleasure and meant something important in their lives passes on, I can see the deal. Even though the relationship is fairly ethereal, it's possible to feel loss for a person because their body of art may have been part of your own growth as a person. But the late Mrs. Bulsara is simply not in that category. Claiming the fact she gave birth to someone who touched your life somehow gives you some level of connection with her is... weird.

I don't recall anybody having said anything about grieving. As far as I'm concerned, it's more a case of "Oh, that's sad news. R.I.P" and then get on with your life, but actually going online and making a simple comment like "meh" makes me just a little sad for humanity. Have we completely lost the ability to give a sh1t? I can't help but worry, when we live in a society that seems totally entranced by a little lizard that managed not to get eaten by a racer snake, ("Life on Earth 2") but, upon hearing that someone who played a part in one of the cultural phenomenons of the 20th century has dies replies with "meh".

I do stand by that statement, by the way. Do we think that Freddie Mercury would have even existed, (remember that Freddie Mercury was a persona - I'm not talking about having been born) without having the support of his mother? A family of refugees, living in Middlesex, (IIRC) in the early 60's, with a son who was struggling with his sexuality? I don't know the Zoroastrian attitude toward these matters, but it can't have been easy and yet she supported her son. Anyway, I'm repeating myself now, so I'll stop.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next