Reply to topic  [ 2233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 149  Next
The Response to FPOTD thread 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Well good luck

- Security v extra money that is the question

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Thu May 19, 2016 11:02 am

jonbwfc wrote:
Spreadie wrote:
Nope. I had my meeting yesterday afternoon and that was it.

wow, that's pretty cold. Usually it's 'you're being made redundant on <date a period into the future>', but that date really shouldn't be 'tomorrow'.

It's always been that way for managers at my company. Institutional paranoia that we'll steal all the corporate secrets and customers, so you're paid in lieu of notice and you leave immediately.

Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Spreadie wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:
Spreadie wrote:
Nope. I had my meeting yesterday afternoon and that was it.

wow, that's pretty cold. Usually it's 'you're being made redundant on <date a period into the future>', but that date really shouldn't be 'tomorrow'.

It's always been that way for managers at my company. Institutional paranoia that we'll steal all the corporate secrets and customers, so you're paid in lieu of notice and you leave immediately.

Well, I suppose that has some benefits - makes looking for another job less of a hassle.

Out of curiosity, how many people have they let go? There are, after all, rules that must be observed above certain thresholds.

Thu May 19, 2016 1:15 pm
Has a life

Worse happened to me in the past.
I was called in by my manager on the Monday and told that as a result of my recent appraisal I was getting a raise and upgrading.
On Tuesday when I arrived for work I was told to join the people in the multi-story car park across the road. Those people were never allowed back in the premises and were laid off.

That is not the only time similar has happened , though the other story is a little different.

Thu May 19, 2016 3:21 pm
Legend

Burn_IT wrote:
Worse happened to me in the past.
I was called in by my manager on the Monday and told that as a result of my recent appraisal I was getting a raise and upgrading.
On Tuesday when I arrived for work I was told to join the people in the multi-story car park across the road. Those people were never allowed back in the premises and were laid off.

That is not the only time similar has happened , though the other story is a little different.

Welcome to X404 :D

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu May 19, 2016 7:31 pm
Officially Mrs saspro

Spreadie wrote:
TheFrenchun wrote:
Morning, I've been out today and the brexiters campaigning are scaring me big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you amp up your accent just to mess with their heads? :D

They didn't dare try to talk to me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun May 22, 2016 3:30 pm
Profile WWW

jonbwfc wrote:
Houe was broken into last night :(. I was asleep upstairs, they were clever enough not to make any noise loud enough to wake me. Several things were stolen, most irritatingly my spare car key fob. Luckily they didn't decide to steal the car but did get in and steal everything from glove compartment etc. However as keys as now 'in the wind', I've had to leave the car in a remote secure location and thus until I can get the security system updated and the locks changed I can't use it. which isn't going to happen until next week due to the bank holiday weekend.

Bugger.

On the plus side, at least they didn't actually steal your car although the rest sucks.
Police been any use or have the just issued a crime number and left it at that?

Thu May 26, 2016 2:59 pm
What's a life?

Feel gutted for you. Horrible thing to experience. As above, great they didn't get car but doesn't mean it was okay.

Any idea how they broke in?

Thu May 26, 2016 3:31 pm
Legend

Always wanted to get my hands on people like that :evil:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu May 26, 2016 3:58 pm
What's a life?

Well I'm kind of glad they were in and out without me bumping into them to be honest.

There's no sign of forced entry. I have a front door that doesn't have a Yale lock (it's one of those UPVC ones) and I suspect I either didn't lock it or they somehow 'sprang' it - I can't tell if it was locked or not as they also got the spare front door key so they could just unlock the door on their way out. have already had the door locks changed. Policeman said it doesn't actually matter anyway - it was still unauthorised entry so the case and claim is identical.

He was a decent enough sort, took detailed notes of what was missing and has been very diligent as far as I can see (already had a couple of emails from him with some extra questions) but he and the SOC officer I spoke to on the phone said the same thing - there's most likely virtually no forensic evidence to be found. They almost certainly wore gloves and etc. so unless I find a trace of blood or something there's nothing there to identify the perp(s). They think there's a decent chance of getting some of the stuff back; they have serial numbers for the laptop and iPad and the archery gear is quite distinctive so if any of it shows up in local cash collectors etc. it should get spotted but realistically the only way they'll catch anyone is if they do find some of my stuff in a pawn shop and that pawn shop has a decent CCTV system so they can ID who's selling my stuff.

TBH if they catch the guy who did it great but I'm not losing any sleep over it. Life's too short to fuss over things you can't control or influence. And equally the stuff that's missing is just 'stuff', it can be replaced. They didn't get anything of great sentimental value. It's more the hassle and stress of dealing with it all that's bothering me.

Thu May 26, 2016 5:29 pm
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:
Afternoon all,
Got my early Father's Day present today... PS4! Woohoo!
Now to look for bedroom furniture. I knew there would be a catch! :lol:
Have a great rest of the day, everyone.
:)

Heh, there's a price to every pleasure :). 'scuse me if I'm going to tell you anything obvious, I don't know what you do/don't like or what you're already aware of.

