Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Transferring iPhone data between phones 
Official forum cat lady

Greetings campers. LTNS.

I've had an unusual request this morning to transfer data from an old iPhone to a new one without using iCloud. He also needs to transfer his whatsapp messages without using iCloud. His estranged daughter, who still lives with his ex wife, is on the same account and he doesn't want her seeing his photos or messages. He's not logged on to it on his phone at the moment so nothing is being backed up.

It's currently not an option for his daughter to use another account and he doesn't want to create a new ID.

I've looked online and the recommendation is to use iTunes or a 3rd party app but I'm not 100% convinced. Has anyone got experience of this and if so how did it go? He's the COO so I need to get this right.

Thanks

Carolyn

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu May 30, 2019 2:23 pm
What's a life?

IIRC I backed up my iphone to itunes, wiped the phone (and sold it to the store), bought new phone and restored from itunes back up. Includes whatsapp.

Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I would have thought back up to iTunes etc as cloaked_wolf said.
I'm a bit confused about the not wanting to set up another account though - unless he's going to recover the existing account from his daughter he's kind of stuffed in the long term isn't he?

Fri May 31, 2019 3:45 pm
What's a life?

iTunes is certainly the way I used to do it with our work iPhones, but I haven't had an iPhone to play with in a couple of years.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:11 am
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

iTunes is definitely the way to avoid iCloud, but you have to change the default backup method to “To this Computer” and tick the encrypt backups option so it will also back up any saved passwords and other secure data (Health, etc). If you don’t click the Encrypt Backups option, the saved passwords are excluded. With the encrypt backup option you have to set a password for the backup, obviously pick a suitably secure password that can’t be guessed by daughter! Make sure the password isn’t saved on the computer and then no one can see the files in the backup without entering a password.

Remember to sign out of Find My iPhone, iCloud and App Store on the old iPhone after backing up to iTunes and before wiping it.

Then obviously connect the new iPhone and use the last backup to restore it from.

* Witty statement goes here *

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:49 pm
What's a life?

A do it today, it looks like iTunes might be laid to rest.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 am
Profile ICQ
Official forum cat lady

I've spoken to him and had already suggested iTunes but he's concerned about losing whatsapp messages.

I think the main reason he doesn't want to create a new accoutn is due to the historical data.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:08 am
What's a life?

I am almost certain whatsapp gets backed up to iTunes.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 am
What's a life?

I also seem to remember that you can save your WhatsApp data or transfer it to a new phone on Android, without it going in Google's cloud. But I'm a bit hazy about how that works, as we had to get rid of it over here, because it doesn't conform to GDPR, so it is banned by most businesses these days.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:16 am
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

oceanicitl wrote:
I've spoken to him and had already suggested iTunes but he's concerned about losing whatsapp messages.

I think the main reason he doesn't want to create a new accoutn is due to the historical data.

As long as you tick the option to encrypt the local backup in iTunes then everything gets backed up - which should include WhatsApp data too. I did this when my iPhone went into Apple for a new battery, backed up with encryption, erased the iPhone then restored again afterwards using the encrypted iTunes backup - everything just worked as before, just select the latest backup when restoring to the new iPhone.

It will be interesting to see how the recent announcement to kill off iTunes in the next macOS affects the ability to create a local backup to your computer. Guess Apple will want everyone to use iCloud exclusively after iTunes is dead?

* Witty statement goes here *

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:20 pm
What's a life?

steve74 wrote:
Guess Apple will want everyone to use iCloud exclusively after iTunes is dead?

Annoyingly, they give only 2GB free iCloud storage. Nowhere enough to back up a phone, unless you pony up and pay for more storage. Which might be the aim. But I did read somewhere else that iTunes for Windows would be unaffected.

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]