Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Mac + Blu-ray? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Hi all,

I've been given a Blu-ray film, but can't watch it...Are there any USB/firewire blu-ray drives out there? And will my first generation MacBook running 10.5 with updates be able to read it?

Thanks,

Ben

Fri May 01, 2009 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

forquare1 wrote:
Hi all,

I've been given a Blu-ray film, but can't watch it...Are there any USB/firewire blu-ray drives out there? And will my first generation MacBook running 10.5 with updates be able to read it?

Thanks,

Ben

Sounds like you have a "bag of hurt" there.

;)

Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

ChurchCat wrote:
forquare1 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

Ben

Sounds like you have a "bag of hurt" there.

;)

*Is confused*

Erm, sorry CC, I don't get your meaning...

Fri May 01, 2009 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

It's a Steve Jobs reference.

I do believe there are BluRay players out there that will talk to your Mac, but I haven't a clue about the video playback aspect.
I'd find a friendly PS3.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Fri May 01, 2009 1:55 pm

ProfessorF wrote:

I do believe there are BluRay players out there that will talk to your Mac, but I haven't a clue about the video playback aspect.
I'd find a friendly PS3.

Ahhh...My house mate has a PS3, but I was really more interested in ripping the disk to my server for streaming...Which might be more of a headache than playback...Hopefully Blu-ray for OS X will come along at some point...There's no hurry :)

Fri May 01, 2009 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

forquare1 wrote:
ProfessorF wrote:

I'd find a friendly PS3.

Ahhh...My house mate has a PS3, but I was really more interested in ripping the disk to my server for streaming...Which might be more of a headache than playback...Hopefully Blu-ray for OS X will come along at some point...There's no hurry :)

IIRC there are drives you could get but they cost almost as much as a PS3. Also, there is nothing in the Mac OS that will decode the stream to play it yet let alone rip it to say an MP4 file. Apparently there are some BluRay related API calls in Snow Leopard, so things could change soon.

Jon

Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for the explanation Jon :)

Fri May 01, 2009 6:10 pm
Profile WWW

Steve Jobs said…

Quote:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

Fri May 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Ahhh,cheers CC.

I hate disks...They get damaged too easily...I remember my brother and sister when they were younger would throw tapes around if they were having a tantrum, nothing came of it...All they needs to do now is step on a disk in a certain way and *snap* it's gone...

Fri May 01, 2009 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Shame HD-DVD died, I picked up an (albeit IDE) Toshiba HD-DVD drive from Overclockers for £24 and I enjoy watching the 2 films I have in the format.

Fri May 01, 2009 7:55 pm
Site Admin

monkeyphonix wrote:
Shame HD-DVD died, I picked up an (albeit IDE) Toshiba HD-DVD drive from Overclockers for £24 and I enjoy watching the 2 films I have in the format.

Check out HMV sales. You can get films for £3.

ChurchCat wrote:
Steve Jobs said…

Quote:
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

Shouldn't that say "Blu-ray means we'd have to pay licensing and that means we couldn't make as much money"

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Fri May 01, 2009 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

saspro wrote:
monkeyphonix wrote:

Check out HMV sales. You can get films for £3.

ChurchCat wrote:
Steve Jobs said…

Quote:

Shouldn't that say "Blu-ray means we'd have to pay licensing and that means we couldn't make as much money"

That is where I got one of them from, Shooter it was £5. It was in a plastic tote bin shoved under the normal shelves I saw it and crawled undo and pulled it out only to find various HD-DVD's on offer. WHy it was hidden I don't know. Maybe the manager thought anyone tripping over it and ringing Claims Direct would be a 'bag of hurt'.

Fri May 01, 2009 8:13 pm

saspro wrote:

To be honest I don't know saspro.

It is well known that Apple work on larger margins than most of the industry. Also though they like to be in control and we don't know what arm-lock Sony were trying to put Apple in.

Sat May 02, 2009 9:14 am
Occasionally has a life

Blu-Ray support is not too far off (maybe), Blu-Ray is mentioned in my "About iTunes" option in 8.2

Wed May 06, 2009 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]