Firstly, I recommend getting a Playstation Plus subscription, 40 quid a year and you get three or four games given out at no extra cost each month, which you can play for as long as you keep your sub running. You'll need the PS+ sub if you're going to play online multiplayer anyway so you might as well.

If you're into online shooting the recently released 'Overwatch' is very good, or there's the usual CoD and Battlefield ('Star Wars Battlefield' is actually a bit crap though). 'Ratchet & Clank' is a great platformer/shooter/adventure game and quite kid friendly, but also fun for adults. 'Tearaway Unfolded' is also a platformer and is the only game that genuinely made me feel emotional when I finished it so far on PS4. Looking a bit further back you should consider 'Assassin's Creed : Syndicate' and pick one of 'The Division' or 'Destiny' to play if you're interested in a long term MMO/grindey style of game. The digital store has a wide range of small/indie style titles as well - I can recommend Transistor and Banner Saga but there's a very large range out there. Also 'Life Is Strange' if you want something that's almost entirely not 'video gamey'. 'Rocket League' is both bonkers and brilliant. 'Volume' is a fab stealth puzzler. 'The Witness' is pretty and will do your head in in a good way. 'Witcher 3' is a massive european style RPG which has won most of the 'game of the year' awards for last year.'Firewatch' and 'Everyone's Gone To The Rapture' are both interesting 'interactive story' style games. 'Driveclub' is a pretty amazing looking racer at the arcade end, whereas 'Project CARS' is more towards the sim end. Finally 'Don't Starve' is a fab 'survive as long as you can while building stuff' game, a bit like Minecraft but not as in depth.

Also, make sure you download the remote play app for your PC, that way you can carry on playing while She Who Must Be Obeyed is using the TV :).

Mon May 30, 2016 1:56 pm

jonbwfc wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
Afternoon all,
Got my early Father's Day present today... PS4! Woohoo!
Now to look for bedroom furniture. I knew there would be a catch! :lol:
Have a great rest of the day, everyone.
:)

Heh, there's a price to every pleasure :). 'scuse me if I'm going to tell you anything obvious, I don't know what you do/don't like or what you're already aware of.

Firstly, I recommend getting a Playstation Plus subscription, 40 quid a year and you get three or four games given out at no extra cost each month, which you can play for as long as you keep your sub running. You'll need the PS+ sub if you're going to play online multiplayer anyway so you might as well.

If you're into online shooting the recently released 'Overwatch' is very good, or there's the usual CoD and Battlefield ('Star Wars Battlefield' is actually a bit crap though). 'Ratchet & Clank' is a great platformer/shooter/adventure game and quite kid friendly, but also fun for adults. 'Tearaway Unfolded' is also a platformer and is the only game that genuinely made me feel emotional when I finished it so far on PS4. Looking a bit further back you should consider 'Assassin's Creed : Syndicate' and pick one of 'The Division' or 'Destiny' to play if you're interested in a long term MMO/grindey style of game. The digital store has a wide range of small/indie style titles as well - I can recommend Transistor and Banner Saga but there's a very large range out there. Also 'Life Is Strange' if you want something that's almost entirely not 'video gamey'. 'Rocket League' is both bonkers and brilliant. 'Volume' is a fab stealth puzzler. 'The Witness' is pretty and will do your head in in a good way. 'Witcher 3' is a massive european style RPG which has won most of the 'game of the year' awards for last year.'Firewatch' and 'Everyone's Gone To The Rapture' are both interesting 'interactive story' style games. 'Driveclub' is a pretty amazing looking racer at the arcade end, whereas 'Project CARS' is more towards the sim end. Finally 'Don't Starve' is a fab 'survive as long as you can while building stuff' game, a bit like Minecraft but not as in depth.

Also, make sure you download the remote play app for your PC, that way you can carry on playing while She Who Must Be Obeyed is using the TV :).

Before I reply to this, thanks, ernie, for the link in the PM. :D

Jon, thanks to you also. I will look at the PP sub at some stage. I've already got Star Wars battlefront for the PC, so won't be getting that. I got the one which included Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank, (although the latter is not in stock, but we should get it shortly). I actually got this to play Kick Off revival, which is due out on June 17th, and I'm not really looking at any other games at the moment. If I do, they'll be in the bargain basement bin for now!

I do have the remote play app, but TV won't be an issue, as my 4K monitor has a HDMI input, and that's what it's going to be hooked up to, once I get the console out of the daughter's room.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon May 30, 2016 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

saspro wrote:
Morning all.
Not sure why customers set the IT budget for a project without actually asking IT what it'll cost in the first place. Idiots.

Cos they are the customer and the customer always knows what's best :roll: Only just working that out Simon? :lol:

Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:37 am
Profile WWW

AlunD wrote:
saspro wrote:
Morning all.
Not sure why customers set the IT budget for a project without actually asking IT what it'll cost in the first place. Idiots.

Cos they are the customer and the customer always knows what's best :roll: Only just working that out Simon? :lol:

They are taking their cues from the government?

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 am
Official forum cat lady

Probably one of the best first posts ever and something I say to myself every day

rustybucket wrote:
Grrr

So many retards, not enough ammo

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 2233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 149  Next