Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Websites getting pushy about cookies 
What's a life?

Web sites with those GDPR cookie setting options are starting to get pushy about you letting them be set. Basically, accept them or you get no content. For this site. I had done what I always do and select Deny all (or just switch them all off), but got this message when I had finished. I don’t think this is something you can get around by disabling JavaScript either. It looks like a server redirect in operation.

The other thing I am seeing more of is telling me that settings can’t be honoured because I have not got Allow 3rd Party Cookies on.

It will be interesting to see how far this goes.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Yeah, I've spotted a few sites getting rather irritating about cookie settings as well.
In the case you highlight I don't see why they need to be able to personalise the ads - by all means, show ads to fund you site but I don't want them following me about the internet as a consequence of visiting the site.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Have you been to the Radio Times website recently? *sigh*
Sooooo many toggle switches to set to opt-out.
I thought these were supposed to be off by default and the system was opt-in.

Anyway, what I've found works in about 50% of cases - if you don't want to go through the process of opting-out of a billion advertiser sites, try reader view.
This way strips out website advertising and no need to go through the tedious opt-out process.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
Have you been to the Radio Times website recently? *sigh*
Sooooo many toggle switches to set to opt-out.
I thought these were supposed to be off by default and the system was opt-in.

Anyway, what I've found works in about 50% of cases - if you don't want to go through the process of opting-out of a billion advertiser sites, try reader view.
This way strips out website advertising and no need to go through the tedious opt-out process.

Mark

Yes - they should be opt in, but I suspect the advertising platforms are in the USA, and really don't care that much about our laws. They'll care even less when there're aren't 27 other countries backing us up.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm
What's a life?

I tend to use the iPhone a lot to access the internet. I'm now finding messages about cookies and personalised advertisements take up half or more of the screen. It's almost like they've designed it to be annoying that you just accept yes. Some websites state they'll show non-personalised advertisements. Others just deny access to the contents.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:57 am
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I tend to use the iPhone a lot to access the internet. I'm now finding messages about cookies and personalised advertisements take up half or more of the screen. It's almost like they've designed it to be annoying that you just accept yes. Some websites state they'll show non-personalised advertisements. Others just deny access to the contents.

They all block access to content until you’ve set your “preferences”. Do websites really need 18+ tracking cookies installed anyway?

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 am
Doesn't have much of a life

If a website is too pushy about it's cookies and offers no easy way of disabling them, I'll most likely not bother trying to use it.

However if I really want to see what is on it I'll copy the URL and use Firefox which I have solely for situations like this and is set to clear all cookies on quit which is what I'll do after I have finished looking at the parts of the site I am interested in.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Definitely getting worse. Too many options hoping you'll give up and accept all, and then reminders...
I'm seeing it in apps as well. I use WeatherUnderground as my forecast of choice, but am just about to uninstall as every time I open the app I get Peronalized ads off reminders, and location services off reminders.

As mentioned earlier I'm happy for ads if that runs the website, but ffs stop tracking me.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]