Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
The BBBB is here! PC Gaming for £315 Exclusive to X404.co.uk 
Has a life

Danstevens wrote:

I have had a Maxtor drive fail on me but then I've heard horror stories from other people about other brands. I don't think Maxtor are particularly bad (despite having 1 fail) and you should be OK. Nowadays, there are very few HDDs that are just rubbish and to be avoided IMO and I think Geiseric agrees - hence the Maxtor drive. IIRC Maxtor is owned by Seagate now (or something like that) anyway.

As for an AMD based system, I believe Geiseric uses Intel because it offers better value at this price point. Intel processors tend to overclock better than AMD models so you'd have to spend less to get good performance.

Also, Tam, may I ask how you found us here? The question sounds weird but I promise it isn't lol. Some people are just interested in where the new users are finding us - be it through search engines, the old Dennis forums, whatever.

Well I was just asking about Maxtor for I've had first hand and direct report of bad experience. But like any manufactured product you have the bad lot and the worst one; it's just a matter of luck, I guess. As for AMD, I am just asking as they (AMD) are launching a new range it seems.

And how did I found you guys? I was just trying to get hold of the latest of Geiseric's BBBB and BBB as they have been decent advises in the past. So with a bit of time on my hand, I've just looked around. Truth to be told, the internet is just full of trail to follow, you just have to see the signs (on link here, one search result there, and so on).

Regards,

Tam

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Thank you for the feedback and it's reminded me I need to update the post.

As for Maxtor the reason for picking it was price/features, I consider most HDD manufactures to be on par with each other to be honest. Anyway there is no stopping you changing the HDD the BBBB is only a concept.

Richie

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:40 am
Has a life

Richie, any chance you will be doing the BBB soon? I'm planning a build (my first for about 6 years!) and wanted to base it on the BBB, but just as I planned to print your suggestions off, Dennis et al pulled the website.
Cheers,
Mike

Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:35 pm
Has a life

hi. i am very interested in getting the bbbb , would a better graphics card give it a good boost for gaming ?....thinking of getting this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... l?sap-4870 ...the ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB card.....that would be an extra 40 - 50 pounds ...just wondering if it would be worth it ?....cheers....good to see you all here :D

Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:24 pm

blackboab wrote:
hi. i am very interested in getting the bbbb , would a better graphics card give it a good boost for gaming ?....thinking of getting this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/spec ... l?sap-4870 ...the ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB card.....that would be an extra 40 - 50 pounds ...just wondering if it would be worth it ?....cheers....good to see you all here :D

The BBBB is a budget gamer designed for the 17/19" screen at moderate settings, if you have more budget then yes put it towards a higher spec GPU, what size screen are you going to use?

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:40 am

MDRedwood wrote:
Richie, any chance you will be doing the BBB soon? I'm planning a build (my first for about 6 years!) and wanted to base it on the BBB, but just as I planned to print your suggestions off, Dennis et al pulled the website.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike, I'm having a think about the BBB, my main problem is my thought path keeps matching the CPC Budget build......... :?

Richie

Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:44 am
Has a life

19 inch monitor i have at present... i have windows xp , Geiseric , would you recommend vista or am i better waiting for 7 ?....thanks for all the great pointers....took me a while to find your bbbb again but i found it eventually :)

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:44 pm
Legend

blackboab wrote:
would you recommend vista or am i better waiting for 7

Just some info on 7, release date etc:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.c ... id=116959&

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:04 pm

blackboab wrote:
19 inch monitor i have at present... i have windows xp , Geiseric , would you recommend vista or am i better waiting for 7 ?....thanks for all the great pointers....took me a while to find your bbbb again but i found it eventually :)

I’ve been using Vista 64 for a while now and have no problems with it; I would recommend 4GB of RAM if you're think Vista or W7 though and personally I would down load the W7 Candidate 1 and see what you think, your be able to use if for a year (010609) before needing to purchase a licence.

So possible idea - 4GB of RAM and an upgrade to a 4770, 250 or a 4850 with W7.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:49 pm
Has a life

thanks...now all i have to do is talk nice to the girlfriend... ;)

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:06 pm
Has a life

just ordered this as it is except i am getting 4gb of corsair memory instead of 2 and i am going to order a hd 4850 512mb card from overclockers for 84 pounds to boost the graphics a bit unless anyone has a better idea for around 80 bucks ??.....thanks again geiseric :D
ps....do you think windows 7 is ok to try on the new system or should i cough up for vista ??.....should i get 64 bit , dont know whats the difference :?

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 pm

blackboab wrote:
just ordered this as it is except i am getting 4gb of corsair memory instead of 2 and i am going to order a hd 4850 512mb card from overclockers for 84 pounds to boost the graphics a bit unless anyone has a better idea for around 80 bucks ??.....thanks again geiseric :D
ps....do you think windows 7 is ok to try on the new system or should i cough up for vista ??.....should i get 64 bit , dont know whats the difference :?

If your getting 4GB of Ram then you will need a 64BIT OS to utilise all the RAM and GPU memory, you should be able to download all the driver for W7 from the manufactures websites and personally I'd give it a go and use the link in my last post and run W7 Candidate 1 and see how you get on with it.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:07 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Forum Rules wrote:
9. Private selling is only allowed in the Classifieds Forums and is undertaken in accordance with the classified forum rules & at your own risk.

This thread is moved.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

l3v1ck wrote:
Forum Rules wrote:
9. Private selling is only allowed in the Classifieds Forums and is undertaken in accordance with the classified forum rules & at your own risk.

This thread is moved.

How does this class as private selling? It's advising what components to buy and shove in a computer...

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:27 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I suppose you could see that that way. Shall I move it back?

Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next