Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Cloud backup recommendations for Windows 10 
Doesn't have much of a life

Hi all,

Currently setting up a new Windows 10 laptop for my sister and I need a reliable, easy to use automatic cloud backup provider. The emphasis should be on something that once it’s set up it works transparently in the background and doesn’t need “fiddling” with - as she is technically not confident and I live 100 miles away so not easy for me to fix remotely!

Anyone got any recommendations, I’d estimate 50GB should be enough - split across 2 user accounts on the same PC. Don’t mind paying up to £50 a year for the right solution.

So far I’ve been reading up on iBackup and Acronis but both have a few drawbacks. When I bought the laptop, PC World were also pushing their own Cloud Backup service which costs £40 a year for up to 200GB, they demo’d it and it seems pretty easy to use but didn’t want to commit without a bit more research.

Thanks in advance

* Witty statement goes here *

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:51 pm
What's a life?

I use Carbonite. I have it my computers, my wife's and my daughter also has her own subscription.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:14 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I've got Acronis but I haven't used the cloud function. It's easy to set up and painless to run for local backups.

Will you sister be using Office at all?
Have you considered an Office 365 subscription? It comes with 1TB of OneDrive storage which is then built into Windows and it's now got file history functions.
Might be worth a look although it's a bit more than your £50/year budget.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 am
What's a life?

Office 365 is a good call, if she needs Office as well. I was thinking about pure backup solutions.

I use Office 365 Home (5 users, 5 devices, 1TB OneDrive per user, 1 hour SkypeOut for primary user), Carbonite for pure backup and a local NAS as secondary backup.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 am
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry, I should have said, we’ve ruled out Office365 already. We bought the full licence for MS Office 2016 as my sister didn’t want to go for a subscription model. We do have the free 5GB OneDrive which is a start but I don’t think it’s enough to backup everything. Initially, we may use the OneDrive for any critical files and then maybe backup the rest to an external drive.

Will check out Carbonite and Acronis in more detail in the meantime. Thanks!

* Witty statement goes here *

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]