Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
A "My Computer" Alternative 
What's a life?

In the Old Place, I asked if there was a way to have something similar to “My Computer” on my Mac. That is a way to open a folder with all mounted volumes displayed. Given that this will change, this folder should be dynamic. I could not find a way to do it, and despite a few helpful suggestions, I presued it no further.

Until this weekend, when I was setting up my new internal HD. I found a folder: /Volumes/ which is hidden, but does exactly that.

1 - In Finder use the Go>Go To Folder... option

2 - Type in /Volumes/

3 - OK

4 >> The volumes window opens

5 - Drag alias of folder to Desktop/Dock (Dock is good - you get a fan or grid of volumes when you click)

Job done. :D

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 am

I trawled my hard drive with a plan to trying to help with this but failed miserably.
It's good to know you finally found the solution, and equally nice to know you thought to share it with us.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Dennis Magazines

Nice, top tip.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:57 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

*Smacks head against wall*

Sorry Paul, I use that folder all the time...I didn't think of it because I usually access it through Terminal and I didn't get the same mental representation of My Computer as I would have done if I had used Finder...

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:00 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

My desktop is becoming covered in HDs, folders, files... Once I get my Time Machine drive up and running again, there will be another. Add to that memory sticks, cameras, etc., these devices can eat up desktop space. Better, I thought, to keep them all in one place and reduce clutter. I’ll be putting an Alias to Volumes on my desktop as well as the one in the Dock, methinks.

Glad you all found this helpful too. All my hard drives on my desktop have been replaced by this:

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:19 pm
What's a life?

Been tinkering - the folder that is opened using the /Volumes/ trick does not show the proper icons for the drives. It also doesn’t give you the network. I picky - I want to see my iPod looking like an iPod. So I figured out that I should be able to open the Devices window.

In Finder, press Command+Shift+C to see the window I want. I can not make an ailas to this window, so I decide that some AppleScript attached to a folder as a folder Action could do this for me.

So, here’s what I have done.

1 - Copy and paste this AppleScript into your Script Editor:
Code:
(*
   This opens the Devices folder when the folder that this script is attached to is opened
*)

on opening folder targetFolder

tell application "Finder"
      activate
      tell application "System Events"
         keystroke "C" using {command down, shift down}
      end tell
   end tell

end opening folder

2 - Save it in ~/Library/Scripts/Folder Actions Scripts/ (you may have to create this folder)

3 - On your Desktop, create a new folder and give it a sensible name

4 - Right click on the folder and select More... > Enable Folder Actions

5 - Right-Click again, and select More... > Configure Folder Actions

6 - In the left hand column of the window that opens, add the folder

7 - In the right hand column, add the script using the + (it should give you a list of scripts - the new one should be there)

8 - OK the window

9 - Double click on the folder - the Devices folder should open!

Almost done, just two more things to do

10 - Apply an icon (if you want) to the folder

11 - Select the folder, and do a Get Info. Set the permissions for you from Read & Write to Read Only. This stops you dragging things into this folder as really it’s a dead end and serves as a trigger.

I did try saving this as an AppleScript application, but it didn’t work, hence this method. You also can’t drag files onto it and benefit from Spring Loaded goodness.

IUf anyone can get the folder I want as an alias, please let me know :-) Until then, I hope this is of use to others.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:40 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

paulzolo wrote:
2 - Save it in ~/Library/Scripts/Folder Actions Scripts/ (you may have to create this folder)

First time I tried this, I copied the folder name above and created it in the "Scripts" folder within my Home folder's Library folder. It didn't show up in the list of available scripts.

However, after comparing it to the top level Library folder, I discovered it should be called Folder Action Scripts - that's without the "s" on Actions. I assume this was just a typo, but other people might find this helpful.

Still, very clever though - how did you find this one out? I didn't realise you could write your own AppleScripts for use as Folder Actions, I foolishly thought you were stuck with the default Apple ones.

Great tip - thanks for sharing.

* Witty statement goes here *

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]