Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
hobbies 
Occasionally has a life

What do you all get up to in your spare time when not posting here.
Myself do a bit of benching, gardening weather permitting and my new favourite "crashing" rc helicopters.
So just wondering what the rest of you get up to.

Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I do a lot of reading, cooking, petit point, watching DVDs, gardening (when I have a garden,) photography, puzzles & fish wrestling. A bit less seriously I sing, do weaving, spinning, knitting, jam making, baking, woodwork, trollen braiding, camping & bushcrafting.

Oh, I also like Ice Hockey 8-)

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Mon May 11, 2009 6:50 pm
Occasionally has a life

Fishing, or to be more precise fly fishing. It's something I've done since a child. Every weekend my father, brother and I would walk the 4 miles (we never had a car) to our local lake and fish from dawn till dusk. I tried a bit of competition fishing for a while, even managed to get into the Welsh international team for a time. One day we were in a comp (home countries) at a reservoir in Usk. We were under a bit of pressure as the Irish team were battering us, that's when I thought to myself "what the hell am I doing here?" It was about as far removed from how I used to feel on those Sundays with my dad and my brother as it was possible to get. I never fished another comp after that.

Now I just go for the love of it. :)

Mon May 11, 2009 6:59 pm
Occasionally has a life

A mate of mine used to be a competitive angler coarse fishing tho, he used to say the Irish anglers where so good because the fish knew they where not going back in the river but into a pan. hence they are harder to catch.

Mon May 11, 2009 7:04 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Hobbies? I've got a wife and three kids. I don't have time for hobbies :roll:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm
Profile WWW

Photography, drawing/painting (not as much as I'd like to or should), making models, reading.

Two of those I share with Best Beloved; the others are for when I need to get away for a bit.

Mon May 11, 2009 7:12 pm
Occasionally has a life

John_Vella wrote:
Hobbies? I've got a wife and three kids. I don't have time for hobbies :roll:

:lol: . I know what you mean sometimes Jon. I suppose I'm lucky that way, my eldest has just started coming with me fishing (he's 6) and his younger brother will be joining us one day. When we're out, it's just like old times with my dad, only a new facet.

Mon May 11, 2009 7:12 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I spend a lot of time looking at boobies on t'internet. Mmmmm Mammaries :oops:

Other than that, I love to cook and eat. And drink.

I used to read books a lot when I was a kid, but now I pretty much restrict myself to comics. Sorry, I mean "graphic novels and manga". I also watch quite a lot of Annie May. Probably about 3 hours a week.

I'm an electronics nut too, but these days I never seem to finish anything. Back when I was 8 - 13 years old I had no computer, so I used to spend all my days bread-boarding daft ideas and electrocuting myself. Actually, when I was 13 I spent most of my time reading my Dad's copies of "Practical Photography" looking for pictures of breasts...

I also love photography, but I suck at it. Even when I spend a whole day trying to perfect the concept, location, lighting, exposure and framing before I process it with the Gimp I still fail. My SLR is 30 years old and has seen 100s of rolls of film. I think I took about 2 decent pictures out of the whole lot. Even the one set I took with a gorgeous model was total fail :cry:

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

JJW009 wrote:
Even the one set I took with a gorgeous model was total fail :cry:

Best get a tripod, will not matter how you shake then. ;)

Mon May 11, 2009 7:33 pm
Occasionally has a life

I play snooker once or twice a week, I go to the cinema at every opportunity I get, or watching blu-ray's on the home cinema (well the living room) my current hobby is designing a VAWT (vertical axis wind turbine) that will power either lights in the garden or wire it into the living room to power the living room lamps.

Mon May 11, 2009 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

I play tennis and badminton at every opportunity I get.

Depends if it’s an air brick or not, I suppose.

Mon May 11, 2009 7:40 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Danstevens wrote:

I have a very fond memory of watching a friend of mine who was a diehard badminton player have a go at a game of tennis. Within about 15 minutes he had absolutely destroyed the racket he had borrowed.

Mon May 11, 2009 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

jonlumb wrote:
Danstevens wrote:

I have a very fond memory of watching a friend of mine who was a diehard badminton player have a go at a game of tennis. Within about 15 minutes he had absolutely destroyed the racket he had borrowed.

:lol:

I started both at quite a young age so I'm not bad at either. I however do know someone who's incredibly good at badminton and couldn't play tennis to save his life - he despises the sport.

I'm surprised he managed to destroy the tennis racket - they're much harder to wreck than badminton rackets, often taking more than one attempt to make the subside fully. There's a good Youtube video of someone teaching you how to destroy a racket like a pro lol. I can't say I am a fan "doing a McEnroe" whether it's me or someone else doing it. As much as possible, I try to remain controlled and not destroy rackets or anything.

Depends if it’s an air brick or not, I suppose.

Mon May 11, 2009 7:54 pm
Occasionally has a life

spare... time... spaaaaaaaare.... tiiiiime... nope... does not compute... what is 'spare time'?

Mon May 11, 2009 8:08 pm
What's a life?

fakesnake wrote:
Myself do a bit of benching

What's benching?

I do photography, used to climb weekly but haven't be able to since we moved. Uhm... watch movies n stuff? Go to the gym?

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Mon May 11, 2009 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next