Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Anyone here still into football? 
Legend

I only ask because locally I realised I've seen more ice hockey shirts in recent months than football ones.

Made me think, I actually don't know when I last saw someone wearing a football shirt, but see plenty of others for rugby, and local motorcycle teams and riders.

I know there's still a lot of 'noise' around football, but I'm wondering has the divying up of the TV rights at serious fcuking expense to the consumer and the cost of tickets, travelling and merch somewhat removed it from the common people*. I don't know when I last heard someone discussing a match, and former fans I know just don't care any more. And this is only a theory, but that's true of boxing as well now to my mind.

Am I wrong? :?

* It doesn't help that someone worked out that, all-in, it made little difference to the balance sheet if fans attended games; all the money is in the TV and sponsorship rights.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:40 pm
What's a life?

I've never been into sports let alone football. Watching a football match I can understand. Supporting a team with whom you have no connection boggles my mind. Living close enough to Birmingham football grounds, the only time I see football shirts is match time. You've made me realise I've not seen anyone wear a footy top as a casual thing.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:30 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

What little interest I ever had in football was unintentionally wiped out when my best friend's dad took both of us to watch Notts County vs Workington Town on a cold and rainy Saturday afternoon in the late 1960s. This Fourth Division fixture ended in a 0-0 draw and although we were stood on the terraces almost directly behind the goal the majority of the action appear to happen at the other end of the pitch in both halves. I couldn't wait to get back home, dry out and warm up. And that for me was the end of football.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I keep an eye out for the results, but I haven't been to a game in years.

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]