Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
May 5th, or now if you're blessed. 
Doesn't have much of a life

Downloaded it in a last-ditch effort to try and stop hating it. May try out the upgrade from Vista, as I've been meaning to reinstall Vista anyway, so if I still hate it in a week or two I can reformat again!

Wed May 06, 2009 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

i downloaded it yesterday, took 5 hours >.<

things are pretty nice. it auto-detected a lot of my hardware (webcam, LAN, graphics etc) and installed the proper drivers and everything :)

i really do love the new toolbar, especially the way msn and live mail kind of integrate into the interface.

ill spend a few more days transferring programs and suchlike, then i might start using it as primary :shock:

Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 am
Occasionally has a life

Downloaded it, and I may give it a whirl later in the week.

Like so many times before and feeling a bead of sweat form on his sun-beaten brow, the dog launched himself upwards, jaws open, full of expectation edged with uncertainty, to retrieve the flying disc from it's azimuth; no dog had done this before.

Wed May 06, 2009 10:41 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I've downloaded it OK, despite my broadband being flakier than a packet of extra flaky cornflakes with a flake in.

Although I've managed to waste two hours on here already today, I actually have far much to do. I'll probably do a rebuild on Sunday. Right now I have to shovel some brown stuff onto the melon patch, which involves me not sitting here typing...

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Wed May 06, 2009 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

I like the new wallpapers, the cartoon ones. Pretty sure they were not there in the Beta.

Only thing I am not so sure about it, unlike Vista where you could shut the lid of your lappy and it would sleep, then wake right up again, as long as the lid behaviour settings were all set to 'sleep', on Win 7 it appears to sleep for a bit then hibernate, and when it does resume its a longish process to get going again, although the battery life doing this is much better. Also I have it set the way I did in Vista with everything on 'Sleep'.

Wed May 06, 2009 1:24 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

If I were to install it, would my programs that work on Vista 64bit work on W7? What about drivers? Do I need special W7 ones or Vista's drivers will do?

Wed May 06, 2009 3:57 pm

koli wrote:
If I were to install it, would my programs that work on Vista 64bit work on W7? What about drivers? Do I need special W7 ones or Vista's drivers will do?

just about all vista progs and drivers will work with win7, but if you can get hold of win7-targeted ones, then no doubt they will be faster/better optimised etc

Wed May 06, 2009 4:08 pm
What's a life?

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001675.html

A 'flaw' in the security model still persists, apparently. Wouldn't an up-to-date AV catch a nasty like this though? :?

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed May 06, 2009 7:19 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001675.html

A 'flaw' in the security model still persists, apparently. Wouldn't an up-to-date AV catch a nasty like this though? :?

i have that 'feature' switched off, purely because i like to know what im clicking on, rather than go by small, pixellated icons.

i would expect any PC enthusiast worth their salt to have done similar :?

EDIT: for those not in the know, this is done by organise > layout > tick 'menu bar'. in the new menu that just appeared, tools > folder options > view > untick "hide extensions for known file types"

you hide re-hide the menu bar by going organise > layout > untick 'menu bar' if you find it unsightly

HTH

Last edited by soddit112 on Wed May 06, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 pm
What's a life?

Same here. The first thing I do with any installation is turn the extensions on. I never use an icon view mode, I always use Detail view and I want to know what I'm working with...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed May 06, 2009 7:30 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2