Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs 
Legend

Driving test: Learners must be able to use sat navs - BBC News
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39594852

My first thought is... I don't know anyone who owns a sat nav any more :? , plus I've seen companies giving them away as an incentive or selling them for £30!

Secondly, I don't drive, so I'd be curious as to whether those who do think this all makes sense.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:05 am
What's a life?

Sat Nav can be integrated into the car, an external device, like a Garmin or TomTom or it can be a smartphone with Google Maps or a plethora of other navigation software. My car has an integrated system, but I use it maybe once or twice a year.

But I've never had much luck with navigation systems. I'll be driving along, thinking I need to take this junction, but the nav system says carry straight on, until you have actually just passed the junction, then it says, oh, yeah, that was the exit you wanted!

Last time I used it, 3 times it said "turn left in 50M," only to start recalculating after 10M, because I hadn't taken the junction right in front of me, but the displays was still counting down 40M to the turn off! In the end, I turned the bloody thing off and just used my sense of direction!

So, hopefully the test will take that into account and not penalise drivers for following the directions, instead of using their common sense!

Also, if the test is longer, why replace reversing around a corner with driving into a parking spot? Why not have both?

After having lived abroad for a while and having had two daughters take their tests, I think the following should also be introduced:
1) Only driving with a qualified instructor, in a vehicle with dual-controls
2) A minimum number of hours of tuition, before taking the test
3) Compulsory night driving element to the tuition
4) Compulsory motorway driving element to the tuition
5) Compulsory winter (snow/ice) element to the tuition

Here, you can also take your test at 17, but if you do, you have to drive with a named, qualified driver as a front seat (and sober) passenger for the first year. The named driver has to have a clean license. This has cut the accident rate and deaths of drivers under 20 in the last few years.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

I did wonder about the built-in sat navs, but only two people I know have cars that would even come close to having them... and I've never known them to use 'em! Mind you, I spose this is a very small country, so...

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:25 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

FFS, how about we let them learn how to get themselves out of trouble before blind obedience to GPS gets them into it.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:15 pm

big_D wrote:
Also, if the test is longer, why replace reversing around a corner with driving into a parking spot? Why not have both?

After having lived abroad for a while and having had two daughters take their tests, I think the following should also be introduced:
1) Only driving with a qualified instructor, in a vehicle with dual-controls
2) A minimum number of hours of tuition, before taking the test
3) Compulsory night driving element to the tuition
4) Compulsory motorway driving element to the tuition
5) Compulsory winter (snow/ice) element to the tuition

Not sure I agree with number 1 – part of the problem I think is people not doing enough driving – in other words just getting lessons and then passing the test and so are not at ease on the road. When I was learning basically my parents made me do all of the driving even long journeys by not using the motorways so by the time I took my test I did not have to concentrate on the mechanics of driving

2 – 4 I agree with
5 might be hard here in the UK as we have had none in the past 2 years esp down south. This could be replaced with a compulsory skid pan training course so you know how to handle a skid

big_D wrote:
Here, you can also take your test at 17, but if you do, you have to drive with a named, qualified driver as a front seat (and sober) passenger for the first year. The named driver has to have a clean license. This has cut the accident rate and deaths of drivers under 20 in the last few years.

I guess the problem with the 17 year olds having to have a driver is that it would make it harder for them to get a job if there is not much in the way of public transport

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 am
What's a life?

Over here, you cannot drive a car without a driving instructor, until you have passed your test - and I think you have to have 14 hours of classroom and several hours of driving, before you can take your test (normal class B license), including a minimum number night and motorway driving lessons.

You have to complete the classroom training, and pass the theory test, before you can begin with the practical part of the training. This consists of 30 questions, from a base of 522 out of the basic knowledge and 933 questions from extended knowledge. To pass the test, the student has to have less than 10 errors (in total, the 30 questions are worth around 100 points.

In the practical lessons, there is no set minimum, although you need to have, signed off by the instructor, a minimum of 1) a 4 hour motorway lessons, 2) 5 hours cross-country driving lessons and 3) 3 hours of night driving. The instructor needs to assess when the student is ready for these lessons, after they have absolved a number of standard lessons. If the student is very good, they will probably only need a couple of hours of normal lessons, before they can complete the special lessons.

Once the student has completed all of the special lessons and they have been signed off by the instructor, the driving school can register the driver for the test. This is a 45 minute pracrical.

