Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
4K TV sets are a con. Aren't they? 
Site Admin

big_D wrote:
It also makes it a pain in the rear to get them out of the packaging. They write, that you shouldn't touch the screen itself, but there is practically no frame, so what are you supposed to get hold of to lift the 20 or so Kg out of the packaging? :evil:

Open box at top, turn box upside down, lift box off TV.

Job done

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

big_D wrote:
It also makes it a pain in the rear to get them out of the packaging. They write, that you shouldn't touch the screen itself, but there is practically no frame, so what are you supposed to get hold of to lift the 20 or so Kg out of the packaging? :evil:

And I bet the instructions telling you not to touch the screen are on a piece of paper you can't get at until you have removed the TV from its box!

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:12 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

saspro wrote:
big_D wrote:

Job done

Smart arse! :lol: :lol:

Now you tell me!

Alternatively, tilt the box, open the bottom and lift it off the TV. No need to turn it upside down. Things are always much clearer with hindsight.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:51 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

saspro wrote:

Job done

That's how I used to unbox HP servers back in the day

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

big_D wrote:
Smart arse! :lol: :lol:

Now you tell me!

Alternatively, tilt the box, open the bottom and lift it off the TV. No need to turn it upside down. Things are always much clearer with hindsight.

Or just lay the box flat on the floor so you're not holding and tilting it while trying to open :roll:

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:28 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I'm still more interested in OLED than 4K.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:10 am
Profile WWW

but if you are getting an OLED then you might as well get a 4K one at the same time

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am
What's a life?

Indeed I would. But I wouldn't replace my existing TV for just 4k. I might replace it for OLED.

Certainly my next laptop will be OLED, even if it's only a 1080 screen. I dread to think what 4k OLED laptops will cost for the next few years.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:44 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I agree. Replacing just for 4K at the moment makes no sense.

We needed a bigger TV (we had a niche that only a 32" fit in, we removed the niche and 32" was just too small. I went with 4K HDR, because it is probably "the next big thing", but I don't need it today. I'm expecting the TV to last another decade.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:21 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
I agree. Replacing just for 4K at the moment makes no sense.

We needed a bigger TV (we had a niche that only a 32" fit in, we removed the niche and 32" was just too small. I went with 4K HDR, because it is probably "the next big thing", but I don't need it today. I'm expecting the TV to last another decade.

Same - "We NEED a bigger TV"

Have a 32" and now we have extended the living room it does look a little small

having said that until the job situation is resolved not making any big purchases at the moment - but then the silver lining is that the new TVs come out in the summer and they will either be an improvement on last (2016) years models or if not then 2016 models will be discounted

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:31 am
What's a life?

Indeed. My current TV is 32" and it's fine. I could go up to about 40", but anything bigger than that would look out of place in my living room.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:53 am
Profile WWW

Well it looks like the job situation is resolved so can think about getting the new TV “we” have been planning

My current front runner is the Samsung 8000 - the 49" should be big enough. (going from a 32")

https://www.whathifi.com/samsung/ue49ks8000/review

And its now down in price to a £1K and if you look around you can get a free 4K Blue-ray player

I was / am tempted by the Sony’s but the Android TV system is still getting a panning and even on the 2017 TVs is said to be a bit sluggish

Can’t quite stretch to the OLED TV’s

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 am
Spends far too much time on here

I know nothing of TVs, but don't put any store by anything printed by What HiFi, it's an utter joke of a magazine (and well known in hifi circles for not keeping a separation between advertising and editorial shall we say).

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:10 am
Profile WWW

Cheers - that TV has also had a good review in a number of other publications (I would not rely on just one review)

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 am
What's a life?

heise Verlag (German magazine publisher with a very good security research arm) has a report, that Tizen (the Samsung OS) has over 40 zero-day critical exploits (including several which allow a hacker to take complete control of the device). It affects all Tizen devices from Samsung, including all smart TVs since 2015.

The report was in the current issue of c't and at the time of writing, there were no patches for Samsung smartphones, smartTVs or watches.

So, I would avoid buying a Samsung until they have patched.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next