Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Hard disk reliability 
Doesn't have much of a life

Backup provider Backblaze published its findings for the tens of thousands of disks that it operated

Quote:
For a second year, the standout reliability leader was HGST. Now a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital, HGST inherited the technology and designs from Hitachi (which itself bought IBM's hard disk division). Across a range of models from 2 to 4 terabytes, the HGST models showed low failure rates; at worse, 2.3 percent failing a year. This includes some of the oldest disks among Backblaze's collection; 2TB Desktop 7K2000 models are on average 3.9 years old, but still have a failure rate of just 1.1 percent.

At the opposite end of the spectrum are Seagate disks. Last year, the two 1.5TB Seagate models used by Backblaze had failure rates of 25.4 percent (for the Barracuda 7200.11) and 9.9 percent (for the Barracuda LP). Those units fared a little better this time around, with failure rates of 23.8 and 9.6 percent, even though they were the oldest disks in the test (average ages of 4.7 and 4.9 years, respectively). However, their poor performance was eclipsed by the 3TB Barracuda 7200.14 units, which had a whopping 43.1 percent failure rate, in spite of an average age of just 2.2 years.

Interesting read.
Re Barracudas: I have a 7200.10 500gb model that is 7.5y old, I estimate that it ran for 11,000 hours in its lifetime. I really need to start thinking about retiring it, maybe use it as a backup drive that I only connect once a month.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:25 pm
What's a life?

Not really a good idea. If you are going to retire it, retire it.

If it has been running constantly for years, then turning it off now and not using it for long periods will probably see excessive bearing wear and the drive seazing.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Last edited by big_D on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:36 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

'seizing'?

We've got as LOT of drives here in various disk arrays - I mean.. definitely several hundred, possibly verging on 1000. All sorts, all brands. It's pretty much been my experience that once they have any sort of problem at all, it's a hiding to nothing to keep them. Especially given the price of consumer drives of reasonable capacity now, they're effectively consumables.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 am
What's a life?

My bad, to much writing in German and not enough coffee!

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:44 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
The only hard drives I've ever had issues with were Fujitsu drives.
Years ago at work we had two 20GB models fail within three days. As chance would have it, I had the same model in my PC at home. It failed six months later.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Another report on reliability:
HGST hard disks still super reliable

WD REDs not doing very well there, Seagates are better than others if you do SMART tests as they are good at giving a warning before they fail.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]