I think the average cost of a licence in Germany is around 2,000€ - 3,000€. Often the godparents, grandparents or other relatives will set up a trustfund for the children when they are born, so that they will have the money for at least the driving test, if not a car.

5. isn't part of the German system, but it is in some Nordic countries. Like you say, the skid pan would be a good alternative. Something I've been saying since before I took my test in the late 80s.

As to hard to get a job, cycling is often the means for students and apprentices to get to university / work, if there isn't regular public transport. Also, if you are doing an apprenticeship, you usually can't afford to run a car and pay for accomodation. Our youngest daughter had a flat about 5 miles from work and rode to work every day on her bike, summer and winter. She was also working shifts, so that was often late at night or early in the morning (06:00, 14:00 and 22:00 start times).

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:04 am
Profile ICQ
Has a life

I had my driving test booked the day I turned 17 and had a full licence two weeks later as I took a cancelled slot.
I have never ever used a sat nav and I doubt I ever will.
If I'm going somewhere new I look at an OS map before I go and remember the area NOT the route as that is likely to change.
I'm one of those fortunate peole who can read a map and visualise the location.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 pm
Officially Mrs saspro

In France I took theory test just before turning 16 ( also did 30hrs of driving lessons). Then I had 2 years of driving accompanied , with a book to record durations. Took test just after turning 18. In France, New drivers have different speed limits for 2 years.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

I didn't learn to drive until I was in my 30s. My parents were quite keen for me to start when I was 17, but that would have meant learning in my Mum's car and I simply didn't trust myself not to damage it while I was getting to grips with driving, the prospect of which was so terrifying that I simply didn't bother.

After that I was never in a financial situation where I could even contemplate driving lessons, never mind afford a car. I only stated having lessons because my girlfriend at the time suggested that it might be good idea. However it took me 2 years of weekly lessons and 3 attempts before I finally passed my test, and even then I still didn't feel in the slightest bit confident about my driving abilities. Since passing my test I have driven less than 10 times and not at all in the last 20 years.

Also I still can't seem to make car ownership make financial sense for me. The last time I seriously looked at owning a motor vehicle was about 6 years ago when a friend offered me theirs at a bargain price, but by the time I had added up the price of the car plus insurance and taxes I was already over what it would cost me for a bus pass for the year and taxi fares for all the extra non-bus journeys I knew I would have to make.

I also think that my more relaxed attitude to life comes from not owning a car. I have seen too many of my work colleagues stressed out to stupid levels caused in part by car troubles and expenses.

I think that part of the problem in the UK at least is that being able to drive is seen as a right and not a privilege. I acknowledge that I am a terrible driver and happy in the knowledge that the roads are a far safer place without me behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I wish more people would feel the same way.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

A lot of that depends on where you live, the level of bus / public transport

I learnt by riding motorcycles – I needed one to get to college (20 miles away and no buses) so when I did my car test I was OK with general driving (had 1 lesson and passed both licences 1st time within a week of each other)

As I lived in the middle of deepest darkest Kent / Sussex I needed my own transport to get to / from work – although this was motorbikes (of increasing size) until my late 20’s when I was given an old banger and then ran both for a time

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:38 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
The should be given a map and asked to work out a route without a satnav

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

I too am glad I can't drive or justify it. I fracture at my laptop doing random [LIFTED] never mind a car breaking down and/or continually needing money thrown at it.

I can actually see less and less reasons to own a car for a lot of people these days (fuel cost, working from home, internet shopping for food and everything else). Though the self-driving electric car might change that.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:41 pm

pcernie wrote:
I can actually see less and less reasons to own a car for a lot of people these days (fuel cost, working from home, internet shopping for food and everything else). Though the self-driving electric car might change that.

I think if you live in a city / built up area then I agree – it would be possible not to have a car where I live BUT it would be a lot more hassle – getting to work each day would take an extra 1 hr for me and about the same for SWMBO v using a car. Also going to see family would be a nightmare and not something I would do as regularly

However I am really looking forward to the whole self-driving car thingy – esp when the law catches up and you can just go out, have a few beers and still get the car to take you home

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:23 am
What's a life?

hifidelity2 wrote:
However I am really looking forward to the whole self-driving car thingy – esp when the law catches up and you can just go out, have a few beers and still get the car to take you home

It's called a taxi! :lol:

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am
Profile ICQ
Has a life

Indeed.
Or a Bus

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next