Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
I am now sick of Bing 
Doesn't have much of a life

I have used Bing as my default search engine for about a month. I have come to the conclusion that compared to Google it comes a distant second.

Tonight I wanted to know more about the Skepchic Calendar but in my haste miss-spelled calendar as calandar. As a result no hits.

Same search in Google gives 5440 hits and a suggestion as to how to really spell calendar.

No contest.

Google FTW

CC

Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:44 pm

I have one thing to say to you.

Told you so. :)

Kimmotalk is where all the cool people hang.

Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:00 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Google > The rest of the Earth. 8-)

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Google invented the Internets.

Seriously. I remember the days BG, and even if you knew the information was there it was still out of reach. I'm trying to remember which search engine I was using, but I can't!

*goes to Google deceased search engines*

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:16 am
Profile WWW

I used to use Lycos, I think, and Excite.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 am

I used "alltheweb" and AltaVista back in the BG days.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:39 am

ChurchCat wrote:
Tonight I wanted to know more about the Skepchic Calendar but in my haste miss-spelled calendar as calandar. As a result no hits.

Same search in Google gives 5440 hits and a suggestion as to how to really spell calendar.

But Google also pi55e5 me off, suggesting that I don't know what I want.

I have been desperately searching for reference material for an essay and one of the things I wanted to find was information on the impact of ineffective mentorship.

So I put "ineffective mentoring" into Google and it says-

"Did you mean effective mentorship?"

NO. I [LIFTED] Didn't. I know what I [LIFTED] want to [LIFTED] search for you [LIFTED] smart [LIFTED] search engine. :x

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:23 am
What's a life?

JJW009 wrote:
Google invented the Internets.

Seriously. I remember the days BG, and even if you knew the information was there it was still out of reach. I'm trying to remember which search engine I was using, but I can't!

*goes to Google deceased search engines*

I used Altavista, Yahoo, Lycos, Webcrawler and Ask Jeeves.
These days... guess...

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:47 am

Come to think of it, I actually relied quite heavily on a printed publication. I can't remember what it was called either, but it had cool links in and it was A5 on cheap paper and quite hard to find :(

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:19 am
Profile WWW

ChurchCat wrote:
I have used Bing as my default search engine for about a month. I have come to the conclusion that compared to Google it comes a distant second.

No contest.

Google FTW

CC

I only get 48 hits on google.. whos stolen the other 5402 hits? Or am i doing something wrong :?:

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:14 am
What's a life?

I used Alta Vista, to be honest, the results it used to give were more reliable than Google.

Google's biggest problem today is that when you are looking INFORMATION on a product, they assume the only relevant information is the price! :roll:

I tried to get some info on the exact specifications of an HP notebook, the first 4 or 5 sides on Google only listed price comparison sites and retail sites, which contained a brief overview of the machine (Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD), but not which graphics processor, how many USB ports, whether it had a docking station available etc.

I tried Bing as well, that wasn't any more helpful. In the end I went to Yahoo! and it gave me about a dozen really good in-depth reviews of the machine!

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:35 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
big_D wrote:
Google's biggest problem today is that when you are looking INFORMATION on a product, they assume the only relevant information is the price! :roll:
Now you mention it, I've noticed I've had that problem while researching snowboards. However, in general, I still find Google to be the best overall.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

l3v1ck wrote:
Now you mention it, I've noticed I've had that problem while researching snowboards. However, in general, I still find Google to be the best overall.

I've found researching snowboards on the web very hard myself. The best way is to go to a shop. I'm very lucky in having a good local shop who really know their onions and also let you try out their boards and bindings on a local dry slope once a week.

A Mac User.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
tombolt wrote:
I've found researching snowboards on the web very hard myself. The best way is to go to a shop. I'm very lucky in having a good local shop who really know their onions and also let you try out their boards and bindings on a local dry slope once a week.
I've got a 45 minute drive to my "local" indoor slope. Unfortunately the shop there doesn't have the board I'm looking at. They do have test nights, but only every month or two. I'm heading down there again in just over a fortnight.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

I agree with Dave. Alta Vista was where it was it back in the 90s and very early 00s. It was rapid, gave great results and far better to use than Yahoo, Lycos and all the other nonsense. It even got quoted by Mike Skinner in a Streets record :)

Google's good, but since it became the Walkman/Xerox/Sellotape of search engines it's become a little complacent in my book. Now they're all about making loads of money and acquisitions. Damn capitalism.

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next